Alter do Chão Tips, Ideas, Experiences, Pix's, etc.!

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section one week ago, they have this headline: Deep in the Amazon, a Remarkable Beach Experience.

Here are some of their story highlights: Alter do Chão must rank among the world’s most alluring beach towns. White-sand beaches along the Tapajós River beckon visitors. The clear, warm waters lure snorkelers and practitioners of standup paddle boarding. Just want to chill? Sit in a cafe, sip an ice-cold bottle of Tijuca beer and gaze at the sun setting over forest-shrouded ridges teeming with wildlife like sloths and howler monkeys.

We enjoyed seeing Alter do Chão during our 2015 Amazon River cruise. It was a fun and interesting stop as I detailed and offered visuals earlier on this live/blog connected below. I will add here more pictures and details for what we did there in some later posts.

What were your experiences here? Please sure more!! Or, ask any questions.

In the NY Times piece, they have many photos and others details/options for visiting this location.

Full NY Times story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/world/americas/alter-do-chao-brazil-amazon-beach-town.html?_r=0

As linked below, we just got back from doing a Panama Canal cruise. This includes stops in Aruba, Cartagena/Colombia, Costa Rica and Cabo San Lucas. Great finish and sights in San Francisco. See many more details and pictures at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 49,140 views for these postings.

From our Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015, visit, here are some of my many visuals from our fun stop at Alter do Chao, Brazil. This was our last port stop along the Amazon River. We were there from 8 am to 1 pm. Many on the ship wished that we would have had much more time here.

This village has a nice, scenic location amid lush vegetation above the Tapajós River. Due to its sandy beaches and the river's clear water, Alter do Chao has become a popular local weekend resort.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 30,656 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here are folks on our ship using the tender to reach this village. Second, the ship Captain is already on shore and talking with passengers as they departed from the tender boat. Finally, as my wife and others are walking on their boardwalk towards the main part of the town, here are two cute local girls walking towards the one beach area where our tenders had docked.:

SCSeaDaysA14_zpsg3h3manf.jpg

SCSeaDaysA15_zpshpmrjz45.jpg

SCSeaDaysA16_zpsls8emvmu.jpg

Did this village have "items" to look at and buy? Of course!! Lots of options. More than needed in my view. But, I'm not much of a shopper!! Here is an example as the ladies were checking out these potentials nearby to the end of the boardwalk area. More shopping sights to come later.:

SCSeaDaysA17_zpssswabddz.jpg

There was a little sand island that could be reached by small boats. Here are a couple of visuals samples. Fun!! More to come later.:

SCSeaDaysA18_zpscsxuztt6.jpg

SCSeaDaysA19_zps81vcryrb.jpg

Here is round two from Alter do Chao. Lots of charm, comfort, shopping, beach-action, etc., here. Fun!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 175,508 views for this posting.

Here is one of ship program speakers, Dr. Laurel Corona, involved in the "research" aspects for local shopping. Yes, bargaining was permitted and did happen.:

SCSeaDaysA25_zpsbgeidwgf.jpg

This was the interior of their local Catholic church in this village.:

SCSeaDaysA26_zps9wgjw0k1.jpg

For the big money sum of $2, a rower took me out in the waters and around these beach areas. Very scenic!! Second is one of the fast recreational crafts speeding past in a fast manner. Plus, two more photo examples of the water/beach action where I could get "up close and personal".:

SCSeaDaysA20_zpsmrjhy9a1.jpg

SCSeaDaysA23_zps4h0nd8rj.jpg

SCSeaDaysA21_zpsafz7xfvn.jpg

SCSeaDaysA22_zps4teabttg.jpg

Then, it was time, unfortunately, to return to our ship and continue our sailing east along the Amazon River to reach the Atlantic Ocean and then Barbados. This was our last stop in Brazil. Great and interesting memories!!

Can share more pictures in my file, if of interest. Please don't be shy with your questions, comments, suggestions, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 211,236 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the view of the ship as we walk back along the wooden boardwalk to the docking area for the ship's tenders. You can see the Silver Cloud at anchor in the harbor area.:

SCSeaDaysA27_zpswzcf5x1n.jpg

Here is a closer view of the Silver Cloud while anchored at this wonderful setting just off of the main Amazon River.:

SCSeaDaysA28_zpsmcr9xvvh.jpg

• 2 months later...
The photos of the islands made me laugh. Hard to find a beach in Brazil, however remote, on which some enterprising soul hasn't set up to sell ice cold beer and at least fried fish. Glad you had a good time.

Appreciate these fun comments and this great follow-up. Yes, it's fun exploring and seeing these cultures, lifestyles, history, etc. Below is a connection for a live/blog from our March experiences in doing our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great San Francisco. Very special and interesting in seeing the Panama Canal and learning about its creation/construction. Getting ready in six days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first times in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580