Getting from Victoria to downtown Victoria

We are flying into Victoria and staying overnight so we can visit Buchart Gardens staying to see it in the evening. Then we plan on staying one night in Vancouver before boarding our cruise. So, I need to figure out how to get from Victoria to downtown Vancouver with luggage. We are light travelers so I expect that our luggage will be a roll-aboard and an under-seat bag each.

Looking at past articles, Pacific Coach lines was mentioned as the way to do this, but their website doesn't have info on it. I found an article from 2016 that says they lost the contract and the Wilson Group will be doing it but it looks from their website like they do it only once a day (7:30 to 11:45) and being on vacation, I'd rather have a later start.

Any idea how much taxi would cost to get to and from the ferry? Any other options?

Thoughts..

Thoughts....

• Wilson is bcfconnector. Same operation
  • website is not working for me now, but when I looked at bcfconnector.... there was something like a 7:15am morning run from Victoria to Vancouver for the day.
  • I noticed there was additional late afternoon/evening sailings if I tried to ride the bus from the ferry to Vancouver.

^Dates are crucial as the BCFconnector service levels vary seasonally. Since you did find a time I assume whatever your date is that this was the only early departure slot. Taxi pricing is metered, so there's always going to be a variance, but taxifarefinder does have accurate info for Victoria and Vancouver area cabs as they all use the same rates by law in both areas. Ballpark $80 on the island and another $90-100 on the mainland. If you're really considering a cab on each end you'd be much better off just taking a floatplane from harbour to harbour (approx $120pp, same as the new ferry, but with MUCH more flexible schedules and a very quick trip).

With the luggage you describe, public transit to ferry and from ferry to downtown Vancouver would be feasible. It's $2.50pp per trip on the island ($5 day pass - with no bus transfers any more depending exactly where your nearest bus stop is you may not be able to just buy a single ticket and a day pass would be easier than finding two sets of identical change), then over this side buses are all $2.75pp, with transfers included, but the day/time determines whether SkyTrain would be $4pp (weekdays < 6:30pm) or $2.75pp (weekends, evenings). You cannot transfer from bus to SkyTrain on your bus ticket, but need to buy another fare (credit card works for this, but buses need CAD$ cash).

Edit - just had a thought - I bet your limited departure is because you're looking at cruise terminal/downtown hotel dropoff. This does happen just once a morning, but the bus station where the several other daily buses go to is only a $15 cab ride from downtown hotels. Frankly the extra $10pp for that dropoff/pickup right downtown is a gyp - unless you're traveling solo it's cheaper, and opens up more convenient scheduling, to make your own way to/from Pacific Central Station!

What day are you trying to book for?

Here is the schedule, many more available than just 7:45

http://bcfconnector.com/schedules/

So, the problem is that the wiebsite that you get to when you click "book now" brings you to a page that requires you to put in pick up and drop off points before it will show time. I haven't been able to find anything that shows a full schedule (or even a map of what all the options are - not out-of-towner friendly at all).

Yesterday, I put in Victoria for pick-up and since I hadn't picked a hotel yet but figured that I'd get something downtown not far from the cruise terminal, I chose Canada Place for drop off. Then it only shows the 7:45 AM option. I didn't realize how much it limits based on that choice.

It turns out that if one picks Vancouver hotels that it shows two afternoon options. And, if one puts Vancouver Bus terminal (with one of the drop off locations being Fairmont Hotel Vancouver a couple of blocks from the hotel we booked), it is every 2 hours (and for some reason about $8 less fare).

I'm not sure it is the best option for us. The ferry costs $17.20. The BC Connector Victoria to Vancouver Bus Terminal costs $66.58 - almost $50 pp more. $100 for a service that doesn't seem to save much time. It seems like we could take taxis for not much more and public transit for a lot less.

Thoughts..

I saw the Prince of Wales options but we want to spend the late afternoon and evening at Buchart on Sunday and then go to Vancouver on Monday morning arriving Monday early afternoon. So neither of their options work out for us though the Whale Watch sounds convenient (leaving from Victoria and arriving Vancouver downtown) - it is about a 5 hour cruise so doesn't arrive in Vancouver until around 6 PM.

I think that the Wilson option you mention is the one I get when putting in "Onboard BC Ferries to Vancouver" and choose Vancouver hotels. That is only late in the day, but I can put in Vancouver Bus Terminal Fairmont Hotel Vancouver drop off for options every 2 hours (and a lower fare). The Fairmont is close enough to the Sutton hotel that we have reserved to work for us. I think that "Onboard BC Ferries" means that the fare doesn't include the ferry fare, but I'm not sure. This may be a good option for us or public transit.

I may look at what a rental car would cost for Victoria. The Airport isn't far from Swartz Bay and our hotel has free parking so possibly a rental car which we could then drop off at the airport and cab to the ferry terminal makes sense. It would take care of transport from the airport to the hotel and Buchart and back.

The link in my post above takes you right to the full schedule from downtown to downtown. Once you determine what time you might want to book, then pick the pick up and drop off location. It could be that the date you are wanting is already fully booked.

You could always just fly from Victoria to Vancouver, either from airport to airport or harbour to harbour via seaplane.

http://www.harbourair.com/book-a-flight/routes-schedules/

The link in my post above takes you right to the full schedule from downtown to downtown. Once you determine what time you might want to book, then pick the pick up and drop off location. It could be that the date you are wanting is already fully booked.

You could always just fly from Victoria to Vancouver, either from airport to airport or harbour to harbour via seaplane.

http://www.harbourair.com/book-a-flight/routes-schedules/

The date isn't fully booked. It is just that putting in Vancouver hotels or Cruise port narrows the choices. The Vancouver hotels choice doesn't show up on the schedule page, but the bus station drop off would work for us as it's choices include Hotel Vancouver. It would be nice if they had something documenting the routes and what drop offs they include rather than just trying different pull downs from the booking page. If I put in bus station, all the times show as available.

The harbour to harbour plane is attractive. I'll have to see if I can get my husband to go for it. Not sure how he will feel about a seaplane At 35 minutes (plus some transfer time at each end, it's a lot faster than the 3.5 to 4 hours the land plus ferry takes. Its about twice the cost but perhaps worth it.

I was ready to book the flight on Harbour Air and then I saw the baggage allowances which are pretty small. We are light travelers, but I think I need to pack a test bag and weigh it. 25 pounds for the guaranteed luggage allowance is pretty limiting and the goLite fare only includes 15 lb guaranteed luggage allowance. goFlex is $100 a person more. I don't mind paying the $1 a pound extra for weight over the limit but I'm concerned about what happens if they say they can't accommodate the extra weight.

I was ready to book the flight on Harbour Air and then I saw the baggage allowances which are pretty small. We are light travelers, but I think I need to pack a test bag and weigh it. 25 pounds for the guaranteed luggage allowance is pretty limiting and the goLite fare only includes 15 lb guaranteed luggage allowance. goFlex is $100 a person more. I don't mind paying the $1 a pound extra for weight over the limit but I'm concerned about what happens if they say they can't accommodate the extra weight.

Haven't yet flown with the new Go fares, but previously there was rarely a problem with luggage - worst case it came on the flight after yours. If anything the changes will result in less luggage being brought on, since the cheaper fares now have very low allowances.

Choosing a Twin Otter flight will guarantee a bigger plane that has more space - it has much greater luggage capacity than the single Otter or Beaver so unless everyone else onboard has suitcases rather than the more typical business people/daytrippers you should have no problems.

NB: that pricing is for the total party, not per person, on their booking engine so the price difference you're seeing between categories is for all pax.

Haven't yet flown with the new Go fares, but previously there was rarely a problem with luggage - worst case it came on the flight after yours. If anything the changes will result in less luggage being brought on, since the cheaper fares now have very low allowances.

Choosing a Twin Otter flight will guarantee a bigger plane that has more space - it has much greater luggage capacity than the single Otter or Beaver so unless everyone else onboard has suitcases rather than the more typical business people/daytrippers you should have no problems.

NB: that pricing is for the total party, not per person, on their booking engine so the price difference you're seeing between categories is for all pax.

Right about the pricing. I'd missed that. Actually, I'd read that the first time I looked at the fare and then forgot it when I was stressing about bag weight. So it is $100 more for the two of us for GoFlex. I did a very quick test pack and weigh on my bags. It came out to about 27 pounds for my roll-aboard and 7.5 for my daypack. I expect that actual weight would be no more than 40 pounds total for the two bags, so if I want to be sure my bags will go on the flight, it would be another $70 for GoGold

How can I tell which plane they use for each flight? I don't see it on the booking page. When they hit the limit is it usually weight or space? My husband and I aren't light ourselves.

Reading some old posts, I found out about Helijet. That has a 50 pound baggage allowance. It would be about $120 less for the two of us. But we've been on helicopters before. I was looking forward to a Seaplane.

How can I tell which plane they use for each flight? I don't see it on the booking page.

It usually shows Twin otter flights on the booking page - if it doesn't specify then it's either a Beaver or Single Otter (or possibly they have yet to decide between the smaller planes based on demand). They only have two Twin otters, so their flights are scheduled well in advance while the other planes do change at short notice. If you're booking a really far out date it's possible that no plane at all has been allocated to any slot yet though...

When they hit the limit is it usually weight or space? My husband and I aren't light ourselves.

Total weight (and balance) is an issue, especially on Beavers - that's why they ask for Adult Male and Female separately on tickets as they apply a heavier average weight for us dudes. But they don't actually weigh you - just try to stagger seating to roughly balance the passenger load. I've never been on a flight where bags were bumped because of chubsters! Space is a big factor when people are taking large suitcases onto small planes - soft bags and small bags fit much more efficiently into the sometimes odd nooks & crannies.

Reading some old posts, I found out about Helijet. That has a 50 pound baggage allowance. It would be about $120 less for the two of us. But we've been on helicopters before. I was looking forward to a Seaplane.

That's odd - HeliJet is more expensive than Harbourair. Always. It's a superior service - faster, smoother, and can land with instruments in bad weather whereas HA are strictly visual-only so whenever it's too foggy their flights are suspended.

As I mentioned above though I haven't booked with HA since the Go! fares started, but Go Gold is basically what the old general fare was so I'd be shocked if even that is pricier than HJ fares - are you perhaps comparing the price per person on HJ with the total price on HA? Even if you found an OffPeak HJ deal that doesn't get any less than about $185pp, with regular fare well north of $300 - my wife always takes HJ for regular meetings in Victoria because of the whole 'will still run if foggy' angle.

We are looking at a flight in early August. The booking page isn't identifying the planes for any of the flights. Perhaps that is too far out.

Perhaps Helijet has changed its fares recently.

Helijet off-peak fare is $179 per person and that's the fare it's quoting for our booking. (They also have a senior fare of $215 that would apply to us and a summer special full fare of $230.) There fall winter full fare is $315 and peak fare is $325.

Harbour Air GoFast and GoLite fares are less than the Helijet off-peak at $139 and $159 respectively. GoFlex and GoGold are more at $207 and $242.

So for a business day trip or any trip during peak times, Harbour Air would be cheaper. But for someone on holiday with luggage taking an off-peak fare Helijet can be cheaper.

Thanks for mentioning the other differences, particularly the ability to do instrument flights. It's all helpful info. I'm going to book the Helijet.

Harbour Air GoFast and GoLite fares are less than the Helijet off-peak at $139 and $159 respectively. GoFlex and GoGold are more at $207 and $242.

HJ prices haven't changed in a long while - my wife's been using them every couple of months for years. But the numbers you're quoting for HA are definitely much steeper than they used to be, and with less luggage! It's been a couple of years since we flew with HA but I've never paid more than $120pp for a full-luggage-allowance, prebooked fare. Is your date is on the holiday weekend (ending Mon Aug 7)? That would explain HA jacking up pricing a bit - they get more leisure than business travel, almost the opposite of HJ.

HJ prices haven't changed in a long while - my wife's been using them every couple of months for years. But the numbers you're quoting for HA are definitely much steeper than they used to be, and with less luggage! It's been a couple of years since we flew with HA but I've never paid more than $120pp for a full-luggage-allowance, prebooked fare. Is your date is on the holiday weekend (ending Mon Aug 7)? That would explain HA jacking up pricing a bit - they get more leisure than business travel, almost the opposite of HJ.

We are flying on the morning of Aug 7, but that seems to be their regular pricing. I looked at other days. and the pricing was the same. The least expensive way of ensuring that two people could bring at least 50 pounds of luggage each would be to buy 3 GoFast tickets because HA says you that you can buy and extra seat to bring up to 150 pounds luggage. That would be $417 so it is still more than two off-peak Helijet seats at $360. There weren't 3 GoFast seats available for the time we wanted. 3 GoFlex seats is withing a few dollars of 2 GoGold seats

There are flights at $99pp on both of the prior days for GoFast, and $132pp for GoLite - you're definitely paying holiday prices Monday 7th.

I'm doubly-glad that a) I'm not going senile and totally forgetting the ballpark price comparison of HA & HJ; and b) that with the new Go! pricing there actually are tickets available for less than the previous price structure if you fly with minimal luggage (last time we got <$100pp fare without flying Standby must have been close to a decade ago).

There are flights at $99pp on both of the prior days for GoFast, and $132pp for GoLite - you're definitely paying holiday prices Monday 7th.

I'm doubly-glad that a) I'm not going senile and totally forgetting the ballpark price comparison of HA & HJ; and b) that with the new Go! pricing there actually are tickets available for less than the previous price structure if you fly with minimal luggage (last time we got <$100pp fare without flying Standby must have been close to a decade ago).

You can reserve a flight at less $100 pp if you are flying on Sat or Sun at 4:30 PM. I was only looking at morning flights.I see one flight per day (16:30 departure) that has lower prices for all the classes ($40 to 53 less depending on class). That price is on that flight for all weekend days that I look at.

Days in August that I've checked, the pricing on flights other than the weekend 1630 is constant at the rates I mentioned in the earlier post. The prices on Monday 7 Aug are the same as the prices on Wed 9 Aug, Mon 14 Aug. I see the lower pricing on scattered flights on July days. Perhaps on some time frame they lower prices on flights that aren't booking up well.