Global Entry & TSA Pre✓

Cruiseoholic000

A couple of points:

1) The Pre-Check "benefit" is merely that you qualify for it. However, there is NO guarantee. At any time, you may be randomly (or otherwise) denied Pre-Check and have to go through regular security screening.

2) There is no GOES kiosk or GOES program. The program you are enrolled in is Global Entry. GOES is the acronym for "Global Online Enrollment System". That is only used for the initial application or for any changes in your status or personal information (such as passport number change).

3) It is not merely for domestic travel. There are a number of international carriers that are part of the Pre-Check program, including AeroMexico, AirCanada, Etihad, Lufthansa and WestJet.

Other than that.....

1) From what I've read, "significantly increased odds" would be a better way of stating the TSA Precheck eligibility.

2) No comment.

3) MY use of the program was for a single international trip, and future domestic travel over 5 years.

Customs had such a long line? Or, was it immigration?

Actually, both had long lines. We "kiosked" Customs, bypassing the line, and then got fast-tracked through immigration with our Global Entry receipt. The lines were daunting both places, and we were very happy to avoid them.

We were so intent on getting my friend out of TBIT and over to Terminal 1 that we just followed signs and were grateful to avoid the lines.

We both thought the $100 fee, and 5 years of "significantly increased odds" for TSA Pre-Check was money well spent.

Actually, both had long lines. We "kiosked" Customs, bypassing the line, and then got fast-tracked through immigration with our Global Entry receipt. The lines were daunting both places, and we were very happy to avoid them.

We were so intent on getting my friend out of TBIT and over to Terminal 1 that we just followed signs and were grateful to avoid the lines.

We both thought the $100 fee, and 5 years of "significantly increased odds" for TSA Pre-Check was money well spent.

Actually, it is typically the other way around. You typically go through passport check (Immigration) first, which is where the GE kiosks are. Then you claim your bag(s), and go to Customs. At least that is how we have done in it many locations...but not at LAX. Haven't re-entered the US there in many years.

After you obtain your receipt from the kiosk, you will probably be waved through Customs. At least we have been. At SFO, Customs has a separate line if you have a GE receipt, and it is pretty much just a wave through.

You clear immigration first, get your bags and then clear customs. I agree that GE is worth it.

You clear immigration first, get your bags and then clear customs. I agree that GE is worth it.

HA! Shows how much attention I was paying to who was who that evening! I guess 24 hours with no sleep (I cannot sleep on planes), and the anxiety of getting my friend to her SW flight, I just went where they wanted me, and showed them what they wanted to see. :D

• 1 month later...

We just applied for Global Entry four days ago, and received conditional approval last night. The first available interview appointment at O'Hare was at 10:45 this morning! I was astonished. We actually made the appointments for a date about two weeks out. So far, it's going better than I had expected.

We had the same experience. Only took 3 days to get temporary approval. Have interview scheduled for next week.

We could have gone for that the next day but it was in heavy traffic time to and from DFW. Something is working!

Always check for cancellations, if you have an interview scheduled you can always take a chance and just show up on another day to take a slot of a no show. Some places allow it some don't really depends on the staff there at the time you show up.

• 1 month later...

Get the Global Entry! Even if you only use it once in 5 years, it's worth the $15 extra. It saved us several hours at Dulles, in the immigration line and again in the customs line.

Get the Global Entry! Even if you only use it once in 5 years, it's worth the $15 extra. It saved us several hours at Dulles, in the immigration line and again in the customs line.

I've used the GE card for faster screening when returning from a closed loop cruise. Still had my PP but used to card for a different line.

I've used the GE card all the time with land crossing back from Canada though entering Canada last time the Canadian official would not accept it. Said it was a US program not valid for entry into Canada and where was my PP and was denied entry so what is the point if I have to carry my PP for land crossing into Canada?

(Rental car all the time so can't use Nexus)

I've used the GE card for faster screening when returning from a closed loop cruise. Still had my PP but used to card for a different line.

I've used the GE card all the time with land crossing back from Canada though entering Canada last time the Canadian official would not accept it. Said it was a US program not valid for entry into Canada and where was my PP and was denied entry so what is the point if I have to carry my PP for land crossing into Canada?

(Rental car all the time so can't use Nexus)

You don't need to register a vehicle to use the NEXUS lanes - that only applies to Sentri (Mexico). Rental cars are fine. It's on the GOES website (that you don't need to register it).

• 4 weeks later...

Last Monday night at Boston, my mom and I arrived from Iceland together; I have global entry and she does not.

From the time we exited the plane until the time I was at baggage claim to wait for our luggage was about 5 minutes. Then I waited almost an hour for her to appear. Customs was much better, where there was no one in the global entry line so I only had to wait about 5 minutes for her to get through the regular customs exit.

• 2 weeks later...
Like I said somewhere before - I used the chance for my GE interview for a weekend trip to Las Vegas. At the time, it was the closest interview office to my home anyway (6 hours or so drive-time, 1 hr fly-time). Made enough profit from craps to pay for the trip!

I interviewed in Las Vegas also; the office was tough to find, but an airport employee Walked me to the right door.