THE Security Question

teacherman

The last time I flew on Delta out of Schipol back to the USA, we went through several layers of screening. At one of the security checkpoints, I was asked the question, "Have your bags been out of your sight since you packed them?" I answered "YES". The agent looked at me as though I was a terrorist, called over a supervisor, and went through it all again. They asked "why". When I responded that I was on a cruise ship, and after packing your bag, you put it in the hallway for someone to take, and you may not see it again for 12 hours, they still did not seem to understand. They behaved as though I was the first person to ever tell them this.

I will again fly from Schipol next month, and now I don't know if I want the hassle of telling the truth. Probably not a big deal, but have any of you honestly answered the question? If so, what was the reaction?

When I get my luggage back from the cruise line I check to make sure it is still locked indicating that it had not been tampered with. (In reality, I lock the luggage for debarkation and unlock the luggage for the flight.)

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I think it was 4 years ago. The only thing strange was that none of them seemed to know about leaving your luggage outside your room to be picked up the last night of the cruise. When I told them that almost everyone on a cruise ship does that they looked shocked.

I don't remember being asked that question in years? How long ago did it happen?

This is a pretty standard question, IMO, but obviously depends on the airline and their policies.

I often don't get asked it is if I check-in online where the questions about checked luggage normally cover it so the airport agent doesn't have to ask.

We have been asked that very question every time we have flown out of Amsterdam. Each time I have answered the same way, saying each suitcase was packed and locked in our room, was placed outside our room as instructed, was picked up outside our room on the ship by the cruise line personnel and delivered to us at the airport. Other than the cruise line personnel, no one other than us had access to the luggage.

Never had a problem with that answer to the Security personnel.

The last time I flew on Delta out of Schipol back to the USA...I was asked the question, "Have your bags been out of your sight since you packed them?"

I don't remember being asked that question in years? How long ago did it happen?

In my experience, the question is rarely if ever asked in the US anymore (I haven't been asked in many, many years), but it's common in Europe.

In my experience, the question is rarely if ever asked in the US anymore (I haven't been asked in many, many years), but it's common in Europe.
I don't often fly with checked bags to other European destinations, but I can't remember the last time I was asked this in the UK. In fact, I can't actually remember the last time I was asked this anywhere, although it's possible that once or twice I've simply answered the question and forgotten that it was asked - but it's certainly not been a routine part of my recent flying.

I haven't returned through Schipol since they changed (in 2015) from gate security to centralized security for international flights. But, it was always asked back when they did the gate security, which was like a formal interrogation with an official. That theater seemed to be well done and made me feel safe.

I was also trying to think why the question wasn't an issue for us, until I realized we've always stayed an extra day after the cruise. For the life of me I can't remember what questions are asked in CDG (which has been the return airport for the past few trips).

We returned via AMS last week. If you are flying Delta, originating at AMS you will have two security checks. And yes we were asked about luggage "security." Just weeks before we flew from AMS on SAS and were not asked about our luggage possession.

Nine months ago using FCO, FLR and CDG we were not asked the luggage possession queries.

Just a word about keeping luggage secure. Approved luggage locks can all be opened with a TSA master key...which is not a problem for a luggage thief. And other locks (that use keys) can also quickly be opened by a luggage thief. So when we check luggage (be it on a ship or at an airport) we put small zip ties on each piece of our luggage. Zip ties are very cheap, you can buy them in any hardware store, auto parts store, etc. and there are enough colors and sizes to ensure that yours will be somewhat difficult to replace. So when we later retrieve our luggage we immediately check to see if our zip ties are intact...which means nobody has been inside our luggage.

As to the airport question ("have the bags been our of your sight") most airport security services have now stopped asking the question (probably because most folks lied). But with our zip tie system we would feel comfortable telling a white lie.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't returned through Schipol since they changed (in 2015) from gate security to centralized security for international flights. But, it was always asked back when they did the gate security, which was like a formal interrogation with an official. That theater seemed to be well done and made me feel safe.

I was also trying to think why the question wasn't an issue for us, until I realized we've always stayed an extra day after the cruise. For the life of me I can't remember what questions are asked in CDG (which has been the return airport for the past few trips).

Just returned from CDG.

No questions from Security.

Much easier then many years ago.

Keith