Transporting Champagne

We will be driving from the US into Canada to see Banff/Kamloops/Calgary in August- land tour- not a cruise. What is the restrictions or rules on transporting bottles of champagne across the border into Canada. I am thinking 8 or 10.

Thank you in advance.

How many of there are you? You each have an allowance.

"Visitors to Canada

The following duty-free allowances apply to each visitor entering into Canada:

• Gifts (excludes alcohol and tobacco) valued at no more than CAN$60 each.
  • 1.5 L of wine or 1.14 L of liquor or 24 x 355 ml cans or bottles (8.5 L) of beer or ale.
  • 200 cigarettes, 200 tobacco sticks, 50 cigars or cigarillos and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

There are 2 of us. So 2 750 ml bottles each?

Yes, per the section I quoted and the website, that would be the permitted amount before any duty was levied. Now, having said that, as a resident they did let us through with an extra bottle of rum one time. We declared it - did not try to hide it - he said, "Thank you for declaring." and let us go without paying duty. My point is you may or may not be allowed more without penalty, but I do think 8 - 10 bottles is pushing it. I'm almost certain they would assess duty and charge you for the extra. I'm trying to find how much the duty would be, but it's late for me right now and my head hurts. :(

Can you make due with 4 bottles, perhaps purchasing some while in Canada? I know the prices are probably higher here but given that you may have to pay for your extra bottles, it might all just work out?...

Don't know what calibre/grade of champagnes you buy but the prices I've seen in WA state (or World Markets in various states) can make it not that much of a bargain down south for the most expensive/better stuff.

You can have a look at this selection, add ~15% tax + 10 cent deposit (which you can actully get back unlike, say in CA)

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue?type=wine&country=france&wine=sparkling%20%26%20champagne&start=20

If you cross the border with Alberta - not BC - from the US then it's a MUCH better deal paying duty on excess booze. While the federal taxes all still apply at the same rates, AB has significantly lower 'sin taxes' than BC. Each bottle of wine will attract pretty modest Federal taxes (50c+5% of value per bottle) but the difference in Provincial rates is huge - a CAD$50 of French champagne will incur approx $27 total fees here in BC - but AB would charge you less than $7 for the same bottle... This website (also an android app these days) does the math for you.

In case you are moving between provinces on your trip, fortunately (since 2012) it's now legal to move booze across provincial borders - but the amount is capped at various levels. Alberta doesn't care how much you bring in, but if you bring more than a case of wine (9L) per legal-age adult the other way into BC you're facing criminal bootlegging charges!