Our first Costa cruise on the Diadema Day by Day

ighten

We didnt do the White Night (well we walked through and had a peep as it took place in the Lido - very full as the Italians love this sort of party) - I feel like I have been white nighted to death with NCL and Celeb though so we settled into a quiet bar.

Yes the gala night is fun though.

October will be a good time for this cruise - still decent weather (in fact excellent from our last October Med cruises - I cant stand the stifling hot summers) and not too many school holidays crowding the ship

Hi Ighten

Currently furiously planning our cruise on the Diadema.

What time did you get the bus off the ship? We booked the same. I am trying to form an idea of time spent. We've been to St.Peter's last year and don't want to do that again. I seen to remember it took close to 2hrs to get to Rome because the early morning traffic was crazy.

I thought Colosseum, Forum/Palatine Hill area up to the Typewriter and then towards the Pantheon area where I want to see a church and have lunch. Possibly then to the bridge of angels and then walk back.(or get a taxi).

Also what time did you have to be back for the bus?

Very excited but I always overplan and then we don't get to do half the stuff I wanted to do.

Alicat

• 1 month later...
Hi Ighten

Currently furiously planning our cruise on the Diadema.

What time did you get the bus off the ship? We booked the same. I am trying to form an idea of time spent. We've been to St.Peter's last year and don't want to do that again. I seen to remember it took close to 2hrs to get to Rome because the early morning traffic was crazy.

I thought Colosseum, Forum/Palatine Hill area up to the Typewriter and then towards the Pantheon area where I want to see a church and have lunch. Possibly then to the bridge of angels and then walk back.(or get a taxi).

Also what time did you have to be back for the bus?

Very excited but I always overplan and then we don't get to do half the stuff I wanted to do.

Alicat

Hi Alicat only just seen this ..

Bus left at 8am I think and pick up 4pm ish. We walked everywhere but it was a long way back to the bus pick up point:( taxi would be best. You can see what we did on our blog ( if you havent already:)) Enjoy!

Hi Ighten

Got back from our cruise on Saturday. Rome was very warm and tiring. As you said a lot of walking and queueing as well.

Bus only left at 9.15 for us and return was 4.15. Dropped off at Teatro Marcello. That added substantially to the walking. We were going to do Colloseum followed by Forum and got prebooked tickets. As we only got to Rome late morning we went to the Colloseum and when we came out there were so many people standing in the blazing waiting to enter the forum that we gave up and just looked from outside.

The ship was quite full and with lots of kids:mad:. Never went anywhere near the pools.

La Spezia is from now off the itinerary. Diadema will be stopping in Cagligiary instead.

I read your blog. It is great.

Hope to see more cruise blogging from you soon.

Alicat

Thx Alicat - off on our first Baltic on Saturday so looking forward to that (back with NCL). I think its best to use Costas med cruises slightly off season when its warm enough for us Brits - but the Italians and Spanish think its freezing so the decks and pools are empty. Plus you can usually get two balcony rooms for not much more than one - handy if someone snores :rolleyes::*

So who has the snoring problem I wonder?

We did the Baltics last year in July with Costa on the Luminosa. It was fantastic. Different crowd to the Med. Not many kids but still lots of Italians, French etc. We started in Stockholm and ended there. Went to Helsinki (on our ow own and enjoyed a market in town), 2 days in SPB(Private tours with Alla). We managed to not have issues getting off the ship early and minimal queueing at immigration( very serious soviet ladies, no smiles!). Two very full days but well organised and enjoyable. We also went to Talinn which we did no our own just strolling obout. It wa lovely. Great people, friendly and speaks good English. Stockholm VERY expensive. We paid the equivalent of £50 for a taxi from station to port. Probably about 5+ Kms. Just to far to walk with suitcases.

We are looking at an early September cruise with Costa. We are a bit locked in. Hubby is Perla Diamante. Lots of perks. On the Diadema we had all our meals in the club restaurant, Though it is the same food(I think as MDR) it is quiet and relaxed. Lets not mention that they had fillet steak with chips on the allways available and that a certain somebody managed that every night including 2 lunches! And they cooked it as he requested "rare".

Please do your blog on this cruise. I will keep an eye on the NCL boards.

Have an amazing time.

Alicat

• 2 weeks later...