Thomson Majesty

You can do Capri on your own. You will find the ferry terminal close to where the ship docks. Much cheaper than the organised excursion. You can also do Rome , but we never have due to the worry about missing the boat! There is loads of info about both of these trips on the Ports of Call board on here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can do Capri on your own. You will find the ferry terminal close to where the ship docks. Much cheaper than the organised excursion. You can also do Rome , but we never have due to the worry about missing the boat! There is loads of info about both of these trips on the Ports of Call board on here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be careful with Rome.

When we docked last week on Freedom of the seas 30 minutes after sail time there were 187 passengers missing but ship waited as they were on ship tours.

We spoke to someone who was late and travelling independently that a 30 minute train journey took 2.5 hours.

2 passengers turned up in a taxi when the ship was moving from the quayside and missed the ship.

If you are doing Capri on your own be sure to get an early ferry back. On Discovery a couple of weeks ago 2 couples had gone to Capri on their own and the return ferry broke down. They contacted the ship and we waited some time for them, luckily the captain was in a good mood.

:cool:Hi

We are going on the Thomson Majesty and wanting to do trips to Capri and Rome. Has anyone got best way to do these trips? Thanks 😊

Don't know how many cruises you have been on but if you are not used to cruising be wary about trips on your own its just not worth the worry unless you know exactly what you are doing good luck .

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

We went on a 14 day cruise and visited Rome twice. The first week we paid for a walking tour with a guide. She took us around Rome and gave us information as we walked. I would recommend it. She was very good. The 2nd week we paid for 'Rome on your own and back' with the excursions desk. It was the coach there and back and we made our own way around. As it was booked as a Thomson excursion they would have had to wait for us if the coach was late. I would not sort the transport myself in case I was late back. If you go in the Vatican buy an express entry ticket from a kiosk outside St Paul's Basilica. It cost about 16 euros each which is a bit more expensive than the normal entry but they take you to the front of the queue and you don't have a very long wait. Some people had to queue for 3 hours. It is worth the extra cost.

Agree with shinycruiser do not do Rome on your own I've heard a few people were robbed on the train and some didn't make it back for the ship in time

We did Capri on our own and thought we had bought a return ticket which is what we had asked for Were at the front of the queue for the return ferry which was earlier than necessary and found we had no return ticket I had to run round to a kiosk quite away away to buy tickets, wait in a queue for ages and we missed that ferry The next ferry had to wait outside Naples port for a cruise ship leaving - we were in the container port further away and had to get a taxi back and only just made the ship - so do make sure you've got the right tickets and as said before get the earlier ferry - it's a beautiful island you'll love it