Paul Gauguin: 2017 Drydock

MightyQuinn

We're considering the Fiji-Bali voyage in April 2017 but have just learned that it would be the last cruise immediately before PG goes into drydock. I've read numerous accounts on CC that it's best to avoid sailings right before and right after drydock. I'm not sure if that advice would apply to a small ship like PG but it does give me pause. Does anyone know what's planned for the PG drydock? Where will it take place? Any first-hand experience with sailings on PG right before a scheduled drydock?

There was a problem following a drydock when the ship was delayed. Haven't heard of a problem before.

Drydock will be In Singapore. The last Drydock was in 2014 from what I recall just prior to the Reunion. I am not sure of this but I think this one will be a hard Drydock including engines etc. Much of 2014 dealt with soft work, furnishings and the like.

Due to dry dock, passengers will be able to enjoy an itinerary not usually offered to PG customers. We chose to take the return voyage in order to enjoy this itinerary.

I'm not worried about any delays since the PG will take care of us royally no matter what!!!

Thanks Emdee. The concern I've read about for cruises immediately before drydock relates to contractors coming aboard and starting work early, assembling stuff on open decks or restricting pax access to certain areas of the ship. It's also been reported that staff/crew adopt a "who cares" attitude to any issues that arise, knowing that problems will be fixed in drydock and don't need attention now. I hope this wouldn't happen on PG, but it's something for us to consider.

I haven't done this on the PG, but have on Regent Navigator, both immediately after and immediately before drydock. The *before* made no difference whatsoever, on the *after* there was a bit of work being done to finish up, but very minor. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I agree about the uniqueness of these itineraries. I know, different line, but the PG standards are high--they always do their best, and I can't imagine them having a "don't care" attitude.

Thanks for your comments Wendy. I agree it's unlikely that the pre-drydock concerns I read about on other lines would happen on PG. I attended a PG webinar yesterday and the presenter referred to the drydock as "routine mechanical". I have no idea what that entails but it made me feel less concerned.

Thanks Emdee. The concern I've read about for cruises immediately before drydock relates to contractors coming aboard and starting work early, assembling stuff on open decks or restricting pax access to certain areas of the ship. It's also been reported that staff/crew adopt a "who cares" attitude to any issues that arise, knowing that problems will be fixed in drydock and don't need attention now. I hope this wouldn't happen on PG, but it's something for us to consider.

We hope to welcome you aboard the m/s Paul Gauguin Mighty Quinn!

Plans for the 2017 drydock in Singapore are being worked on now. The ship will not be cruising with guests from Bali to Singapore or from Singapore to Bali.

All of our staff aboard the m/s Paul Gauguin are extremely professional with most having been on for many years, so this has not been an issue before.

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Plans for the 2017 drydock in Singapore are being worked on now. The ship will not be cruising with guests from Bali to Singapore or from Singapore to Bali.

All of our staff aboard the m/s Paul Gauguin are extremely professional with most having been on for many years, so this has not been an issue before.

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

I appreciate your reply pgcruises! It's reassuring to know it will be business as usual aboard PG right before drydock. I'm impressed that you're planning to sail empty on the buffer days between Bali and Singapore, thereby minimizing or eliminating any potential impact on guests. We look forward to sailing with you again.

• 2 weeks later...
I appreciate your reply pgcruises! It's reassuring to know it will be business as usual aboard PG right before drydock. I'm impressed that you're planning to sail empty on the buffer days between Bali and Singapore, thereby minimizing or eliminating any potential impact on guests. We look forward to sailing with you again.

We jumped on board in Cairns in 2014 en route to Lautoka. That was after dry dock in Singapore and the ship was as spiffy as always. The itinerary took us to places that few have visited. The little island of Samurai had not seen a cruise ship in 10-15 years. The ship delivered about $10K in school supplies from a benefactor so you can imagine the excitement. We were greeted at the small dock by the entire village dressed in their ceremonial garb.

I would recommend to anyone interested in Micronesia, Vanuatu and Fiji to take advantage of this special cruise.

• 9 months later...
Due to dry dock, passengers will be able to enjoy an itinerary not usually offered to PG customers. We chose to take the return voyage in order to enjoy this itinerary.

I'm not worried about any delays since the PG will take care of us royally no matter what!!!

We are book on Bali to Fiji and the Fiji to Tahiti after dry dock. Flying in to Bali a few days ahead. If the ship gets delays coming out of dry dock will just have to enjoy Bali a few extra days...darn!

So excited for our cruises after dry Dock!! When we saw the itinerary while onboard our first PG cruise last April it was a no brained for us to book B2B right then to get best pricing. So glad we did. Have been on a cruise last one pre a dry dock on another line that wasn't so good but figured whether befor or after on PG would be perfect as they are a top notch line.

Looking forward to the exciting itinerary and all the time onboard enjoying the PG with other like minded people.

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Hey PGCruises,

Anything special about the 2017 drydock or is it just routine maintenance? Planning a September 2018 cruise and was curious as to any planned modifications.

Hey PGCruises,

Anything special about the 2017 drydock or is it just routine maintenance? Planning a September 2018 cruise and was curious as to any planned modifications.

From what I have heard this one will be both hard and soft. Some engine work is expected as well as some updates to furnishings and fixtures.

• 2 months later...

Kind Regards,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Any word on whether there will be hot tubs added to the ship at dry dock? I certainly think they would be a welcome addition. :)

Check out the following website for what the PG has done in dry dock: www.pgcruises.com/newsletter/drydock-2017. Company had work done on threshers, propulsion and cleaning of hull, etc. Visible to passengers: carpeting, new decking in marina and on deck 8, refreshing of palette, new seating in restaurants and on deck 8.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
I disagree about hot tubs. It's really not the climate for it. Far too hot. And I'm a hot tub lover.

Found that they were needed when we cruised over Christmas a couple years ago. Was cooler and dry then, so hot tubs were what WE wanted. :)