10-day RT Vancouver April/May vs Sept/Oct?

Considering RT Vancouver itineraries for 2018:

April 25 (includes Monterey, Star Princess) vs

Sept 24 (substitutes San Diego, Emerald Princess).

Both overnight in San Francisco and other ports are the same.

We've sailed on both ships before.

Also, spring vs fall?

Any suggestions?

Thoughts....

• if you are planning an Alaskan cruise shortly after the repo. April/May is preferred for dryer weather.
  • Sept/Oct may be cheaper.... you "might" even see the fall colors in the area.
  • think late May when more attractions are open in Vancouver
  • If you live in California.... the fall cruise means you can load up more on souvenirs without worrying about airline weight surcharges.

One year we did a late Sept Alaska cruise followed by a mid-May the next year.

My thoughts on this:

May was better in so much as we had alot more sunlight time. This came in handy on our last day coming back to Vancouver.

Late Sept was better to get in close to glaciers and Tracey Arm. In May we missed Tracey Arm becuase of the ice and we also cold not get as close to the large glacier in Glacier Bay (not a big deal for us as we had just seen it, but many people were very disappointed).

Hello again!

Thanks for your ideas. We've done an Alaska cruise before from Seattle.:) It was in July... and it worked out great... don't plan to do another, though.

The two cruise dates I posted are very specific itineraries offered (on Princess... we just made Elite). They offer it only once each spring and fall and we're set on taking it... just looking for input on if spring or fall might be better, keeping in mind the port change from Monterey to San Diego.

We live on East Coast Canada so RT Vancouver for this new-to-us itinerary is very appealing. We can use fewer Aeroplan miles to get to Vancouver than the US and San Francisco, where the ship overnights, is on the bucket list.;) A short visit and better than none.

The fall sailing is actually a bit more expensive but that's not the determining factor. Looking forward to receiving more input.

• 3 weeks later...

If it was an overnight (or a week) in one of these, San Diego in a heartbeat - it obviously offers a metric buttload more stuff to do than Monterrey - but if you haven't already done the aquarium at the latter it alone could easily fill your one day in port...

Weather-wise I'd go for May - longer days, lower temps in the more southern stops (although maybe hotter is a plus for you rather than a minus!) with average highs at least 5C higher in Sep than May for southern CA.

If it was an overnight (or a week) in one of these, San Diego in a heartbeat - it obviously offers a metric buttload more stuff to do than Monterrey - but if you haven't already done the aquarium at the latter it alone could easily fill your one day in port...

Weather-wise I'd go for May - longer days, lower temps in the more southern stops (although maybe hotter is a plus for you rather than a minus!) with average highs at least 5C higher in Sep than May for southern CA.

Thanks for your reply and, yes, hotter is a plus for us. :cool: If we choose the September 24 sailing, I'm hoping that the ports will still be nice and warm!

I haven't yet researched either port but assumed that San Diego would be better, even though we're not aquarium or zoo people.