1st time solo - RCI - mini review

aussielozzie18

Hi there

Just returned today from my first solo cruise. Thought I would post here a mini review of my experience from a solo point of view.

Explorer of the Seas - 10 nights - South Pacific

Cabin - Virtual Balcony cabin. Loved this concept. Have previously stayed in an inside and an balcony. Would definately book a virtual balcony cabin again if cruising solo.

Dining - booked late so couldnt get into MTD and dining assignment was 8.30pm which is too late for me. Ship was fully booked so didnt bother asking for a change on boarding. So, mainly ate in Windjammer.

Never had a problem finding a table. Always took a lightweight bag which had a book inside to leave on the table when I needed to go off and get a drink or dessert. The one time I forgot to bring a bag, I borrowed a walking stick from a lady I had just assisted to sit down near me and used it to mind my window table!

Pool - at both the main pool and the solarium, I would leave my bag under a towel with an open book on the top and they were always there minding my seat when I came back from a swim.

Solo lunch meet up - there was one on the 3rd sea day and 2 on the last two sea days. I had prebooked lunch already so missed one but the two I attended were enjoyable and the other solos were friendly and chatty. Didnt realise that they were hosted by RCI staff. The first staff member was lovely but too quiet imo. The 2nd host arranged our table but couldnt stay for lunch as he was double booked.

Giovannis pasta demo,lunch and gallery tour - seated at a table with one other solo who was lovely. Unfortunately, this was held on the one day we had 5m seas and my tablemate (and several others) got seasickand had to leave before entree was served, so I ended up sitting by myself thru 3 courses. Still had a nice time and the food was delish.

Ports - this was a South Pacific itinerary so mainly swimming and snorkelling.

Vila, Vanuatu. this port is known for having pushy taxi drivers so I decided being a solo female, a RCI tour was the way to go. Did a sail and snorkel tour.Our gear was left on boat so no issues there. Snorkelling was in deep water but they had 3 vigilant crew in dinghys keeping an eye on everyone. I drifted quite a bit and suddenly I had a dinghy next to me telling me to swim to a more central spot so I felt well looked after. Other cruisers on this tour very friendly.

Mystery Island - Day of swimming and snorkelling. Small island with cruisers from our ship only everywhere. No issues leaving my gear on the beach and there were always lots of other snorkellers in the water near me.

Isle of Pines - another day of just swimming. Wore my sunglasses in the water if I was sitting in the water for any length of time so I could keep an eye on my gear.

Noumea - did a hop on hop off bus and spent a couple of hours at the excellent Aquarium so easy peasey for a solo.

Watched a few movies at night on the pool deck and went to some of the production shows, although the shows werent great on this particular cruise.

Room steward was excellent and looked after me well and the Windjammer staff got to know me and were lovely as well.

Never bored or lonely and had a great first solo cruise.

Loving the book idea and donating, leaving room to bring home trinkets lol. My first solo cruise (and first cruise ever) is in 3 weeks. Different line and itinerary but I really appreciate you sharing your trip. It makes me more confident and excited for mine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Olirhone, I am sure you will have a great cruise.

I got the idea of donating my books from my first cruise, when I found someone had donated a signed copy of one of my favourite author's new releases to the library. It was such a pleasure to find, read and return.

Olirhone, I am sure you will have a great cruise.

I got the idea of donating my books from my first cruise, when I found someone had donated a signed copy of one of my favourite author's new releases to the library. It was such a pleasure to find, read and return.

I always love to hear about favorite authors. May I ask which author you're referring to?

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the tips, especially bringing something to hold your seat while you visit the buffet or restroom. I have many times found my table cleared at a local restaurant when I merely went to get a drink refill. So I now bring my jacket or a book to signify that I will return.

• 5 months later...

this was a great post! thank you!

doing my first solo and you gave me a true boost!!

dear brother knows i'm going all that need to know till i get back but leaving it at that don't want all the questions!!!

so positive and just what i needed to read!

this was a great post! thank you!

doing my first solo and you gave me a true boost!!

dear brother knows i'm going all that need to know till i get back but leaving it at that don't want all the questions!!!

so positive and just what i needed to read!

Nice to hear. Have a great time on your cruise!

Loving the book idea and donating, leaving room to bring home trinkets lol. My first solo cruise (and first cruise ever) is in 3 weeks. Different line and itinerary but I really appreciate you sharing your trip. It makes me more confident and excited for mine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How was your cruise? I am thinking about taking a solo cruise for my bday.