Tahiti Nui Airlines

PROCRUISE

Will be flying out of LAX this coming late August to board a Windstar ship out of Tahiti. Since Windstar will be making the airline reservations, it appears that Tahiti Nui Air is the airline usually used by them. Have read some terrible reviews about this airline and some others that said it was just fine. Primary complaints seemed to be hard seating and poor food service. For me it's just a 9 hour or so flight and I can tolerate most anything after a previous 22 hour flight to Singapore!

I know that Air France also serves this route but I'm not able to take the time and extra expense to try and book my own flights with them plus they don't have daily flights.

Just looking for encouragement that Tahiti Nui will be just fine as long as they get me there and back safely.:)

I know that Air France also serves this route but I'm not able to take the time and extra expense to try and book my own flights with them plus they don't have daily flights.

What time and expense? I can book flights online in about three minutes....

If you would prefer to fly Air France then do that instead. Never used TN myself but I've heard they aren't very good in business class. If you're looking at economy then product wise I think there's not much to choose from between airlines in the cheap seats.

Oceania arranged our flight from Papeete to LA last year on Air Tahiti Nui and we were dreading it. (My husband's a pilot and he wasn't very happy about it.) As it turned out, it was a good flight. The service was great, the plane clean and not worn looking and the seats weren't too hard. Maybe we just got lucky, but based on that flight we'd fly with them again.

Primary complaints seemed to be hard seating and poor food service. For me it's just a 9 hour or so flight and I can tolerate most anything after a previous 22 hour flight to Singapore!

Just looking for encouragement that Tahiti Nui will be just fine as long as they get me there and back safely.:)

I don't recall hearing of any crashes recently involving Air Tahiti Nui, so I would imagine that yes, they will get you there and back just fine. Airlines are more alike than different in coach (assuming that's how you're traveling), so I wouldn't worry too much about seats, meals, etc. Carry some food on with you if you want to be sure of eating something you like.

I believe Hawaiian Airlines is also an option.

That may require you to endure a stopover in Hawaii. The horrors. :)

As for the safety record of Tahiti Nui Air. I do not have any first hand experience. Others posters do. They are a small airline, something like 5 aircraft. That could be good or bad depending on your perspective.

If you're looking at economy then product wise I think there's not much to choose from between airlines in the cheap seats.

Never flown either of these airlines, but just looking at seat maps on seatguru, Air Tahiti flights are on the A340, with 2-4-2 seating in economy, 18' seat width, 33" pitch. AF uses a 3-4-3 configured 777, 17" width, 32" pitch. I would never voluntarily fly economy on a 10-abreast 777, as that aircraft was originally designed to have only 9 seats across. Air Tahiti looks like the better choice if flying economy.

• 3 months later...

To any one who's anticipating flying on Air Tahiti Nui- our experience was great. Flew to Papeete 5/19/17- flight was timely, staff were friendly and eager to please. Seats comfy- enough legroom for 6'1 husband. Seat back TV was in fine condition- seemed new. The food was very good. A pleasant experience. We'll be flying them again next spring.