Park, Sleep and Cruise near EWR

rluke029

Will be driving in for a cruise out of Manhattan Port. Planning to drive to Newark to avoid going into the city, but looking for a cheap option to get from Newark to the cruise terminal while traveling with a toddler.

Will be driving in for a cruise out of Manhattan Port. Planning to drive to Newark to avoid going into the city, but looking for a cheap option to get from Newark to the cruise terminal while traveling with a toddler.

What is the exact date you need a precruise hotel? Look at trinityreservations.com for a park/sleep at the Ramada for about $163 tax included for a room and 14 days parking.

Train and airport bus are the least expensive ways to get into Manhattan to either New York Penn Station or Port Authority Bus Station. NJ transit train is $13/pp for adults each way (http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo) and round trip bus is $28/pp for adults (https://www.newarkairportexpress.com/shuttle-prices) A toddler would be free.

Airport bus might work better with a toddler because you get dropped off on the street by Port Authority to get a cab and don't have to negotiate NY Penn Station with luggage to get up and out onto the street to get a cab. The total price is about the same for both trips because PABT is a bit closer to the cruise terminal than NY Penn. Buses offer under the bus luggage storage. Due to construction at NY Penn, trains are currently experiencing significant delays.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the exact date you need a precruise hotel? Look at trinityreservations.com for a park/sleep at the Ramada for about $163 tax included for a room and 14 days parking.

Train and airport bus are the least expensive ways to get into Manhattan to either New York Penn Station or Port Authority Bus Station. NJ transit train is $13/pp for adults each way (http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo) and round trip bus is $28/pp for adults (https://www.newarkairportexpress.com/shuttle-prices) A toddler would be free.

Airport bus might work better with a toddler because you get dropped off on the street by Port Authority to get a cab and don't have to negotiate NY Penn Station with luggage to get up and out onto the street to get a cab. The total price is about the same for both trips because PABT is a bit closer to the cruise terminal than NY Penn. Buses offer under the bus luggage storage. Due to construction at NY Penn, trains are currently experiencing significant delays.

Hi jumping on this thread :) - pre-planning - cruising in March 2019 coming from PA. Normally we just drive down that morning but because of the time of year I want to pre-book a room for the night before in case of a snow storm delay. I figure I have 48 hours to cancel the room so I should know the weather by then. So looking for a hotel that is close I will park at the cruise terminal.

Hi jumping on this thread :) - pre-planning - cruising in March 2019 coming from PA. Normally we just drive down that morning but because of the time of year I want to pre-book a room for the night before in case of a snow storm delay. I figure I have 48 hours to cancel the room so I should know the weather by then. So looking for a hotel that is close I will park at the cruise terminal.

It's way too early to book for March 2019. I'd start looking in Jan 2018 for your "snow" hotel. My recommendation would be to price the hotels closest to exit 13A and exit 14. This would include (in no particular order) Embassy Suites, Country Inns, Residence Inn, and Courtyard Elizabeth on International Blvd near exit 13A and the Ramada Plaza, the Doubletree, Springhill Suites, Courtyard Newark, and Fairfield Inn near exit 14.

Familiarize yourself with the current prices for 2018 for the above hotels. Also understand what the food options would be in the snow. I've noticed that the Marriott hotels often have excellent prices when they are first released and that the prices rise over time.

Post back if you have any questions about these properties.

It's way too early to book for March 2019. I'd start looking in Jan 2018 for your "snow" hotel. My recommendation would be to price the hotels closest to exit 13A and exit 14. This would include (in no particular order) Embassy Suites, Country Inns, Residence Inn, and Courtyard Elizabeth on International Blvd near exit 13A and the Ramada Plaza, the Doubletree, Springhill Suites, Courtyard Newark, and Fairfield Inn near exit 14.

Familiarize yourself with the current prices for 2018 for the above hotels. Also understand what the food options would be in the snow. I've noticed that the Marriott hotels often have excellent prices when they are first released and that the prices rise over time.

Post back if you have any questions about these properties.

Thank you ! the exit numbers are helpful

IMO you do not want to be on the WEST side of the airport on or near routes 1&9 or Spring St. Route 1&9 on the north side is OK because it has good access to exit 14.

Why not? We'll be dropping a car off at Hertz at the airport, and then we're spending the night near the airport. Right now we've narrowed it down to Springhill Suites, the Hilton or the Renaissance. We stayed at Springhill last year, but dh didn't like that there was no restaurant. There is one at the hotel next door, but there was a huge rainstorm the evening that we were there so he wants a hotel with a restaurant this time.

Why not? We'll be dropping a car off at Hertz at the airport, and then we're spending the night near the airport. Right now we've narrowed it down to Springhill Suites, the Hilton or the Renaissance. We stayed at Springhill last year, but dh didn't like that there was no restaurant. There is one at the hotel next door, but there was a huge rainstorm the evening that we were there so he wants a hotel with a restaurant this time.

My response was tailored for a poster who is going to drive and park at the port, but who wants to have a plan B in case of snow. IMO that would include having the best access to either Exit 13A or Exit 14, which would not include the west side of the airport along routes 1&9.

You have to return a car rental. Are you flying out or are you cruising from Cape Liberty or New York? I understand wanting to have access to a restaurant. There are many EWR hotels that offer free breakfast, but have no on site restaurant. You have already had that experience with Springhill Suites.

I have a cruise booked 2018 to the Med. i live in Baltimore the cheapest flight i could find leaves from NJ EWR so i'm looking at taking the train from Balto. to NJ have anyone done this our flight leaves at 11pm is this a busy airport need to know what time to leave Amtrak in Baltimore they have 3:48 arrive EWR 6:02 or 4:48pm arrive EWR 6:57pm they have one later but thats trying my comfort zoneclear.png?emoji-confused-1977

I have a cruise booked 2018 to the Med. i live in Baltimore the cheapest flight i could find leaves from NJ EWR so i'm looking at taking the train from Balto. to NJ have anyone done this our flight leaves at 11pm is this a busy airport need to know what time to leave Amtrak in Baltimore they have 3:48 arrive EWR 6:02 or 4:48pm arrive EWR 6:57pm they have one later but thats trying my comfort zoneclear.png?emoji-confused-1977

EWR is one of the busiest airports in the country and to make it even busier there is a major construction project just getting under way to construct a new Terminal A. Amtrak is notorious for delays and cancellations. If anything I would take an even earlier train even though that may result in your having to kill time at the airport. In any event don't take anything later than the train arriving at 6:02. For an international flight you should be at the airport three hours before your scheduled departure time.

EWR is one of the busiest airports in the country and to make it even busier there is a major construction project just getting under way to construct a new Terminal A. Amtrak is notorious for delays and cancellations. If anything I would take an even earlier train even though that may result in your having to kill time at the airport. In any event don't take anything later than the train arriving at 6:02. For an international flight you should be at the airport three hours before your scheduled departure time.

Thanks njhorseman

i just read about the new construction and decided to take an earlier train i don't mind waiting extra hours

Thanks njhorseman

i just read about the new construction and decided to take an earlier train i don't mind waiting extra hours

Good decision. I would also research a plan B for peace of mind. This could include a last minute drive from Baltimore and understanding your options for long term parking while you're on the TA.

Good decision. I would also research a plan B for peace of mind. This could include a last minute drive from Baltimore and understanding your options for long term parking while you're on the TA.

I do have a plan B it include driving ( which i hate to do ) and parking at a relative house long term parking is not a option since this cruise will be 24 days not including 4 days pre. Just have to work out the logistics i don't like to put people out, we have 9 months of planning to get it together.

Thanks for all the info. njhorseman.

My response was tailored for a poster who is going to drive and park at the port, but who wants to have a plan B in case of snow. IMO that would include having the best access to either Exit 13A or Exit 14, which would not include the west side of the airport along routes 1&9.

You have to return a car rental. Are you flying out or are you cruising from Cape Liberty or New York? I understand wanting to have access to a restaurant. There are many EWR hotels that offer free breakfast, but have no on site restaurant. You have already had that experience with Springhill Suites.

We are flying out the next morning. After we return the rental car we will probably have to take a cab to the hotel, and we're not sure if there is hotel close to the rental car area. The next morning we will be taking another cab to EWR to get to the departing flight area because we're unable to carry our luggage from the places that the shuttles drop passengers.

We are flying out the next morning. After we return the rental car we will probably have to take a cab to the hotel, and we're not sure if there is hotel close to the rental car area. The next morning we will be taking another cab to EWR to get to the departing flight area because we're unable to carry our luggage from the places that the shuttles drop passengers.

What is your hotel budget and exact date? Have you picked a rental car company?

If you can get just yourselves from the shuttle drop off, you can drive to the hotel and drop off your luggage before returning the car and just taking the shuttle without luggage. EWR is a spaghetti like mess of roads. A hotel might appear to be close to a rental car operation, but would not be accessible on foot.

If you have money to spend, you might want to consider staying in the Newport area of Jersey City and returning your car there. The rental car places are much more convenient to certain hotels.

We will be taking the train from Baltimore to EWR is the station close to the airport or will you have to get a taxi?

You need to buy a ticket to the Newark Airport Station, not Newark Penn Station. Newark Airport Station has no vehicle access. You will have to take the free Airtrain to your terminal, which means you have to be able to roll your luggage to do this.

Post back if you can't manage your luggage.

Thanks 138east i will make my reservation from penn station a little early with the construction i want to have as much time for my flight. No problem with the luggage thanks.

Are you sure you understood that Carol told you to take the train to the Newark airport Station, not Newark Penn Station?