P&O Azura Pullman Cabin/elderly mother

hollydaze

Hello. We are sisters, 58 and 60 years old (fit and well) and hoping to take our mother (89) on the Azura to the Fjords. Our budget will only stretch to a balcony cabin with pull-down pullman.

Has anyone experienced this type of cabin before and can you possibly enlighten me on:

1. Will it be very cramped

2. Can you recommend which deck/cabin location to go for

3. Can you recommend travel insurance companies for elderly mothers with many pre-exisitings!

Many thanks in advance!

We have had 3 in a cabin a few times on ships but unfortunately not Azura so I can't be specific to that ship.

In my experience on Ventura and Artemis it was not cramped at all. When the Pullman is down there is still space to sit up on the bottom bed unless you are very tall. It is however a bit of a climb up to the top bunk so toss a coin for that honour.

Try to go for midships as if there is a swell at all that is better for the person on the top bunk.

There was also more than adequate storage space for 3 people. The design of the room provided a small dressing area outside the toilet for privacy.

Take extra hangers with you as you will probably need them.

On arrival in the cabin they never have enough for

3 people eg towels, tea cups etc but just ask and they Bring the extras you need.

We have had 3 in a cabin a few times on ships but unfortunately not Azura so I can't be specific to that ship.

In my experience on Ventura and Artemis it was not cramped at all. When the Pullman is down there is still space to sit up on the bottom bed unless you are very tall. It is however a bit of a climb up to the top bunk so toss a coin for that honour.

Try to go for midships as if there is a swell at all that is better for the person on the top bunk.

There was also more than adequate storage space for 3 people. The design of the room provided a small dressing area outside the toilet for privacy.

Take extra hangers with you as you will probably need them.

On arrival in the cabin they never have enough for

3 people eg towels, tea cups etc but just ask and they Bring the extras you need.

If you can possibly push the price up a bit you would probably be better with a superior cabin with the sofa that converts to a bed at night. There is not a lot of room in the upper bunk, we took a 6 year old and he could sit up on the bunk with about 2 - 3 inches spare so not much room for an adult unless you are particularly small.

Don't bother to take up space in your luggage with hangers, I invariably need extra hangers and ask the cabin steward for some, they usually ask how many I would like and then bring the wire ones like you get from the dry cleaners.

I think a superior cabin has a showe over the bath, which your mother may not be able to use.

Also please do not book until you have checked out insurance. The price starts to go up after aged 70 and with medical conditions it can rise much further. Try some of the medical comparison sites and don't forget to say that it's for a cruise.

If she uses a mobility scooter you will have to book an accessible cabin; in fact this may be better as there is more space and grab rails and a shower seat in the bathroom. They don't cost any more than a standard balcony, but I don't know if they take 3 people.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edited by silversurf
additional paragraph

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. The cost of the Fjord cruise suddenly shot up so we have booked instead to go to Bordeaux on board Adonia. She seems to be a charming small ship and I think my mother will appreciate the river cruise type experience going down the Gironde and also the fact that we will be sailing due south in September and not due north!