What is the deal with pre clearing customs in Vicotora; a reality or pipe dream?

AF-1

You'll have to clear US customs in Seattle. Victoria only has pre clearance for Canada in the port.

Ok thanks for the reply. Shucks that will mean longer delay at port. Oh well it is what it is.

Ok thanks for the reply. Shucks that will mean longer delay at port. Oh well it is what it is.

Should be no delays clearing "customs" in Seattle, at least at Pier 91. We were through the terminal and out the door in less than 5 minutes this morning!!

Our Emerald Princess disembarkation group was called at 8:20 and we were at SEATAC airport via $40 flat rate taxi by 9:30!!!

Uber was quoting $38+change but would've involved a 15-20 minute wait according to the app...

On the closed-loop cruises it's usually just handing over your declaration form and showing ID; the heavy lifting is done using the manifest provided to CBP by the ship.

About the only delay I've experienced in a dozen arrivals in Seattle is when people claiming bags are blocking progress and they hold people at the gangway level for a few minutes to let it clear.

Should be no delays clearing "customs" in Seattle, at least at Pier 91. We were through the terminal and out the door in less than 5 minutes this morning!!

Our Emerald Princess disembarkation group was called at 8:20 and we were at SEATAC airport via $40 flat rate taxi by 9:30!!!

Uber was quoting $38+change but would've involved a 15-20 minute wait according to the app...

Paul, thanks for this info. That is good news about the short customs wait. I too am on Emerald. Did you use the luggage valet program?

Last Sunday June 11th when we disembarked we had a nice peaceful breakfast in the Botticelli dining room, went to the Crown Grill to wait for our group to be called to disembark. At 8:20 we walked off the ship, got our bags, walked through customs handing him our customs form and showing him our enhanced driver’s license, barely slowed down. Walked out to catch a shuttle to the Cruise ship parking lot, the shuttle was waiting. Got over to the parking lot and was on the road home by 8:45am.

Our friends who flew up to Seattle on Southwest used the new valet luggage program and had no problems at all, got there boarding pass from the ship and their bags were there in Sacramento when they went to pick them up at baggage claim. Worked out pretty slick. I did notice that there seemed to be less bags in the baggage pick area inside the terminal this year than in the past so I believe a lot people are taking advantage of the program.

• 2 weeks later...
Last Sunday June 11th when we disembarked we had a nice peaceful breakfast in the Botticelli dining room, went to the Crown Grill to wait for our group to be called to disembark. At 8:20 we walked off the ship, got our bags, walked through customs handing him our customs form and showing him our enhanced driver’s license, barely slowed down. Walked out to catch a shuttle to the Cruise ship parking lot, the shuttle was waiting. Got over to the parking lot and was on the road home by 8:45am.

Our friends who flew up to Seattle on Southwest used the new valet luggage program and had no problems at all, got there boarding pass from the ship and their bags were there in Sacramento when they went to pick them up at baggage claim. Worked out pretty slick. I did notice that there seemed to be less bags in the baggage pick area inside the terminal this year than in the past so I believe a lot people are taking advantage of the program.

Thank you for commenting, I too was curious about disembarking, and the new luggage program. It's helpful info like this (I love details) that I value Cruise Critic so highly!

Realize that a round-trip Alaska cruise is almost entirely US-based travel. Canadian customs is only concerned about stuff that you might import (bought in US, leave in Canada) or export (bought in Canada, take elsewhere). Upon completion of your cruise, the only thing US Customs would be concerned about is stuff you imported from Canada (stuff you bought in Canada). They know you had little time nor opportunity to buy much.

Realize that a round-trip Alaska cruise is almost entirely US-based travel. Canadian customs is only concerned about stuff that you might import (bought in US, leave in Canada) or export (bought in Canada, take elsewhere). Upon completion of your cruise, the only thing US Customs would be concerned about is stuff you imported from Canada (stuff you bought in Canada). They know you had little time nor opportunity to buy much.

Quite often Canadians on cruises that stop in Victoria. will disembark early to eliminate transborder flying.

Sent from my iPad using Forums