Snapshot Review of Bali to Fiji Cruise

First, let me clear up some items. The ship looks great and the refurbishments enhanced the ship. The food (while I know this is subjective) is very good and up to the standards one would expect from a deluxe ship. The crew was great and worked very hard with 4 missing from the dining room due to visa issues. The ship's administration is very open to concerns and suggestions when notified. The ship has added more seating on the pool deck which has made socialization easier. I thought there was slightly more shade but more would be welcome.

In the cabins, the ship has put a dispenser on the the shower wall for Algotherm shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. I wish they had chosen L'Occitane in bulk instead. While it did the job, the scent was not pleasant to me.

There were 225 repeaters on this cruise which was a record for the ship. This should alert corporate that our loyal customers seek new itineraries from them and will respond to one.

One of the highlights of the cruise was in the area of entertainment. The ship booked Abi and Marc, a young couple from England who sing and dance. They performed favorites and some original songs. This is the only group I have seen get a standing ovation and requests for 5 additional songs! They will be back in January,hopefully, for a longer gig! This kind of entertainment will move PG higher in this area of cruising. Que Bola!, a magic show was back and gave a great performance. The Gauguins performed but were augmented by local dance groups.

I will only comment on the different islands if someone is interested since this is an itinerary they do only very 3 years or so.

If French Polynesia is a "9 or 10: then these islands are "5 or 6".

The lectures were interesting and informative. A Geography professor from Western Kentucky University gave lectures on the area and the politics of the different islands. The World Wild Conservancy lent 2 PH.DS who lectured on coral and work being done in the Pacific and Fiji. Most interesting, was the reef pilot who lectured on what his job consisted of and what he does on a daily basis (like climbing up a 45 degree angled ladder to reach a cargo ship or on the more modern ships landing by helicopter).

The return flight home seemed harder on me even though it was a shorter flight. It took me 2 days to recover from jet lag.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
spelling

Interesting about the new islands you visited. Was this Fiji? I've read in various places that it's hard to beat FP for scenery and ambiance. And of course, I believe that FP has the highest standard of living in the South Pacific as well. We are popping over to the Cook's for the first time this fall, and hope that's enjoyable, but could do the Societies over and over again.

Yes, these flights seem to get longer and longer every year. This time we're doing Biz to Tahiti, and Premium Economy on the way back--should help.

Interesting about the new islands you visited. Was this Fiji? I've read in various places that it's hard to beat FP for scenery and ambiance. And of course, I believe that FP has the highest standard of living in the South Pacific as well. We are popping over to the Cook's for the first time this fall, and hope that's enjoyable, but could do the Societies over and over again.

Yes, these flights seem to get longer and longer every year. This time we're doing Biz to Tahiti, and Premium Economy on the way back--should help.

Economy both ways for us. Anything to get us back to paradise :)

Red eye flight ... but I'm always able to get about 5 hours sleep :)

But, unlike us who come from Canada or the East coast it is just one flight. With layovers etc its a long long journey .

Fiji was great. Some of the islands didn't have much to offer like Thursday island, Australia. With this exception, all were green and lush. Santo Espirito was one of the best stops with fire walkers, blue hole and some WW 2 relics.

We enjoyed the seeing islands not easily visited but especially loved cruising with the Paul Gauguin.We would do it again.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
Grammar

Just can't do that any more. Whenever we can swing it, it's Biz or PE. How do you manage to sleep like that on a plane? I always fail!

Fiji was great. Some of the islands didn't have much to offer like Thursday island, Australia. With this exception, all were green and lush. Santo Espirito was one of the best stops with fire walkers, blue hole and some WW 2 relics.

We enjoyed the seeing islands not easily visited but especially loved cruising with the Paul Gauguin.We would do it again.

Good to hear, Carol. We obviously agree about the PG. Back onboard this October. As always, I will say this is probably our last trip to FP, but who knows?

I am hoping to take a Crystal cruise from Valparaiso to Papeete and then spend a few nights in Fakarava. After that either Moorea or more likely a PG cruise. This will have to be in the future ie once Colin retires.

Wendy, you will love the Cook Islands. Not vastly different that the Society Islands, but also not the same. They have a strong connection to New Zealand (versus France) and you will notice some cultural differences. The people are amazing. On our last trip we were bike riding and had a flat tire far from the ship. A delightful woman insisted on driving us all the way back to the ship and refused any payment. Same trip, we lost a wallet while biking and by the time that we got back to the dock it had already been turned in completely undisturbed. As with all of FP, it is very beautiful.

Wendy, you will love the Cook Islands. Not vastly different that the Society Islands, but also not the same. They have a strong connection to New Zealand (versus France) and you will notice some cultural differences. The people are amazing. On our last trip we were bike riding and had a flat tire far from the ship. A delightful woman insisted on driving us all the way back to the ship and refused any payment. Same trip, we lost a wallet while biking and by the time that we got back to the dock it had already been turned in completely undisturbed. As with all of FP, it is very beautiful.

Thanks Mike, what nice stories! We were thinking of doing the e-tuktuk tour on Rarotonga. Any highlights that you remember?

Been to the Cook's 5 times, this year will be #6 :)

The Cook Islanders are very warm people and the price of everything is much less than FP. Rarotonga is a great place to by black pearls.

A major difference is the food. Though the cost is less in the Cook's the meals at restaurants are superior in FP.

Aitutaki is beautiful. Our first trip there was in 2000. The kid's were shy, the people warm, there was curiosity about foreigners. IMO, the lagoon of Aitutaki is second only to Bora Bora as far as beauty. The snorkeling is superior in FP.

Rarotonga is a great place for shopping and as I mentioned especially black pearls. Muri Beach is beautiful but the under water experience isn't all that good. However, to the west of Muri out in front of the Little Polynesian the snorkeling is good though it's a bit of a swim to get to the good areas if your entering from the beach. There are lagoon tours that will take you there.

Just can't do that any more. Whenever we can swing it, it's Biz or PE. How do you manage to sleep like that on a plane? I always fail!

My bed time is always 10:00 pm ans as we live on the west coast I'm pretty tired by the time the red eye takes off. Wait for the snack, give me a Hinano ....... or 2 and it's bed time.