Extra Global Entry Benefits

cruisequeen4ever

Though not technically included with Global Entry, we were able to use our Global Entry cards to fast track through security for a departure out of Vancouver and and a departure out of Rome!! We simply asked and were told yes as long as we had our cards with us to prove our status! So be sure to always travel with your actual Global Entry card, not just your number!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Though not technically included with Global Entry, we were able to use our Global Entry cards to fast track through security for a departure out of Vancouver and and a departure out of Rome!! We simply asked and were told yes as long as we had our cards with us to prove our status! So be sure to always travel with your actual Global Entry card, not just your number!

We are flying out of Rome in October and have Global Entry. What do you mean by fast track through security? Was there a separate line at Rome security?

Thanks. Rick

Your title is misleading. There are no fast track security benefits for Global Entry anywhere. Global Entry enrols you in TSA PreCheck which is a US program and significantly increases your chances of receiving access to the TSA PreCheck line. TSA do not operate security outside of the US.

At some Canadian airports where you preclear US immigration and customs before departure you are funneled through a separate security line when using Global Entry. This is the case at YUL (where you clear security and then do immigration/customs) but not in YYZ where it is the other way round. I've not flown from YVR to the US before.

At FCO you just got lucky and found some employee(s) who were willing to let you past rather than argue with you. There's no reason for an Italian airport to prioritize people at security that are registered for an American expedited immigration system. There is no reciprocity.

Fbdg...actually, the OP's case may be true at YVR. Last year, flew out of there to Asia. As we were in the security line (not pre-clearance), an airport official was calling out "Anyone with Global Entry"? They were testing a program where folks with a GE card in their possession got to use a special screening line for non-USA international flights. Apparently, this was never posted on any placards nor on any website.

We, of course, didn't think there would be reason for a GE card on this trip (returning into USA airport) so we were stuck in the regular line. So perhaps this has now gone on to be a permanent undocumented GE perk, or is a limited perk at YVR or is part of a continuing (or new) testing period.

Concur that the OP got lucky at FCO. Though if they are still doing the USA-flights thing at T5, they may have started another test program ala-YVR. Haven't been through FCO since just after the fire, thus my data points are old.

We are flying out of Rome in October and have Global Entry. What do you mean by fast track through security? Was there a separate line at Rome security?

Thanks. Rick

Yes, after checking in, there is a Fast Track Security Line completely separate from regular security. Look for it if you have Global Entry and ask, and they just may let you!

Fbgd, please reference the first line of my post. Of course these are not definite benefits, just extras that I have discovered can occasionally occur, and you might as well try. In Rome, this was Terminal 1. In Vancouver, this was the international terminal when we were flying to Europe. You must show your card to be fast tracked. Both lines saved us about 30 min! Hope others can experience the same thing!

We just returned to the U.S.A from YVR last week. We are both GE but did not have our GE cards with us so they would not let us use their GE. They had a person checking for GE cards prior to entry into the GE area. Yes it would have saved us time to use the GE there.

First time I've ever been asked to see our GE card but this was the first time we have used GE outside of the U.S.A

We just returned to the U.S.A from YVR last week. We are both GE but did not have our GE cards with us so they would not let us use their GE. They had a person checking for GE cards prior to entry into the GE area. Yes it would have saved us time to use the GE there.

First time I've ever been asked to see our GE card but this was the first time we have used GE outside of the U.S.A

Land crossing? Or flight?

It was flight, based on the posting and forum.

bon voyage

I would expect you are correct, but there is no value in the GE card for flights (other than ID at TSA), and not having GE makes going through the GE line useless. So I would like to hear from azcruiser64.

On the other hand, people been confusing the privileges of Global Entry, with Global Services (United's highest frequent flyer elite level ) and Global First, so anything is possible. But I would think if you are Global Services or Global First, you would know better.

I would expect you are correct, but there is no value in the GE card for flights (other than ID at TSA), and not having GE makes going through the GE line useless. So I would like to hear from azcruiser64.

On the other hand, people been confusing the privileges of Global Entry, with Global Services (United's highest frequent flyer elite level ) and Global First, so anything is possible. But I would think if you are Global Services or Global First, you would know better.

This pretty obviously was a flight from YVR, which is Vancouver. At YVR, and virtually all major Canadian airports, you clear immigration and customs in Canada before boarding your flight to the US. When you arrive in the US there's further no customs/immigration clearance, as your flight is treated as a domestic arrival.

As a result there could be the opportunity to use a Global Entry card at YVR just as you would when clearing immigration/customs in a US airport after arriving on an international flight.

When we got GE, the Customs officer told us he didn't see why we would ever need to bring our actual cards with us unless we were driving. Thanks to someone on Cruise Critic siting the need to show the card one time, we determined we will always take the cards to be safe, and it really paid off on this last trip.

The issue at Vancouver is actually pretty simple. The US Authorities have deals with a few non-USA airports to conduct Customs/Immigration clearance prior to flights. This allows flights from those airports to be considered "US Domestic flights" which means they can fly into any US Airport (with or without US Immigration). Vancouver is one of these airports so if you are flying from YVR to the USA, you will go through US Immigration prior to boarding your flight (once you are cleared you confined to an area of the airport reserved for USA bound flights. Global Entry does work at YVR since it is similar to entering the USA at an International Airport. As to what happened at FCO, we have no clue....but it sounds like somebody just screwed up and cut the traveler a break.

Hank

This pretty obviously was a flight from YVR, which is Vancouver. At YVR, and virtually all major Canadian airports, you clear immigration and customs in Canada before boarding your flight to the US. When you arrive in the US there's further no customs/immigration clearance, as your flight is treated as a domestic arrival.

As a result there could be the opportunity to use a Global Entry card at YVR just as you would when clearing immigration/customs in a US airport after arriving on an international flight.

I am very aware of this...have done it a couple of times. In fact will do it tomorrow at Toronto, flying to Atlanta, and on to SFO. However, it is not the card that is required, it is your passport.

When we got GE, the Customs officer told us he didn't see why we would ever need to bring our actual cards with us unless we were driving. Thanks to someone on Cruise Critic siting the need to show the card one time, we determined we will always take the cards to be safe, and it really paid off on this last trip.

I appreciate your point. I have my GE interview next month and will be departing FCO in October so I will take my GE card with me and see what happens

I am very aware of this...have done it a couple of times. In fact will do it tomorrow at Toronto, flying to Atlanta, and on to SFO. However, it is not the card that is required, it is your passport.

It's your passport when you're processed in the US after an international flight, but perhaps for some reason if you're being processed in Canada, or maybe just at YVR, you need the GE card. It could have something to do with the physical layout of the immigration/customs area requiring them to separate you from other travelers before being processed. I can't say from personal experience as I haven't flown from Canada to the US since getting Global Entry privileges. Come to think of it, if you want to use the Global Entry line after your cruise at Port Everglades don't you need the card, not just your passport?

The issue at Vancouver is actually pretty simple. The US Authorities have deals with a few non-USA airports to conduct Customs/Immigration clearance prior to flights. This allows flights from those airports to be considered "US Domestic flights" which means they can fly into any US Airport (with or without US Immigration). Vancouver is one of these airports so if you are flying from YVR to the USA, you will go through US Immigration prior to boarding your flight (once you are cleared you confined to an area of the airport reserved for USA bound flights. Global Entry does work at YVR since it is similar to entering the USA at an International Airport. As to what happened at FCO, we have no clue....but it sounds like somebody just screwed up and cut the traveler a break.

Hank

Yes we were flying from YVR to PHX non-stop and going through US Immigration/customs at YVR. They have a GE area just like in the U.S.A. except in order to use it they wanted to see our GE cards before they would let us into that area. We had pass ports out and in our hands but that made no difference to them, I said we had GE but they they still wanted to see the GE cards. They said that was normal procedure for YVR, if you don't have the GE card you can't enter the GE area. This was after I explained that we had never used a GE card in a U.S.A airport immigration/customs as we just went to the GE area and used our pass ports in the GE kiosk. We were early and the normal immigration/customs lines didn't look too long so we just moved over there without making a fuss. I made my initial post (#7) as an FYI for people that plan to use GE at YVR or other foreign airports going to the U.S.A.

Ok, to clarify this, at least based on my experience yesterday at Toronto.

Some airports in Canada, and possibly other countries, have eliminated First/Business class security lines, and replaced them with "Known Traveler" security lines. This includes Global Entry and Nexus members, and you need your card to prove your status. This is totally separate from the Pre Clearance process.

I have say, due to the extremely close look at baggage the agent was doing at the Known Traveler line, it was only a slight bit faster than the regular line ( I was traveling with a friend who doesn't have GE), but I didn't have to remove shoes, liquids, etc.

On the other hand GE at Pre clearence was 25 minutes faster than the regular line.

Two years ago, I used only my passport to utilize the GE kiosks at YVR. No card needed.

You see, something changed ! That's why basing an answer on what was required last year, two years ago, or whenever in the past can result in providing false information. (Reference to our discussion on a thread on the First Time Cruisers Board.)

The Vancouver one is really not surprising as with Global Entry you get the Nexis benefit.

I had no idea it would help with a departure from Rome. Thank you for sharing that.

For Vancouver we also needed our cards with us and just as a matter of course we take them with us anytime we fly outside the country even though we realize when we enter the USA we do not need to have or present them.

Keith

The Vancouver one is really not surprising as with Global Entry you get the Nexis benefit.

I had no idea it would help with a departure from Rome. Thank you for sharing that.

For Vancouver we also needed our cards with us and just as a matter of course we take them with us anytime we fly outside the country even though we realize when we enter the USA we do not need to have or present them.

Keith

would you please point us to the official documentation that Global Entry gives you NEXUS - last time I heard, if you want to add NEXUS, you must submit that application and have the interview with Canadian BP and get the iris scan. Now, I have heard it is the other way around - that NEXUS gives you GE, because you need to get clearance from both the US and Canada.

would you please point us to the official documentation that Global Entry gives you NEXUS - last time I heard, if you want to add NEXUS, you must submit that application and have the interview with Canadian BP and get the iris scan. Now, I have heard it is the other way around - that NEXUS gives you GE, because you need to get clearance from both the US and Canada.

All I know is that when we were at the Canadian Airport if we showed our Global Entry card we could use it on security similar to if someone had Nexus. I knew that ahead of time from reading about it on line but not on the Global Entry website.

Keith

There is no such documentation because it is not reciprocal - only NEXUS offers the entire package of benefits and that's exactly what all the info on CBP/CBSA sites confirm. Keith and others who use GE in Vancouver are using it only one-way - to get into the USA, whether at pier or airport. It gives zero benefit when entering Canada, only NEXUS offers that advantage.

Re: using in foreign airports etc. I've also been allowed into short security queues - at Heathrow in my case. Showed card to minion guarding the queue, asked if it let me in, was waved through. Not officially a benefit of any of the TT cards but seems to be either an unofficial policy (i.e. that anyone who has passed criminal record checks required by USA is deemed a lower risk by other jurisdictions) or simply down to poorly trained minions!

I just recently got my GE approval. Here are a few things I found out about it:

• I waited for 6 months before I got an interview at my local airport - MSP. They did not take walk-up interviews; some people were trying when I was there.
  • TSA pre-check is not the same as GE - is it a perk that is included with GE. That is what my information says.
  • TSA pre-check is USA only and is separate from GE
  • GE is automatically put on your passport and is part of USA customs/immigration only
  • I was also told that I more than likely I will not need my GE card but after reading the great advice here I'll bring it with me. Thanks for this. :)

Hope this helps!