Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We are returning from Alaska and looking for Orcas so we will continue our Baltic cruise after we return home .

We are just finishing up our Alaskan review , We came , we saw , we photographed on the Holland America ship the Eurodam which can be found here :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2497409

Seattle

DSC00442_zps8ologkga.jpg

IMG_3625_zpsocglrikj.jpg

Juneau

IMG_4462_zpsmn0s4ukl.jpg

Glacier Bay

IMG_593820Stitch-001_zps22nzhob5.jpg

Ketchikan

IMG_5297_zpsutyzkzi2.jpg

Victoria

IMG_5884_zpslfu9kuep.jpg

We will be returning to our Baltic review soon !

We were staring to see some signs of life on the way out .

IMG_9745_zpsaonoelmp.jpg

IMG_9735_zpsdq1rmfmb.jpg

A Tallink behind us ship reminded us that we were on the way to Tallin .

IMG_9758_zpspwlvaulf.jpg

And some camouflaged hardware .

IMG_9750_zpstvdfvvon.jpg

It looked like it was getting dark .

IMG_9755_zpsgbnkhjbf.jpg

IMG_9757_zpsecqzzaua.jpg

Just before dark , the light burst through for a few brief moments .

IMG_9782_zpskoexn3cf.jpg

IMG_9798-001_zpsjzvxqhl4.jpg

And there was a strange , moving Eclipse upon shore .

IMG_9784_zpszsk6ivld.jpg

Video clip :

IMG_9791-001_zpsjm82ayav.jpg

In the video clip of this beautiful area it was very quite except the sound of the birds as we cruised along . Unfortunately , there was a lot of noise from the breeze on the mic :

Exiting the archipelago .

IMG_984120Stitch-001_zpsx3zxwfsd.jpg

Hi!

I started reading this about a week ago, and really have enjoyed it. It took about 2 pages for me to realize who was writing it, and it became a bit poignant when you and Mic were talking about getting together on the CB Princess in Sept 2015, because I knew what was going to happen - I'm glad Pat is mucho better.

Why am I here? Celebrity gave me a couple of offers I couldn't refuse. DH decided we should try Celebrity, and last year I got a tour of the Infinity when she was in SF, and they let me buy a future booking offer. I thought maybe we'd try a short Bermuda cruise, but when he got a new job with benefits (he'd been contracting for a while) he decided he wanted the Mediterranean and boom - we're doing a 10 Italy/Greece on the Reflection in September in a Sky Suite. So I started reading all reviews of the S class ships I could find. It was supposed to be my first Celebrity cruise.

In the meantime, I got another tour of the Infinity and got to take DH. (He liked the top decks but the atruim not so much). We bought another future cruise deposit, because he wants to go back to Antarctica, probably in 2019.

In other news, my sister has been having a rough few months with health issues with her teens, but she's shipping them to camp next week for the summer. I thought a cruise would be just the thing for her, so we looked at a 5 day Bermuda on the Royal Anthem of the Seas, until someone pointed out that that last thing two adult women needed was a ship overrun with kids. We looked at that so she wouldn't have to fly. Once it was pointed out, I started looking for other options - she's out here (California) in July, so didn't want to go back to the West Coast, so Caribbean was the best option - turns out 7 days on the Equinox in CC balcony was cheaper than 5 days on the Anthem in a regular balcony. Boom - early August, and we "stole" Glen's FCD.

So now I have two booked. If DH likes the Reflection we'll buy a new FCD and go to Antarctica in 2019. In 2018, we're going to Alaska twice on the Emerald Princess - round trip LA in August and RT Seattle in September (added September to take some friends to Alaska)

Thanks for a very thorough report - it's been a fun read. And I've seen Al Stewart in concert a while ago. My favorite song is probably Sand in Your Shoes.

Cheers,

Abby

Hi!

I started reading this about a week ago, and really have enjoyed it. It took about 2 pages for me to realize who was writing it, and it became a bit poignant when you and Mic were talking about getting together on the CB Princess in Sept 2015, because I knew what was going to happen - I'm glad Pat is mucho better.

Why am I here? Celebrity gave me a couple of offers I couldn't refuse. DH decided we should try Celebrity, and last year I got a tour of the Infinity when she was in SF, and they let me buy a future booking offer. I thought maybe we'd try a short Bermuda cruise, but when he got a new job with benefits (he'd been contracting for a while) he decided he wanted the Mediterranean and boom - we're doing a 10 Italy/Greece on the Reflection in September in a Sky Suite. So I started reading all reviews of the S class ships I could find. It was supposed to be my first Celebrity cruise.

In the meantime, I got another tour of the Infinity and got to take DH. (He liked the top decks but the atruim not so much). We bought another future cruise deposit, because he wants to go back to Antarctica, probably in 2019.

In other news, my sister has been having a rough few months with health issues with her teens, but she's shipping them to camp next week for the summer. I thought a cruise would be just the thing for her, so we looked at a 5 day Bermuda on the Royal Anthem of the Seas, until someone pointed out that that last thing two adult women needed was a ship overrun with kids. We looked at that so she wouldn't have to fly. Once it was pointed out, I started looking for other options - she's out here (California) in July, so didn't want to go back to the West Coast, so Caribbean was the best option - turns out 7 days on the Equinox in CC balcony was cheaper than 5 days on the Anthem in a regular balcony. Boom - early August, and we "stole" Glen's FCD.

So now I have two booked. If DH likes the Reflection we'll buy a new FCD and go to Antarctica in 2019. In 2018, we're going to Alaska twice on the Emerald Princess - round trip LA in August and RT Seattle in September (added September to take some friends to Alaska)

Thanks for a very thorough report - it's been a fun read. And I've seen Al Stewart in concert a while ago. My favorite song is probably Sand in Your Shoes.

Cheers,

Abby

Well hello Abby , it's so nice to hear from you !

So is a 'Princess' now becoming a 'Celebrity' ? :)

Don't you love it when a cruise line makes you an "offer that you can't refuse" ? We do , and that's why we have 3 favorite cruise lines Celebrity , Princess and HAL . Our best deals are usually here in our own backyard , the Caribbean .

We really did miss meeting and cruising with you , Mic , Bob and the others on the CB TA , but I thank God everyday that my wife survived all of her surgeries ( 4 in less than a year ) and that we're still cruising - even if we had to miss one .

Happy to hear that you and your sister can get some much needed rest and a break for her . Being a caregiver to a sick loved one is a full time job !

We know what you mean about the RCI prices . Our next cruise is 5 weeks away on the Harmony of the Seas and for the price that we paid for 3 ( our oldest grandson's is going ) , we booked first class fights from Palm Beach and a Neptune Suite on the Eurodam from Seattle to Alaska !

Can you believe it ?

When we saw Al Stewart at the RAH in spring of 2015 would you believe that the song that you like I didn't video ? My arms were really tired from holding the camera and they needed a break !

But here's one that we like - Broadway Hotel :

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Tallin

Instead of our usual breakfast in the MDR , we ate a quick meal at the buffet and took breakfast down to Tyler in the cabin , where we saw the Emerald Princess from our balcony .

IMG_9856_zpsk7afiyss.jpg

They were moving fast , and the race was on !

IMG_9857_zps7vudzpat.jpg

Video clip :

We left the ship as soon as we could , hopping to beat the crowds to the old town area . But of course there would be a few photo stops along the way .

IMG_9879_zpsm0fm0vml.jpg

Because Pat walks slower than I , she continues to walk while I stop to take photos , and then I usually catch up later . We had a new friend in port that day - The World , seen here in the center of the photo .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_The_World

IMG_9881-001_zpsfhxzt08b.jpg

And here's Celebrity Eclipsing The World .

IMG_9884_zpshia6ohqw.jpg

We had booked , and paid for , a flight on Balloon Tallinn . But when we showed up we were told that it might rain and it was too windy ( It wasn't ) . Further , we were told that there are NO refunds ! They did tell us to check back later for a possible flight . After a fruitless discussion , we chose to go to the old town and would stop back after returning to the port . We only took one photo there - of a pouting Pat .

IMG_9885-001_zpsmzpxdan2.jpg

Plan B - again !!

We entered the old town at the Fat Margaret Tower .

IMG_9886_zpsy0yy83nv.jpg

IMG_9887_zpsmfmokwlk.jpg

Looking back at the gate

IMG_9889_zpsjxglblvb.jpg

There are a number of narrow alleys here

IMG_9895_zpsayohwknu.jpg

As well as broader streets

IMG_9900-001_zpspyrr4tqk.jpg

This door is the entrance to the Brotherhood of the Blackheads , a trade guild for single men .

IMG_9902_zpsrjthpwu1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Blackheads

I loved the dragon motif .

IMG_9904_zpsqttk5acb.jpg

In order to go shopping for Tyler and Pat we first started at the Tallinn Town Hall Square , the oldest in the Baltic area .

IMG_9909_zpseh7bikb1.jpg

We had hoped to shop early for some trinkets before the throngs of humanity arrived .

IMG_9912_zps92ubcdue.jpg

Score !

IMG_9914_zps3xglinut.jpg

It took a 3 photo stitch to capture all of the square .

IMG_992120Stitch-001_zps1mzvnlge.jpg

I don't usually shop , but I was intrigued by this ( but only from a photographic viewpoint ) , until I read the fine print .

IMG_9918_zpskqbudlpo.jpg

Model not included .

Amber is usually fairly priced here , but near the square may not be the best prices .

IMG_9917-001_zpsiwwnmmw3.jpg

We saw a number of nut wagons around town .

IMG_9927_zpsyrspti7o.jpg

We did notice a few things which seemed a bit out of place

IMG_9930_zpstkaubozd.jpg

On this church wall was some strange art

IMG_994520Stitch-001_zpse2hx4k6h.jpg

IMG_9957_zpshzao6mzs.jpg

And the modern movie theatre , while beautiful , did seem misplaced in Old Town .

IMG_9949_zpsnapqe0jj.jpg

We found a little shop away from the square where Tyler bought a stuffed animal for his brother . And we headed up to Toompea , a hill which is about 20-30 meters higher than the surrounding area . It can be a steep climb .

IMG_9967_zpswnt24ert.jpg

We wanted to see the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral which we had not seen on our previous trip here .

26770c6f-16b7-4746-a2d7-287d05bc6da5_zps6kyuke7f.jpg

And , like so many buildings in Europe , work is being done in the Summer .

IMG_9981_zpssvp5quhb.jpg

I left Pat and Tyler with a lady selling nuts and a lady selling paintings .

IMG_9977_zpsi6ny8am5.jpg

IMG_9982-001_zpsxoxzdfkz.jpg

While I went downstairs to photograph the walls and towers .

The western wall and towers .

IMG_9975_zpsua204wb5.jpg

The name of this tower is Kiek in de Kok .

Kiek in de Kök (Low German: Peep into the Kitchen) is an artillery tower in Tallinn, Estonia, built in 1475. It gained the name Kiek in de Kök from the ability of tower occupants to see into kitchens of nearby houses. The tower is 38 m high and has walls 4 m thick. Cannon balls dating back to 1577 are still embedded in its outer walls .

Source : Wikipedia

IMG_9985_zpsazen5rjt.jpg

I don't know the name of the statue , but may I suggest - The Honeymooners

3e3903e9-cfaa-49ed-80cb-d917dbd748a4_zpsqs9macmi.jpg

The walk up the hill to Pat and Tyler . It had started to rain .

IMG_9997_zpscobvuu2t.jpg

Pat had bought a couple prints of Tallinn .

88b68288-ad69-4528-b8c6-d1cb14fd8a7c_zpsxv8rn7gb.jpg

b804a37c-94db-4927-b776-0ff9acc26d8b_zpss7o7bbd1.jpg

We visited St Nicholas church ( due to rain) and found a very interesting art exhibition in the vaults. There was a lady renovating Russian art which had been found recently in Germany.

https://www.visittallinn.ee/eng/visitor/see-do/sightseeing/pid-174741/niguliste-museum-st-nicholas-church

It's certainly worth a visit.

Edited by upwarduk

We visited St Nicholas church ( due to rain) and found a very interesting art exhibition in the vaults. There was a lady renovating Russian art which had been found recently in Germany.

https://www.visittallinn.ee/eng/visitor/see-do/sightseeing/pid-174741/niguliste-museum-st-nicholas-church

It's certainly worth a visit.

Wow , what a great find Jackie , thank you for sharing it with us ! There was definitely a lot of art theft and looting that went on during WW II :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_theft_and_looting_during_World_War_II

And of course the original Amber Room is still missing and believed to be somewhere in Germany .

"Joe , the balloon is flying !" Was my wake up call from a nap on the Eclipse and a quick view out of the window confirmed it while I quickly dressed for weather . And we only had about an hour before departure time , we were reminded as we left the ship . We arrived just in time to see a launch . First The World .

IMG_0034_zpsn8314uli.jpg

And then , the balloon .

IMG_0036_zpspfrto1t5.jpg

Pat and Ty went inside while I took a couple of shots .

IMG_0037_zpsh0s540wm.jpg

IMG_0038_zpslxnjbouq.jpg

DW informed me that they wanted $20 more for afternoon flights , and concerned that they might arbitrarily cancel us again , I paid . " Will we get to fly ? " I asked before paying . " We hope so ", was her less than convincing answer . Our guardian angels on this day came in the form of 2 local ladies who appeared , wanting a flight also , thus increasing our chances of flying . But , we should have copied them when they took blankets with them as we boarded the balloon . But how cold could it get in 15 minutes ?

Up , up and away !

IMG_0040_zpsd4h7lmfx.jpg

They had informed us that we could walk around the gondola , before we left the ground , but that we should stay balanced and not all go to one side .

IMG_0041_zps4kao2rrw.jpg