Sunday, June 28th All-Ivy Alumni Group Tour of Celebrity Equinox at Port of Miami, FL

EJKorvette

When this was announced, I jumped at the chance. My late wife and I did two Transatlantic sailings on this ship in 2012 and 2013, the same time of year, late April and the same stateroom, somewhere on the eighth deck (I forgot).

I wasn't sure I would have gotten there on time, but the signage to the Port was spot-on. I parked the car in the parking garage, at eight to eleven, and the invitation said be there at eleven.

Well, I should not have been worried. It took FOREVER to get on the ship. I was surprised that we would have the tour on a Departure Day. The private security firm used at the Port of Miami sucked; our boarding both times at Port Everglades had gone flawlessy, but this resembled a military evolution that starts with cluster- and ends in a "bad word".

FINALLY, after wending our way through the boarding process and bypassing the actual check-in, a group of us met with someone from the ship (Trang) and Elizabeth (the All-Ivy Liaison with Celebrity).

We were given a tour of the ship then. It was time-traveling to five and four years ago. There were some new things. No more Molecular Bar - it was some other high-end concept now. Michael's Lounge and one of the restaurants became exclusive to people in suites and on up. The upcharges for the restaurants had went up.

Things that were the same - Martini Bar, the artists for sale by Park West, the crowds at the sixteenth deck buffet, the spotty service at lunch (more on that).

We were given a promotional presentation in the small theater, explaining the new The Edge. (I mentioned to my fellow tourers that it looked like the moving bar on the Oasis class ships, but on the SIDE of the ship). Then the various people gave speeches. And we were given a brochure for on-ship savings if we booked by July 5.

Finally, lunchtime. We waited on the third deck entrance of the dining room, but then we had to all troop up to the fourth deck entrance to actually go in. We were led through the tables to a little area off to the side.

The food was wonderful. I had the Caesar salad, the salmon, and apple pie with ice cream. The service was the unhurried pace of a meal in the dining room. The staff did their best, but when someone asked for french fries for the table, they were taken aback. The fries did show up fifteen minutes later.

After lunch we only had less than an hour before the muster drill at two thirty, when we had to be off the ship. I went to the Future Sales office to get the sailings for the Caribbean and Europe. I wanted to look around a little, but it was time to go.

I retraced my steps, got my passport back, handed in my Tour badge, and came back to reality.

I took me a while to find the car in the parking garage, then find the correct exit back to Miami through the tunnel which is not well-signed.

On the drive back to Broward I thought about how I got most of the cruise experience in half a day. I noticed how clean and bright the ship looked, and how I envied all the people aboard who were about to sail off for a week. Unless I win the Lotto or find a sugar mama by July 5, I won't be joining them any time soon. And I am sure Judy was with me all during the tour.

Interesting to know the process. That was cheeky of that guest to order fries for the table :rolleyes:

My condolences on your wife's passing but what a lovely way this was to also connect with those special memories from 2012 and 2013. Thanks for the review.

Sweet story! So sorry about your loss. Why don't you see if you can find a friend to share the cruise with you. ;)

It took FOREVER to get on the ship. I was surprised that we would have the tour on a Departure Day. The private security firm used at the Port of Miami sucked; our boarding both times at Port Everglades had gone flawlessy, but this resembled a military evolution that starts with cluster- and ends in a "bad word".

I don't believe that the security firm in Miami had anything to do with it being Miami versus Port Everglades. ;) Things have change ALOT since 2011, 2012 or even 2014. Security is tighter than ever...everywhere! But it has definitely been stepped up since all the recent attacks all over the world. We have noticed a big change when leaving out of the states on a cruise. Even Rome had tighter security than we have seen in the past.