Equinox Review-June 11, 2017-Eastern Caribbean Cruise

wavywoman

Thank you for the review and posting the photos. The bar looks really cool :)

That bar was so neat! The bartenders did all sorts of neat tricks and made flowers out of cocktail napkins. It became our favorite place to hang out and meet people. They have a Martini menu, but they will make any kind of drink for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You mentioned a ferry to get to the shopping in St Thomas. Is this from Crown Bay to the downtown shopping area? Cost? Thanks for your review

The ferry was from the cruise port to the shopping area. It was $20 pp and we booked it through Celebrity.

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review. I'm really glad you liked Equinox. and hope you'll sail on Celebrity again.We'll be back on Equinox in late August.

Maybe I missed it or did you mention the shows and entertainment? I like to hear what folks think of the bands and theater presentations. Not everyone goes to shows, so if you didn't, just disregard my question. That's the beauty of cruising. There is plenty of choice for each passenger's taste.

You mentioned a ferry to get to the shopping in St Thomas. Is this from Crown Bay to the downtown shopping area? Cost? Thanks for your review

We were on the Equinox in Apr. and stopped at St Thomas. The "shopping expert" had free shuttle buses to town. He had us meet near his deck around 9:30 and the group got on two mini busses He had a little tour taking us to a few places (but not obligated) where we had receptions that included drinks like champagne and punch, cookies, and of naturally the freebies and drawings. We left after the first two places. We were on own to get back and was told that when we left. There are plenty of taxis (converted pick up trucks with bench seats ) back to the ship for either $3 or $4. I don't know as we walked back. Really isn't that far if you like to walk. There are signs along the way with the distance remaining to the port.

St Maarten also has a water taxi going across the bay. I think you can get a day pass for around $7. We always walk as it is only 1/2 mile to town and there are vendors along the way selling beer out of coolers for a few dollars and a few little shops with interesting products like the cheese store. It is a nice walk.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review. I'm really glad you liked Equinox. and hope you'll sail on Celebrity again.We'll be back on Equinox in late August.

Maybe I missed it or did you mention the shows and entertainment? I like to hear what folks think of the bands and theater presentations. Not everyone goes to shows, so if you didn't, just disregard my question. That's the beauty of cruising. There is plenty of choice for each passenger's taste.

We only went to one show-Frisky Feud. It was hilarious!!! We didn't go to any of the other shows mainly because we opted for late dining. We heard other passengers talking about the shows, and they were very pleased. We will be back on Equinox next June for the Western Caribbean cruise. I've cruised on three other cruise lines. Hubby and I agree that Celebrity is the best!

Have fun on your trip!!

My hubby and I sailed on the Equinox a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted to give a review since this was our first time with Celebrity. We've cruised with Carnival, RC, and Princess. Hubby and I both agree that this was one of the best cruises we've ever been on. We stayed in Miami the night before the cruise. Check in and boarding were easy for us.

Cabin-we were on Deck 7 in #7294 (w/balcony). Our cabin was spacious and comfortable. We enjoyed the space in the bathroom and the rounded shape of the shower (I didn't bump my elbows at all). There was not a lot of drawer space, but there were plenty of hangers in the closet. Our cabin attendant was wonderful. He made sure we had anything we needed. This part of the ship was very quiet. We had a fantastic view from our balcony.

Pool-we enjoyed the two outdoor pools, but tended to stay in the one closest to the bar. This pool was deeper than the other and was the unofficial adult hangout. The pool staff made sure we had drinks when we wanted them. Towels were plentiful. We enjoyed the music on the pool deck. If we got hungry, the Mast Grill was just a flight of stairs above the pool. They have great burgers, dogs, and fries. The staff vs. guests pool volleyball game was hilarious.

Main Dining Room-our waiter, Jeffery, did an outstanding job. The food was excellent. The menu changes each evening; however, there were certain items that were standard fare each day ( Cesar salad, New York strip, chicken, French onion soup, shrimp cocktail, escargot). If we didn't like something, the staff was happy to bring us something else.

Tuscany-we treated ourselves to dinner at this elegant Italian restaurant. If you decide to do this, please be prepared to stay for at least two hours. We really enjoyed the experience. After dinner, we were served Lemonciello which made for a perfect night cap.

The Martini Bar-it was really cool, and I mean that literally as the top of the bar is frozen. This was our favorite place to get a cocktail and relax. The bartenders were very entertaining , and the drunk were excellent. We met some great people here.

Excursions-we booked two through the ship (Puerto Rico-Old San Juan and New San Juan; St. Thomas-shopping). I would not recommend the tour in San Juan-the guide took us to to the fort-which was part of the tour-but we only stayed here for 35 minutes. This only allowed us to see a limited amount of the fort. The guide was not very knowledgeable (i.e. the Spanish American War was fought in 1987). The remainder of the tour consisted of a bus ride from hell; the driver took us through San Juan and pointed out various buildings that had not relevance to the history of the island. Save your money and book something different!! Hubby forgot his khaki pants, but there was ample shopping in San Juan. In St. Thomas, we took a short ferry ride over to the shopping district. We got some great deals on perfume and watches. The only negative we experienced was the constant, in-your-face tour guides and shop owners that were lining the various streets outside of the shops. We had to get rude a couple of times to get them out of our faces.

These are some of our highlights. I would like to say that the staff onboard the Equinox are awesome. We found everyone to be professional and friendly. They went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. We booked our cruise for next summer while we were onboard; we got a great deal and saved a lot of money compared to booking it ourselves. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Hi,

Thanks for the review!! Would you mind answering a couple of questions for me?? My husband and I have only cruised carnival 3 times and we are looking to upgrade. Is Celebrity way better compared to Carnival and in what ways? How is the night life we are in our mid 30's and please please compare the food. Is it better? Any other comments or concerns are always welcome.

Thank you

LaToya

Hi,

Thanks for the review!! Would you mind answering a couple of questions for me?? My husband and I have only cruised carnival 3 times and we are looking to upgrade. Is Celebrity way better compared to Carnival and in what ways? How is the night life we are in our mid 30's and please please compare the food. Is it better? Any other comments or concerns are always welcome.

Thank you

LaToya

Hi LaToya! I'm happy to help. As far as night life goes, there are several clubs that are open "late." In other words, there was drinking and dancing until the wee hours (3-4 am). The food, in my opinion, is 1000 times better than Carnival. The buffet is excellent-salad bar, pizza, great made-to-order omelettes, fresh fruit, you name it!! The MDR food is really good, too. We ordered room service at 1:00 am and they were prompt-the food was excellent, too! It's much better than Carnival and the service is better, too. To answer your question, "Is Celebrity better than Carnival?" Yes, it is. But, I guess it is all in what you are looking for. Celebrity is more laid back than Carnival. I'm not sure if you plan to travel with kids or not. If it's just the two of you, I think you will have a fabulous time. My hubby and I are friendly and will talk to anyone. We never had trouble finding others to connect with. The daily planners that are put in your room each night are full of activities! On our sea days, we hung out by the pool, and there was always something going on (line dancing, DJ, live music, games in the pool). The staff on our cruise was the best-better than any other cruise line we've been on. We've sailed Carnival, princess, and Royal Caribbean. The ship was beautiful and well-maintained. I hope this helps!! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Hi,

Thank you

LaToya

I saw your other post. When we booked our cruise, we got the classic beverage package as a perk. It was worth it!!!!

I saw your other post. When we booked our cruise, we got the classic beverage package as a perk. It was worth it!!!!

Thank you so much, this was very helpful.. When my husband and I cruise it is just us for a week away from the kids so we look forward to some relaxing times and some partying times, but most of all its our reconnecting time. My husband is a more laid back person but I will talk to whoever is close by and willing to talk back to me ;p. Once I start talking to someone he normal joins in. LOL. Thank you for all your help, you have given me a lot to think about

Thank you so much, this was very helpful.. When my husband and I cruise it is just us for a week away from the kids so we look forward to some relaxing times and some partying times, but most of all its our reconnecting time. My husband is a more laid back person but I will talk to whoever is close by and willing to talk back to me ;p. Once I start talking to someone he normal joins in. LOL. Thank you for all your help, you have given me a lot to think about

You sound like us-we always take our cruises for just the two of us. I think Celebrity is a good balance of relaxation and partying. Glad I could help.

Hi LaToya! I'm happy to help. As far as night life goes, there are several clubs that are open "late." In other words, there was drinking and dancing until the wee hours (3-4 am). The food, in my opinion, is 1000 times better than Carnival. The buffet is excellent-salad bar, pizza, great made-to-order omelettes, fresh fruit, you name it!! The MDR food is really good, too. We ordered room service at 1:00 am and they were prompt-the food was excellent, too! It's much better than Carnival and the service is better, too. To answer your question, "Is Celebrity better than Carnival?" Yes, it is. But, I guess it is all in what you are looking for. Celebrity is more laid back than Carnival. I'm not sure if you plan to travel with kids or not. If it's just the two of you, I think you will have a fabulous time. My hubby and I are friendly and will talk to anyone. We never had trouble finding others to connect with. The daily planners that are put in your room each night are full of activities! On our sea days, we hung out by the pool, and there was always something going on (line dancing, DJ, live music, games in the pool). The staff on our cruise was the best-better than any other cruise line we've been on. We've sailed Carnival, princess, and Royal Caribbean. The ship was beautiful and well-maintained. I hope this helps!! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for all the info! This will be our 1st time sailing Celebrity and will be on the Equinox in 53 days! Years ago we started out with Carnival then fell in love with Royal and been with them ever since. How do the shows and entertainment on Celebrity compare to Royal? How does the food and overall service compare between both lines? Thank again!

My husband and I ARE ON THE JULY 23RD CRUISE FROM MIAMI

BEEN CRUISIN BEFORE BUT NOT ON CELEBRITY

We are in an Aft ( always prefer these cabins) on the 8 th floor

Would love one upper.. but not available

Love to meet people at

the bar - we love having fun with bartenders and people

See you there

Thank you for your review and keeping up with the questions on this post!!

We are new to Celebrity and sailing on Equinox next month!! Glad to hear your

positive posts! Looking forward to this cruise!!

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I ARE ON THE JULY 23RD CRUISE FROM MIAMI

BEEN CRUISIN BEFORE BUT NOT ON CELEBRITY

We are in an Aft ( always prefer these cabins) on the 8 th floor

Would love one upper.. but not available

Love to meet people at

the bar - we love having fun with bartenders and people

See you there

We're on this cruise too and we have a very active role call. Come on over and join us!