Overland pre-cruise to Iguazu

OldBoot

Just booked a Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise for this December. Considering taking the ships overland your to the falls. Pricey, but offers peace of mind. Has anyone else done this HAL tour?

Sent from my K00L using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

We took the airplane ride and it was an hour and 50 minutes so I imagine the land trip is rather long. We used LANTAN and obtained the reservation/tickets from American Airlines. The falls were spectacular however unless you have a visa to enter Brazil, you can only see one side.

The title is misleading. I used overland vs. shore excursion. It is a flight. Lol If I were more adventurous I would've made my own arrangements for less money. However I am feeling at peace with the outlay. One booking and HAL does everything including sending your bags ahead to the ship.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

We decided to do our own trip. Left a bag at our BA hotel. Arranged air and hotel on our own. Worked out to about 1/2 the price of the cruise line or tour company excursion cost.

It was one of the highlights of our trip.

We decided to do our own trip. Left a bag at our BA hotel. Arranged air and hotel on our own. Worked out to about 1/2 the price of the cruise line or tour company excursion cost.

It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Perhaps it's not too late for us? 1/2 the price is pretty tempting. Are you Spanish speakers?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

No, we hav no Spanish. Nor was it an issue. We gots lots of good info on tripadvisor. The theme running through the postings was that you definitely do not need a guide. We only did the Argentine side.

We went to the local Aerolinas site and discovered that the air fares varied by time of day and how early one booked the flight. The flights were about $100 less per person than the numbers we were getting on imatrix, Expedia, etc. We tried to book but found out it was for in country bookings only. So...we called the Aerolineas North America 1800 number. The Agent told us that if we called their BA call center direct we could book. She gave us the phone numbers and told us they spoke English. We did call, we booked without an issue other than each fare had to be processed as a seperate Visa transaction. The rest was easy, booked a hotel in town. Hotel arranged for airport pick up, and return. The bus to the park was a five minute walk from our hotel.

We do a fair amount of independent land travel. This self tour was a snap to book. No language issues whatsoever. My advice would be to book a hotel right in town vs the Sheraton in the park or one of the hotels on the outskirts. Much better to be able to walk to dinner, etc. This was not difficult to do. We are glad we saved the money and used it for other things.

Edited by iancal