CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

THANK YOU! This saves me so much in time and effort!

The Ramada shuttle will take you to the port at 9, 10, or 11. It will pick up (I think hourly) starting at 8 am. I did this on a Sunday morning and I was in my car on the way home to Boston before 8:30 am. The Ramada is just about the closest EWR hotel to the port at Exit 14 and is not out of the way regardless if you're going north, south, or west.

We are going on Celebrity Summit on October 8 to Canada and New England. We are planning to fly into EWR on October 7 and we need to find a hotel that has shuttle service to the port for the 8th. Recommendations please. Also, how should we get from the port to car rental companies on the way back?

We are going on Celebrity Summit on October 8 to Canada and New England. We are planning to fly into EWR on October 7 and we need to find a hotel that has shuttle service to the port for the 8th. Recommendations please. Also, how should we get from the port to car rental companies on the way back?

There are very few hotels at EWR with a shuttle service that we recommend. These hotels charge extra for the shuttle. Embassy Suites and Country Inns on International Blvd in Elizabeth are two of your options, but Country Inns is showing as sold out for your date. Embassy Suites is about $215 tax included (less with Hilton Honors or AAA discounts) plus $20/pp each way for the shuttle.

Your other option is a park cruise package through trinityreservations.com for $175 tax included for a hotel room at the Ramada Plaza and round trip port transportation.

Most of the car rentals are accessible from the Airtrain, so you can take a shared shuttle from Cape Liberty back to the airport for $20/pp to access the Airtrain. If you use Trinity, you can get dropped off at the P4 Airtrain station. On arrival to get to any hotel you will need to take the Airtrain from the terminal to P4 to connect with your hotel shuttle.

Looking for some last minute advice! We're at the Residence Inn in Elizabeth right now and are boarding Anthem tomorrow yay!! Looking for some good driving directions to the port from the hotel. How's the traffic on a Monday morning? We want to get there by about 1015a so what time should we leave the hotel? Any words of wisom are appreciated!!

Looking for some last minute advice! We're at the Residence Inn in Elizabeth right now and are boarding Anthem tomorrow yay!! Looking for some good driving directions to the port from the hotel. How's the traffic on a Monday morning? We want to get there by about 1015a so what time should we leave the hotel? Any words of wisom are appreciated!!

Hi there!

We're on Anthem with you. Traffic dies down going into Manhattan via the Holland at 9-9:30 most days. I'm hoping this will be a light traffic week approaching July 4.

You can get on the Turnpike at 13A, take it north and stay to the right to get off at the 14- 14A-B-C split, I-78 East towards the Holland Tunnel. Get off at 14A. Follow toll plaza signs to go onto Avenue E (don't take 440, too much truck traffic and it's a pain with the construction. Take Avenue E from the Turnpike exit (53rd St) to 45th St. Make a left at 45th near the light rail station. You will go over a hump, go down one block, and make a right onto Chosin Way. Take Chosin Way to the end (a firehouse will be on your left) and then make a left onto the road that goes straight back to the cruise port.

Without traffic it's a half hour at the most. With traffic, 40. I've made it home from IKEA in 15-20 without traffic. Leaving at 10 would probably get you here for 10:30, so leave at 9:45 or so if you'd like to be earlier. Listen to local traffic reports on 880 AM (WCBS-AM) or 1010 WINS - AM to see if there's any problems on what they refer to as the Newark Bay Extension. That's what they call the part of the turnpike that heads to the Holland Tunnel.

Happy sailing!

hi, Can someone pls tell me how to get from Cape Liberty cruise terminal to a train that will take us to Penn Station. Thank you. Tina

Newark Penn Station or New York Penn Station? I'm assuming NY Penn Station.

Two choices - take a shared shuttle to EWR for $20/pp and the free Airtrain to Newark Airport Station to catch NJ Transit to NY Penn Station for $13/pp. Other option is to take a shared shuttle to the Hudson-Bergen light rail for about $6/pp, light rail to Hoboken for $2.25/pp, PATH to 33rd & 6th for $2.75/pp, and walk one avenue to NY Penn Station on 7th Ave.

Where are you going from "Penn Station"?

Newark Penn Station or New York Penn Station? I'm assuming NY Penn Station.

Two choices - take a shared shuttle to EWR for $20/pp and the free Airtrain to Newark Airport Station to catch NJ Transit to NY Penn Station for $13/pp. Other option is to take a shared shuttle to the Hudson-Bergen light rail for about $6/pp, light rail to Hoboken for $2.25/pp, PATH to 33rd & 6th for $2.75/pp, and walk one avenue to NY Penn Station on 7th Ave.

Where are you going from "Penn Station"?

We live on Long Island and use Penn Station often to get in/out of the city. Thank you so much for the info. I think going to the airport and taking the shuttle sounds most convenient. Tina

We live on Long Island and use Penn Station often to get in/out of the city. Thank you so much for the info. I think going to the airport and taking the shuttle sounds most convenient. Tina

You can also Uber to Newark Penn Station and only pay $5.25 to take NJ Transit from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station. The Uber prices should be $40 or less for this trip. No real need to decide ahead of time - either strategy will work.

Just checking in and thanking you all for information about staying and traveling in the cruise port area. We came down a couple of days early so that we could do some sight seeing and using the package for "Trinity Reservation" for parking and port shuttle. Used one of the hotel booking apps to reserve the room the nights not covered by 'Trinity'

Yes, the Ramada is a little bit tired looking, but as it is a place to lay our head down when we sleep, we are very pleased.

Again, thanks for the suggestions for accommodations and travel.

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just checking in and thanking you all for information about staying and traveling in the cruise port area. We came down a couple of days early so that we could do some sight seeing and using the package for "Trinity Reservation" for parking and port shuttle. Used one of the hotel booking apps to reserve the room the nights not covered by 'Trinity'

Yes, the Ramada is a little bit tired looking, but as it is a place to lay our head down when we sleep, we are very pleased.

Again, thanks for the suggestions for accommodations and travel.

Sue

Glad it worked out for you. It's not a fancy hotel, but IMO it's a solid 3* for EWR and considering the price point of the package, well worth considering.

Glad it worked out for you. It's not a fancy hotel, but IMO it's a solid 3* for EWR and considering the price point of the package, well worth considering.

I would recommend the package to anyone driving to the area. We had our 'wheels' to get to and from Liberty State Park ( again, thanks for tips about visiting Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty).

Very glad we have a reliable navigation in our vehicle, not sure I could tell my husband how to get from A to B without some assistance [emoji851]

Have a great day everyone,

Sur

Booked the embassy for $183 total with tax. Having breakfast included and their pantry plus micro and fridge are pluses. Will email them about port transfer , no info online and no one is answering at front desk. Is the transfer definitely available??

Says there is a mall nearby, walkable?

Hi franl24fan - I'm flying in on 9/22 and also solo on Anthem (my first solo cruise). I'm wondering if you were able to confirm a shuttle can be booked separately at Embassy - without booking their park/sail package? I called several weeks ago and was told there wasn't an option to book it separately. I've since read in a thread somewhere that you can book one for $20 when you check in. Others reported calling and receiving the same info that I was given but found when they arrived you could book it separately. Some were told no such shuttle existed.

I try to stay at Hilton properties for the points, and I'm torn between the DoubleTree or Embassy both at EWR. DoubleTree is much cheaper, and I've considered taking an Uber to port...... maybe a back up plan..???? I'm leaning toward Embassy as there are a few choices available within walking distance for dinner vs. the DoubleTree is only the hotel restaurant. Looking at google maps, there is an outlet mall about .4 a mile walking through the parking lots behind Embassy. Mostly fast food choices there. I saw a Ruby Tuesday's and an Ihop located beside Embassy for an easy stroll.

I had an e mail 'conversation' with the manager about 6 months ago and he said that all you needed to do for the shuttle was ask to be put on the list for it when you check in. It had better work like that, or someone at the ES will be getting some serious grief from me on 30th August!!!

Simon

Hi franl24fan - I'm flying in on 9/22 and also solo on Anthem (my first solo cruise). I'm wondering if you were able to confirm a shuttle can be booked separately at Embassy - without booking their park/sail package? I called several weeks ago and was told there wasn't an option to book it separately. I've since read in a thread somewhere that you can book one for $20 when you check in. Others reported calling and receiving the same info that I was given but found when they arrived you could book it separately. Some were told no such shuttle existed.

I try to stay at Hilton properties for the points, and I'm torn between the DoubleTree or Embassy both at EWR. DoubleTree is much cheaper, and I've considered taking an Uber to port...... maybe a back up plan..???? I'm leaning toward Embassy as there are a few choices available within walking distance for dinner vs. the DoubleTree is only the hotel restaurant. Looking at google maps, there is an outlet mall about .4 a mile walking through the parking lots behind Embassy. Mostly fast food choices there. I saw a Ruby Tuesday's and an Ihop located beside Embassy for an easy stroll.

The Hilton Newark Penn Station is only $159 + tax for Hilton Honors members for 9/22. With the money you save, you can take an Uber to the port. They also have an airport shuttle. This is a hotel that RCL has been known to use for folks who book precruise accommodations through them.

This Hilton is attached to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk, so if you want to run into NYC (NJ Transit to Midtown and PATH to downtown World Trade), you can easily do that.

We are booked on Anthem for August 12, but are arriving in EWR on August 11th at 10:40 am. We will most likely stay at the Robert Treat. Our plan is to focus our time around the 9/11 memorial area.

We would like to visit the 9/11 Tribute Museum and take one of their guided tours of the Memorial. Then we will head to the 9/11 Museum.

Considering our flight arrives EWR at 10:40am, and we need to drop off our luggage at the hotel, what time can we expect to be at WTC? Any advice for lunch? Should we eat near Robert Treat or near the memorial? Any times that should be avoided on PATH (rush hour)?

Thanks so much!!

If you want to eat near the Memorial, there is a nice brand new mall with all sorts of upscale food court options. They tell you to go there to use the restrooms anyway. Lol. There is indoor and outdoor seating.

lol, well I'm sure we'll be making a visit! :D

We are booked on Anthem for August 12, but are arriving in EWR on August 11th at 10:40 am. We will most likely stay at the Robert Treat. Our plan is to focus our time around the 9/11 memorial area.

We would like to visit the 9/11 Tribute Museum and take one of their guided tours of the Memorial. Then we will head to the 9/11 Museum.

Considering our flight arrives EWR at 10:40am, and we need to drop off our luggage at the hotel, what time can we expect to be at WTC? Any advice for lunch? Should we eat near Robert Treat or near the memorial? Any times that should be avoided on PATH (rush hour)?

Thanks so much!!

You have a lot of connections to make, which opens up the opportunity for delays, and you want to see two time consuming museum areas. I wouldn't book anything too early in the afternoon.

Arrive at 10:40 - plane can be delayed

Claim luggage - 20-30 minutes

Take Airtrain to the P4 station - 10-15 minutes

Wait for hotel shuttle - up to 30 minutes

Drive to hotel - 20-30 minutes

Leave luggage - up to 15 minutes

Wait for hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station - up to 30 minutes (local cab is inexpensive)

Find PATH, buy tickets, wait for train, ride to WTC - 30-40 minutes

Find first museum - 10 minutes

How much time for lunch do you need? Without lunch I see you arriving at World Trade between 1 and 2 pm if all goes fairly smoothly. I wouldn't be booking any timed tickets before 3 pm unless you pay extra for direct transportation between the airport and the hotel. If you use the hotel shuttle, I would call the hotel to find out when you should call them to request it.

I wouldn't worry about rush hour on PATH - you won't yet be done with all the museum stuff. If it's crowded, just wait for the next train to get a seat. WTC and Newark Penn are the two ends of the line, so trains empty out in arrive empty.

You have a lot of connections to make, which opens up the opportunity for delays, and you want to see two time consuming museum areas. I wouldn't book anything too early in the afternoon.

Arrive at 10:40 - plane can be delayed

Claim luggage - 20-30 minutes

Take Airtrain to the P4 station - 10-15 minutes

Wait for hotel shuttle - up to 30 minutes

Drive to hotel - 20-30 minutes

Leave luggage - up to 15 minutes

Wait for hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station - up to 30 minutes (local cab is inexpensive)

Find PATH, buy tickets, wait for train, ride to WTC - 30-40 minutes

Find first museum - 10 minutes

How much time for lunch do you need? Without lunch I see you arriving at World Trade between 1 and 2 pm if all goes fairly smoothly. I wouldn't be booking any timed tickets before 3 pm unless you pay extra for direct transportation between the airport and the hotel. If you use the hotel shuttle, I would call the hotel to find out when you should call them to request it.

I wouldn't worry about rush hour on PATH - you won't yet be done with all the museum stuff. If it's crowded, just wait for the next train to get a seat. WTC and Newark Penn are the two ends of the line, so trains empty out in arrive empty.

Thank you so much for that timeline! It really puts things into perspective! Just a quick bite for lunch will do the trick! :)

I thought the Embassy having the free breakfast (hopefully with some gluten free options) and the 24 hour pantry in the lobby would make it easier for me. My flight gets in at 6PM, so all I want to do is get to the hotel, fix something light to eat, then go to bed. As to the port shuttle, I am going on the info that you can sign up at check in. I'm sure someone who is going to do that on a cruise before ours will be kind enough to come back and post an update on this thread. Shame the hotel can't train their staff to provide correct info. Back up option would be to come down to the lobby and try to share a cab or Uber to the port with someone.

If you decide to stay at the Embassy perhaps we can email each other directly and share info. This will be my 26th RCI cruise, most as a solo, or a solo with a group of friends.I originally was supposed to be on Sept 9th cruise, pushed it back 2 weeks to finish up some medical treatments.

Do the shuttles to EWR depart every so many minutes or do they wait until they are full?

Do the shuttles make stops at United, Air Canada etc or does everyone get off at the same place once having reached EWR?

Thanks.

Got off Anthem on Saturday morning & it was a mess. They were very behind. We walked down at 10:30, didn't get through customs til after 11. Since we live local it isn't an issue but if I'd had to get to EWR for an early flight, I would have panicked. People were lining up for self carry an hour before docking.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app