Unruly Kids

Slacktide

Hubby and I took a cruise on the Dream back in early October 2014. Never in my day have I ever seen such unruly kids during both day and night. The kids were spitting on people, saying nasty and rude comments to people they passed, running into senior citizens knocking them down. There were no parents around, or a guardian watching over them, and I refused to deal with it and would leave the area if they were around. Because of that, I refuse to go early October any more. Don't get me wrong, I know kids can be a pain during the whole year, but someone told me that I had actually gone during Fall Break, which I refuse to book a cruise during that time going forward. It's not the fault of Carnival, and you can't expect them to really do anything unless another passenger, crew, or staff is injured. If someone tried to say or do anything, the child is quick to say something to the parent, and then arguments, fights, and someone trying to sue each other starts. It all falls back on parents/guardians, and I hope that people with children will read this and take heed. People with children that teach them to act right around others and be respectful, thank you so much for teaching your children to have manners. I taught my children at a young age, and growing up they knew better. All my husband and I had to do was give them the "look", and they always acted right. There is no real cure or answer to this ongoing problem because again, Carnival really have their hands tied when it comes to other people's children, unless someone is hurt. John Heald cannot be expected to cure this issue, and I just hope that maybe during the time we are going on our upcoming cruise a lot of the kids will be in school. Just sad that this seems to be an ongoing issue.

There were some unruly kids splashing in the hot tub on the lido deck while we were watching a movie. I had to raise my voice to one of the girls because she was dunking another girl, pinching her nose and trying to hold her head under the water. She looked at me, got out of the hot tub and stomped away. I was sure hoping I would see her again with an adult so I could tell them what she was doing. :mad:

I wonder why people have to mention "I've seen more unruly adults" when the thread is about unruly kids. Another thread can be dedicated to situations where there are unruly adults, but this one is about unruly kids. Makes me wonder if the people who change the subject are parents of kids who are unsupervised and unruly on the ships. :confused: :confused:

It's been a while since I cruised but I'll be taking my daughter on her first cruise Thursday. I know she'll do awesome as she ROCKED her first transatlantic flight and trip to Paris recently in April. She did well in the Louvre as well as the cafes. As a single working mom (snark) it was so nice to go away and spend time with her and she had everyone doting on her with her awesome behavior. Teaching is rewarding and hard work, but we all need breaks!

I'm not worried about kids on our upcoming cruise. I'm more chill now. I just go to another area. I don't want my daughter thinking certain behaviors are okay.

I wonder why people have to mention "I've seen more unruly adults" when the thread is about unruly kids. Another thread can be dedicated to situations where there are unruly adults, but this one is about unruly kids. Makes me wonder if the people who change the subject are parents of kids who are unsupervised and unruly on the ships. :confused: :confused:

Maybe the point is that unruly behavior isn't limited to just kids. I don't see the point in threads about kids OR adults. It really solves nothing. People are people and not everyone acts the same. And when you are part of a captive crowd for a week or however long, there's no real way to escape certain behaviors that you may not like. There's a certain amount of tolerance we all have to have. If it gets way out of hand, go tell someone. It may help. Maybe not. But alot of the stuff I see mentioned is not worth getting worked up over. And if it did bother me just that much, I would avoid cruises with kids at all costs. Likewise if drunken adults really irked the hell out of me, I probably wouldn't book a Carnival cruise to be honest. Lol. Or NCL either with their included drink packages. Not sure how the other lines do.

You've got people on here make huge leaps about the kids of single motherd versus non-working moms, etc. All quite ridiculous IMHO. There's no way to lump behavior of people (kids or adults) into one or two boxes. People tend to drink more on a cruise. Kids are fascinated and excited and sometimes get out of hand. But I've never encountered anything that was so bad that I couldn't either overlook it or find a way as an adult to correct. Most kids will stop if you say things in a light hearted way. Or firm if that's what it takes without being mean. And the ones that don't can't be helped and aren't worth the trouble to begin with.

And yes we bring our own and I wish they behinds woullld cut up!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The unruly adults are awful too. Just watched a youtube video and 3 adults were walking down a cabin deck hallway talking about as loud as they could and laughing loudly. It was terrible behavior in the hallway where others might like to enjoy some quiet.

Interesting point of view. I know when I see negative over generalizations about a demographic I'm a part of I figure that since I don't do the negative thing specified, it doesn't apply to me. Therefore, I feel no need to become defensive. Now if someone says anything negative about ME specifically that isn't true, I will become defensive. I guess some can't separate generalized threads as not about them specifically and personally. Just saying. ;)

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

We had a crazy moment last week on the Valor with some unruly (no parents around at ALL!!!) children in the pool. The 8:00 movie had just begun on the screen. We watch movies on every cruise and expect the "normal" pool noise of goofing around and having fun. "Normal" noise was not what these kids were making! They ranged in ages from 8-12 and were running around the perimeter of the pool screaming (not yelling as that would have been tolerable) "Marco" - "Polo". This went on for about 10 minutes (had to hand to them for their stamina though!). Then an older kid (maybe 13 or 14) joined the screaming and running around the pool area yelling "Marco" "Polo". Finally a lady on the end yelled at them and asked them to bring it down a notch. They all looked at her and just started it all over - even louder this time. Then, one of the Carnival Security Guard guys came up and just stood over to the side watching for a moment. The she stepped up closer to the pool and the 13 year old kicked water at another child and drenched the Security Guard. Not going to lie - everyone trying to watch the movie enjoyed that moment a little too much - you know like when a jerk cuts you off and speeds away and then you pass him in a few minutes pulled over getting a ticket - yeah - that kind of enjoyment! Well - when that happened, all of the obnoxious 8-12 year olds scrambled to the end of the pool and sat down on the wooden bench and froze. The lady who asked them to calm down said - "Yep - guys - this Security Guard is here for you." They stood up to try to leave and the Security Guard came over and told them to find their parents and stay with them for the rest of the evening. Not a bad moment - doesn't usually work out that way. We were really pleased that they came down and handled the situation!

During a summer cruise a few years ago, I was at the forward open decks below the bridge, because it is usually quiet and empty late at night. This time, some kids, likely 8th or 9th graders were hanging out a deck or two down in the area. the group as a couple of boys and a handful of girls. The lead boy was trying to impress the girls by erroneously pointing out constellations "... and that one is Orion the Hunter." I minded my own business, I did NOT bother correcting him that Orion is not visible during the summer because it would be behind the sun. You have to wait until around Winter to see Orion. It's kind of funny when boys pretend to know things to impress the girls.

Anyway, his line worked. A few nights later, I was cutting through serenity deck to meet my wife, and saw this guy, with one of the girls, in one of the covered couches. Once again, I don't say anything because a) it's not my business and b) I was on vacation from teaching and yeah, not going to supervise someone else's kids when on my vacation from supervising someone else's kids.

Moral of the story: Parents, if your kids are not supervised on the cruise, or at least have appropriate boundaries instilled in them, you can pretty well imagine what they WILL be doing.

As a "helicopter parent" I think half of you are either out of touch of just plain obnoxious! I, first of all, am a SINGLE MOM....I take great offense at the poster that said that children of single "moms" have no respect. You obviously do not respect the AWESOME job I am doing. And while my child has a few advantages, if you ask anyone how delightful and well behaved she is, IN SPITE OF the cell phone she has had since she was 8 because I AM a single mother and need her to call me if the baby sitter etc is or has a problem while I am working...they will tell you that she is NOT unruly or a "brat". She doesn't run around a ship either because old people are perverts. How is THAT for generalization? Personally....I think that if you choose a family cruiseline you need to deal with families. If you don't like my kids....go elsewhere. You wont see mine in an elevator unattended. Unsafe. But I will see you after too many drinks fall and break your leg!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

In case you didn't know, you were as an individual were not personally attacked in your parenting skills. Funny thing about generalizations are that if 75% of a group behave a certain way, than people will generalize about the group. It's kind of like profiling. Expecting a certain behavior based on the majority. So, I'm glad you are part of the minority, but it does not change the majority. Maybe by your example, others will follow.

By the way, why wouldn't the babysitter be able to call if there was a problem? And all you saying all guys are perverts over a certain age? Aren't you saying the same thing by profiling the older male, based on your personal experience or some other generalization?

In case you didn't know, you were as an individual were not personally attacked in your parenting skills. Funny thing about generalizations are that if 75% of a group behave a certain way, than people will generalize about the group. It's kind of like profiling. Expecting a certain behavior based on the majority. So, I'm glad you are part of the minority, but it does not change the majority. Maybe by your example, others will follow.

By the way, why wouldn't the babysitter be able to call if there was a problem? And all you saying all guys are perverts over a certain age? Aren't you saying the same thing by profiling the older male, based on your personal experience or some other generalization?

THIS is why social media or text or whatever written gets so screwed up! I placed the following question...how is that for generalization?....to tell those of you doing it that NO....not all are perverts and not all single Moms aren't taking care of business. First of all, being a single Mom does NOT mean that the other parent is not involved. But the Mom usually has the largest part of the responsibility. In my case, he gets to see her a few hours and brings her back when she cries. For those of you not getting it....not literally cries. I get offended over many things on CC as it isn't the place it was when I first started on here under another name 20 yrs ago. The negativity AMAZES me when this is about our VACATION!!!! I did not take it personally because my daughter is learning from me how a single woman is just as capable of doing and having it all without being dependent on anyone. The super nice home, the very profitable career where Mom is at the top of her game, time allowed because she works so hard, when she NEEDS to, to play with, be room Mom and travel with her, complete three course homecooked meals every night, AND all this while dancing backwards in heals and going thru chemo for leukemia. ALL Without a nap. My kid has learned respect for others, herself and integrity BECAUSE I am a single Mom. I am getting married in July and will acquire 2 step children. I hope they gain these same lessons in a different way from me. Not as hard of a way as my daughter (and older children....one which just graduated top of his college class in Boston) but in SOME way from my over achiever Mom way.

Look folks.....this thread is about unruly kids on ships. Yes. They are there and I am NOT above correcting them myself. But DO NOT lump my kid or any other in like they are ALL or even MOSTLY this way. There MAY be a handful on each ship and they will be your repeat offenders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

So this will be post #89 on this thread. So far posters have opined that the following are the root causes for children misbehaving on cruise ships.

Working parents,

Kids who play video games,

Kids who don’t read books,

Kids who are overscheduled,

Kids don’t get A’s in school, ( Those four were all from one post!:eek: )

Parents drinking non-stop from 8:00am,

Helicopter parents.

Single mothers,

60+ perverts,

And of course we have had strong denials from some of those are they are not the problem.

Working parents do a good parenting job too.

Single mothers are great parents, no exceptional parents!

60+’s aren’t perverts.

Hasn't this thread been fun and informative!

I’m sure because of this thread none of us will ever encounter a misbehaving child on a cruise ship ever again. :rolleyes: