What's good about Arcadia

Mrs Tinkywinky

Hi. My thought would be to open further routes into the seating areas, as on Aurora. This would mean they wouldn't require such a large 'wasted' area as a gap between the current two rows of tables. This would allow the current two person tables to be moved out to create a third row of two person tables. More radical design could open it up to avoid a corridor between the rows of tables, but have groups of 2, 4 and 6 person tables.

Sadly, the only time seats were slightly easier to find were just before 7:30 am and after 3pm... we tried early and late lunches to no avail...

It's a shame some people were so thoughtless at times. Some of us ate, got up and moved on...

I agree about the smoking area just outside, this stopped us and others taking food outside to eat, which was a great shame.

Our next two cruises are back on Aurora. (Booked whilst on board this week) and we'll see if Arcadia is modified in her refit, before our next cruise on her in 18 months time! It won't stop us enjoying that cruise as (for our probably one and only time) we've booked an aft suite with large balcony for my 50th birthday year. We can eat some breakfasts and lunch on our balcony if necessary!

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing how views vary. My wife and I have cruised on Arcadia 3 times including 2 long cruises of 50+ days and we have found her to be fantastic. She sails extremely well which is very important for my sea-sick prone wife and we really appreciate the adults only environment. We have always found the staff to be happy and welcoming and have regularly commented about the happy feel of the ship compared to other P&O ships and Cunard. Our only negative observation is the noise and vibration we experienced last year at the very rear of the ship. Tis was apparently caused by a problem with 1 of the propulsion pods which one would hope has now been rectified. To summarize: a great ship.

Our only negative observation is the noise and vibration we experienced last year at the very rear of the ship. Tis was apparently caused by a problem with 1 of the propulsion pods which one would hope has now been rectified. To summarize: a great ship.

Last month I sailed on the Arcadia. We occupied a rear facing balcony cabin next door to a suite. There was absolutely no vibration in the cabin although in the nearest lift area vibration was noticeable on a few occasions. I was informed the propeller on the Arcadia faces in the reverse direction and sucks the ship forward rather than the usual push if that makes sense. That design is intended to reduce vibration and as far as I'm concerned it works.

We've just come back from a 14 night Baltic cruise on the Arcadia and had an aft corner suite ( deck 4 ). We noticed an increase in noise and vibration above 19 knots. Below 19 knots was not an issue. It seems that above 19-19.5 knots is when the noise and vibration increases noticeably.

Having said that we would not hesitate in booking the same suite again.

We've not been on the Arcadia before and loved it. To describe it in one word would be, 'unpretentious' Loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

^'Unpretentious' - I like it. :)

I've seen what HAL has done with the Arcadia's Dutch cousin, the Westerdam in her recent refit, and there are somethings that P&O should really consider. Some others, not so much - like converting the Crows Nest into an oversized ShoreEx desk.

Logistically tricky, but it appears that their version of the Ocean Grill changes between 'Celeb Chefs' on a rotation. Given P&O have this Food Heros thing going on, they ought to consider it (once the current Ocean Grill contract expires).

I've still not heard what they're doing to the Arcadia, so I think its fair to say, its just a freshen up rather than any major changes.

It's only a two week refurb, including transit times to Hamburg, so nothing of massive significance , though I believe it will be like a swarm of bees descending on the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums