Been 'upgraded' by P&O

benwyvis

Had a message from P&O that my cabin on Ventura 4th August has been upgraded, in their words, from mid way on Riviera deck to cabin A427, which is one deck down. The facilities are the same except the new cabin is directly opposite the lift access doors, I do feel this is a shabby trick to fill an unwanted cabin, do I have to accept this move?

mike

Had a message from P&O that my cabin on Ventura 4th August has been upgraded, in their words, from mid way on Riviera deck to cabin A427, which is one deck down. The facilities are the same except the new cabin is directly opposite the lift access doors, I do feel this is a shabby trick to fill an unwanted cabin, do I have to accept this move?

mike

Were you are moved to will be a higher grade. Possibly closer to the centre of the ship.

We always go for a cabin near the lifts, I fail to understand what you think is wrong with the location. There is no extra noise. Why would you not want to be there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

mike

A deck is much better than Riviera deck which gets a lot of noise from the Lido deck above and I have heard lots of people complaining about it when I have been on Ventura. It is always better to have a cabin that has cabins above and below as they are usually quieter.

We have had cabins close to lifts and stairs which is very convenient and have never had a problem with noise. I would be very happy with the upgrade you have been given.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

Assuming you specifically chose A427, at the time of booking you should have ticked the 'no upgrade' box. Unless you do that, P&O have the right to move you to whatever they consider a higher grade of cabin.

Assuming you specifically chose A427, at the time of booking you should have ticked the 'no upgrade' box. Unless you do that, P&O have the right to move you to whatever they consider a higher grade of cabin.

A427 is where the OP was moved to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

mike

You can ask P&O to reverse it. They will usually say no, but if you stand your ground they may relent. They have generally allocated your original cabin to s.o. else as soon as they have moved you.

The problem is that most people think an upgrade means a better cabin grade but in nearly all cases it is to a more expensive location so in P&O terms always towards the middle of the ship We tick the no upgrades box because once we've chosen our cabin we don't want to be moved to a noisy or less convenient area.

However we do like again near the lifts and never hear noise from it so you may be OK as others have said A deck is better than Lido

A deck is much better than Riviera deck which gets a lot of noise from the Lido deck above and I have heard lots of people complaining about it when I have been on Ventura. It is always better to have a cabin that has cabins above and below as they are usually quieter.

We have had cabins close to lifts and stairs which is very convenient and have never had a problem with noise. I would be very happy with the upgrade you have been given.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

I know this is about balcony cabins but I'd just like to reassure people who are on Riveria deck that we have been forward on R (in an inside) 3 times and there is no noise from above there.

I know this is about balcony cabins but I'd just like to reassure people who are on Riveria deck that we have been forward on R (in an inside) 3 times and there is no noise from above there.

That could be because the forward cabins are actually under the Lido deck cabins, in fact all cabins up to #309 and #310 have cabins above them, as well as a smaller overhang from above, so less shaded on the balcony, but don't tell P&O or they might move them to a higher grade.

Surprised you are being upgraded part way through a cruise. We are on Azura from 29th July for 14 nights?? never heard of an upgrade during a cruise unless you complain at the time?

OP is sailing on Ventura.

I was told last week that your "upgrade" will only be the same type of cabin but in a perceived better location. In other words if you are in an inside cabin forget any ideas you may have about being allocated a balcony cabin.

Furthermore if you are upgraded, then you cannot change your mind. Upon hearing that, I declined to to decline any offer of possible upgrades.

I was told last week that your "upgrade" will only be the same type of cabin but in a perceived better location. In other words if you are in an inside cabin forget any ideas you may have about being allocated a balcony cabin.

Furthermore if you are upgraded, then you cannot change your mind. Upon hearing that, I declined to to decline any offer of possible upgrades.

There are two different options you can select when it comes to upgrades. The default one catches many people out (as evidenced on this thread) as it generally results in a relocation to the same type of cabin but in a position that P&O deems more desireable, but often isn't. These aren't upgrades IMO, but pure relocations and may place you in a noisier area. For example, I would prefer to be at the front or rear of the ship as it's quieter than midships, yet P&O charges more for midships due mostly to people's fear that if you are at the front or back you will be thrown around in rough seas whilst those in midships cabins will be all calm. Complete nonsense of course as the difference is negligible.

Then there is a little know option to select an upgrade on the condition that it is only to a different type of cabin. In other words, even if you are in the cheapest grade of inside cabin, if you are luck enough to be upgraded, it would only be to an outside cabin or better, not another inside cabin that P&O class as a higher grade.

So, if like me, you research cabin locations very carefully to ensure that you are not above or below a source of noise (public rooms, open decks etc), then either opt out of upgrades or only opt for the second version. That way, even if you are upgraded to a noisier location, at least you will have a significantly better cabin to compensate.