Eden

Drobot234

I'm firmly in the GenX category and I think it looks intriguing. Will I do the night thing? Probably not, but that is more due to allergies. But I think it looks lovely for daytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. Then they've probably hit their mark. Husband and I are older and younger boomers... plenty of ships for us. Will hang on to our reservation and see.

It's an interesting space, I see it as a combination of Two70 on Quantum class, the hideaway on Sillhouette/Reflection and Central Park on Oasis class. Sounds good for lounging around or having a drink during the day. I'll have to wait and see more on the Eden Restaurant, I wasn't a fan of Wonderland and this sounds similar.

It's an interesting space, I see it as a combination of Two70 on Quantum class, the hideaway on Sillhouette/Reflection and Central Park on Oasis class. Sounds good for lounging around or having a drink during the day. I'll have to wait and see more on the Eden Restaurant, I wasn't a fan of Wonderland and this sounds similar.

Since so many of you are comparing it to "Two70" and I have never been on an RCL ship, can you tell me was the Two70 open to everyone on the ship or just a particular class? I know that the Central Park is open to all and that the hideaway is a chargeable option. With the cabins that X has announced it is pretty apparent that they are looking for the "high end" cruiser. But I would hate to sail on Edge only to find that a quarter or more of the ship was not available to me. I know that is where cruising is headed (Norwegian does it, Luminae is a good example) and to me that's sad.

Jim

The whole thing - design, colors, concept - sort of creeped me out. Not a fan of sitar music or Cirque du Soleil acrobatics. I was hoping Celebrity would lean more in the direction of "fun younger lite version of Seabourn on a larger ship with more to do". This is just weird. Maybe millennials will like it?

I think I'm looking for the same thing you are, and I think we will have to look at those more-upscale lines to find it. We're trying Viking Ocean next year. SilverSea has a new ship that is interesting [if they relax their formal dress code] Seabourn is also a possibility now that they have fixed their smoking policy, but reports on CC keep complaining about cutbacks. And we like Crystal a lot -- their new ships sound exactly like what we're describing, except that the high staff-to-passenger ratio probably means a big price increase. But since we've never had a really bad cruise [even on NCL ;)], it's fun to keep looking.

Since so many of you are comparing it to "Two70" and I have never been on an RCL ship, can you tell me was the Two70 open to everyone on the ship or just a particular class?

No restrictions on 270 except during shows.

I think it looks unique and exciting...and I love all the windows. Other than the now standard atrium on almost every ship, and the weirdly outdated looking multi story shopping areas on the larger vessels, no one line has made an effort to rethink the size, shape and character of the common area's space and volume. Eden looks like a totally fun place to hang out! I'm not that interested in the theme restaurant either, so I hope it doesn't take up too much space. And the "forest fairy" performers seem kind annoying and silly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I expect Edge to be quite different from the typical cruise ship and am cautiously optimistic that it will turn out beautiful. From this recent reveal though, there are a few things I can do without: live animals of any kind (except service animals) and particularly not snakes, food oddities, and Hedonistic performance art. Now one cannot conclude the performance art will ultimately be Hedonistic, but the reveal intimated such. The presenter (male) described the Eden atmosphere and offerings as "Edenistic" and that one should not add an "H" to the term to make it "Hed(o)nistic." It appears they are well aware of the sensualist orientation. I hope that Celebrity does not abandon tastefulness and refinement. I'll take Magical Mystery Tour (Reflection western Caribbean cruise December 2016) any day over scantily clad Cirque du Soleil performers gyrating with a snake.

I expect Edge to be quite different from the typical cruise ship and am cautiously optimistic that it will turn out beautiful. From this recent reveal though, there are a few things I can do without: live animals of any kind (except service animals) and particularly not snakes, food oddities, and Hedonistic performance art. Now one cannot conclude the performance art will ultimately be Hedonistic, but the reveal intimated such. The presenter (male) described the Eden atmosphere and offerings as "Edenistic" and that one should not add an "H" to the term to make it "Hed(o)nistic." It appears they are well aware of the sensualist orientation. I hope that Celebrity does not abandon tastefulness and refinement. I'll take Magical Mystery Tour (Reflection western Caribbean cruise December 2016) any day over scantily clad Cirque du Soleil performers gyrating with a snake.

I think I found their inspiration for Eden:

t-britney-spears-2001-vma-snake.jpg

So if Eden is going to take up 3 decks on the aft of the ship, where's the Main Dining Room going to be?

Also, if they want to make Eden a real success the Eden Cafe on deck 5 will serve Kummelweck Sandwiches for Lunch.

The main dining room will probably be about mid-ship as it is on the Solstice Class ships

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have to say, so far I am not finding much about Edge to tempt me in. From Celebrity I expect modern, chic venues with service to match. This is what we have found on Celebrity since we started sailing with them and what brings us back.

With what they have announced so far, one or two things intrigue me, but it now seems they are getting obsessed with gimmicks to try and draw in people new to cruising. Eden, to me, seems like they have taken the awful Indulgence experience they had on the S-Class ships and put it in a restaurant. The renderings do make it look like an interesting space - but as other's have said it looks like Two70 without the screens.

I'm all for the evolution of cruise ships and look forward to seeing what they can do with cabins and the ship - but if I want venues that are about gimmicks and not the service, I will book on Royal Caribbean. I want the service we have come to love with Celebrity and hope they keep some of their understated elegance in their next incarnation.

Well said sir!

Can you imagine if just one quarter of the ship decided to be there at the same time (like at a show on an S Class ship) what that would look like. We are just off the Solstice on our 5th cruise to Alaska and the sea days were packed all over the ship. Eden is either planned for just a few guests (Suites, Zenith) or this will be the most crowded part of the ship.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start charging an entry fee soon after launch. Remember Bistro on Five was supposed to be included with the fare, but soon after launch they added a $5 fee for meals there. The space in the presentation just isn't configured for several hundred people, so if it is popular, they will have to do something for crowd control - i.e., an entry fee.

I applaud the innovation. Eden, as a space, seems way more interesting than a huge Las Vegas-y shopping mall, or some new water park experience on an upper deck. It looks dramatic, and so much fun to explore. I hope it will feature nightly entertainment, and not just the forest fairies wondering around doing heaven knows what

That huge orange eyesore thing grinding up and down the side of the ship doesn't really interest me, but this totally does.

I think we'll wind up booking a cruise on the Edge.

No where has it even been suggested that snakes (or any other non-service animals) will be on board. No where is it being even suggested that the entertainment will be hedonistic. The suggestion is that the space will be "eden" like, which is a perfect idyllic natural environment. Further, since the suite options are all suited to accommodate families traveling with adults, I doubt there will be hedonistic performers roaming about at all hours. On the other hand, I would never describe cirque de soleil as hedonistic, maybe incomprehensible t some people. However, I do think the whole snake and apple campaign is too esoteric and ill conceived.

I think the snake and apple campaign is quite cool. It sells a little bit of naughtiness, it's visually eye popping, and it has us all talking. That said, it's just a teaser promo...I'm sure all their ads will ultimately just highlight the innovation on the ship.

Is there anyone besides me out there that wishes they would just cut out this esoteric teasing and show us a deck plan of the public spaces. ALL the public spaces?

For instance, when was the last time you were on an X ship that did not have the MDR aft on decks 3, 4 or 5? So how does that fit in with Eden?

The piece by piece reveal is intended to keep the Edge in people's mind during the long build time. If everything were revealed at the initial announcement then folks would forget it about it until it set sail.

The fact that the MDR is not where it has always been is a part of what they are trying to do with the Edge- push the boundaries and change traditional cruising a bit.

We are booked on the Edge & I had been thinking about cancelling since we don't care for Caribbean cruises and maybe spending the $ just to see the new cabins was a waste. The reveal of today changed my mind- in reality we may or may not like Eden ( or other yet to be revealed venues) but we are exited to try a different style ship.

The piece by piece reveal is intended to keep the Edge in people's mind during the long build time. If everything were revealed at the initial announcement then folks would forget it about it until it set sail.

The fact that the MDR is not where it has always been is a part of what they are trying to do with the Edge- push the boundaries and change traditional cruising a bit.

We are booked on the Edge & I had been thinking about cancelling since we don't care for Caribbean cruises and maybe spending the $ just to see the new cabins was a waste. The reveal of today changed my mind- in reality we may or may not like Eden ( or other yet to be revealed venues) but we are exited to try a different style ship.

I don't know if you were around when Solstice was coming out but they kept the buzz alive by putting a web cam on her as she was being built. We could watch every step of the way. There were threads right and left with comments. People were finding their cabins as it was built. They should do that again because from the very moment they announced Solstice, we saw deck plans.

I am concerned that this Eden will be another section of the ship that will either be for certain guests ONLY or crammed with people beyond belief.

Jim

I am concerned that this Eden will be another section of the ship that will either be for certain guests ONLY or crammed with people beyond belief.

Jim

Remember that suite guests will have The Retreat at the front of the ship, so I doubt that Eden could ever be restricted to them. And unlike the cabanas on the 2 newest S-class ships there isn't any private space to rent out in Eden. So I think it's meant to be open to everyone -- but I agree that it doesn't seem to be designed well to accommodate 'everyone.' Maybe it will be like Yogi's favorite restaurant, that 'nobody goes to anyone because it's too crowded.'

We don't know yet or if they'll be one.

I remember reading/hearing that there will in fact be a mdr on Edge

Given that when I booked my TA asked if I wanted one of the seating times or Select Dining, that tells me there should be some kind of MDR... I mean, if there wasn't and it was just lots of little places you have to pick from, why would times/select be an option on Edge bookings?

Anthem was launched with Dynamic Dining in 4 restaurants without an MDR. I still think this was a very good concept. However the traditional cruise loyalists hated any type of change and literally complained so much that the 4 restaurants are now called the MDR and treated as such. I'm sure Celebrity has paid attention to its sister company. But I applaud the attempts on the new ships to bring new life and changes into traditional cruising. Those passengers who don't like the changes should just book another more traditional ship on any number of cruise lines out there.