Muse Menus?

ernieb

Thanks, Les, for your thorough presentation of the Muse.

When we sail on her I have decided that Indochine will be my surrogate cabin!

You're welcome.

Before sailing I did think that Atlantide would be my favourite. Indeed going on reservations, it certainly is the most widely used. Obviously everyone has their own preferences, but given the lack of menu change, the choice in Indochine for me was preferable to Atlantide and La Terrazza. (Which is a surprise as La Terrazza is my usual fav.)

At least everyone can see in advance what choices there are and make a more informed decision for reservations.

Indochine is a wise choice.... particularly as there seemed always to be spare capacity.

La Terrazza walk through in 4K shot on GoPro Silver (Link also posted in case the direct youtube frame doesn't load.)

Very nice. We were on the same sailing. Had no complaints about any of the dining venues and tried all apart from La Dame. Loved Indochine but we were surprised that it seemed to get quieter as the cruise went on and Atlantide got busier. We liked the concept of the different dining venues and the lack of a MDR didn't bother us. Off to check the rest of your YouTube clips now - thanks!

Very nice. We were on the same sailing. Had no complaints about any of the dining venues and tried all apart from La Dame. Loved Indochine but we were surprised that it seemed to get quieter as the cruise went on and Atlantide got busier. We liked the concept of the different dining venues and the lack of a MDR didn't bother us. Off to check the rest of your YouTube clips now - thanks!

You might be able to work out what we did for Livorno! lol I'm with you on the format. I prefer more choice over a same same MDR. I expect you heard a few moans about not knowing its best to make reservations, but apart from nights of poor weather, I think it'll be fine for most. On bad weather nights.... hmmm... I can see there could be problems 'cos no one wants to be out in the rain. I suspect updates will come out for this.

It always struck me as odd that SS don't put sample menus on their website. Now, thanks to Les, they have no need to!

I've never really understand why passing info to guests seems to be such a problem for SS. Adding these menus in a decent format, wouldnt take them more than 5 minutes to do, but for those who like to plan and see whats in store, its such a simple thing to overcome - and potentially help with bookings.

Ive also never understood why "my.silversea" for the cruise you are on disappears either. Its almost like they dont want you to check your cruise info!

Some of these annoyances are so very easy for them to remedy.

Great video Les. You have accomplished through pictures and menus what SS couldn't. Now we are even more excited about our upcoming trip.

Next one to do will be a ship wide walk though.

I've unfortunately just suffered a hard drive failure from a brand new 4TB portable drive I bought to store photos and clear memory cards and space on laptops.

Tonight I learned the drive has died - Losing lots of footage and images. I had thought I'd lost all of my DSLR Muse images, but luckily that was one card that I hadn't wiped. So annoying though. I think most of what's been lost is from my med cruises last year. I have photobooks of them luckily.

I find managing images and storage very time consuming and "must get round to" jobs. Luckily I've a bit of time at the mo, but would be interest in what everyone else does. I know JP is on the ball with his image management.

Les,

If you buy a small NAS system with at least two mirror drives, then all of your images will always backed up on at least two drives automatically as scheduled ie every night. They also work as a cloud device and you can back up to them whilst you are traveling. The contents of the drive are also accessible from an ipad and pc app.

I also back up to two seperate USB drives and to Amazon Cloud which is unlimited free image storage for Prime account holders. I back up to these nightly whilst travelling.

I'm suprised considering how much of a passion your piccies are you don't have automated back ups. If there is nothing private on your drive then you might google hard drive recovery as there are experts that can retrieve data from failed drives for a fee.

Tonight I learned the drive has died - Losing lots of footage and images. I had thought I'd lost all of my DSLR Muse images, but luckily that was one card that I hadn't wiped. So annoying though. I think most of what's been lost is from my med cruises last year. I have photobooks of them luckily.

I find managing images and storage very time consuming and "must get round to" jobs. Luckily I've a bit of time at the mo, but would be interest in what everyone else does. I know JP is on the ball with his image management.

Les, sorry to hear about your hard drive failure. I am sure it can be recovered so if its important and don't mind spending money it can be forensic recovered.

What we do when its important for commercial photo shoots: first all camera bodies (equipped with two cards SD/CF or duel CF's) are set to record each picture to both cards in the camera. One is set on RAW and other set to JEPEG. (CF's only for 4K)

When down loading they are copied to SSD (solid state) portable drives (no spinning disks) and to files that are file structured in Dropbox. That way they are uploaded to cloud service of Dropbox when WIFI gets connected. We have found Dropbox to be the best deal for the money and sharing to clients. Also Dropbox file structure fits right into your computer.

Before erasing card 1 it is copied again to a 512GB SD card that are kept in the hotel or ships safe. When Card 2 gets filled (the backup JEPEG) it also gets copied to one of the 512GB SD cards.

This way we have any money shots in four different places. We gave up on spinning hard drives long ago, only SSD type now. In the last few years you have noticed what you paid for a 32GB SD card, you can now buy a 256GB SD card. Card for storage are not high speed only the two card in Camera bodies are high speed. If you have only consumer type cameras, this procedure can be modified for camera or video recorders with only one recording card. We modified the above when a group whent hiking in Uganda with 6 Gopro's. Lots of SD card switch-outs.

I know its an over kill but been on location in the middle of nowhere and had failed drives and failed SD cards. So good luck and I may have made it sound complicated but its not. It goes real fast in the field. Even had to do this complete job of 3000 RAW phots one night only using a portable generator with a flash light and a security guard standing over me, telling me to hurry up...

Edited by carefreecruise

Les,

If you buy a small NAS system with at least two mirror drives, then all of your images will always backed up on at least two drives automatically as scheduled ie every night. They also work as a cloud device and you can back up to them whilst you are traveling. The contents of the drive are also accessible from an ipad and pc app.

I also back up to two seperate USB drives and to Amazon Cloud which is unlimited free image storage for Prime account holders. I back up to these nightly whilst travelling.

I'm suprised considering how much of a passion your piccies are you don't have automated back ups. If there is nothing private on your drive then you might google hard drive recovery as there are experts that can retrieve data from failed drives for a fee.

I do have a server at home with 8Tb of Raid mirrored storage..... But the server often freezes and Ive got the stage I cant be bothered with it. (I have actually got a second 8TB server that Ive not even used. Laziness on my part I'm afraid.)

I'm actually struggling to work out what it is I've lost from the drive as I cant think of anything from the Muse thats missing. There may be stuff from March though. Funnily, I did use my Prime account to back up contents from my iPhone - but I semed to have killed that off with Video footage. (I know its unlimited images - but I appear to be locked in with this unfinished upload!)

The biggest problem though I always have is trying to catalogue things. I do have adobe lightroom, with unlimited adobe cloud storage, which probably gives the best overall combination... its just the time constraints and knowing the best way to tackle thats the problem

Les,

The NAS systems have improved hugely over the last year or two and are much easier to set up and use..

The recovering of data from a crashed drives is normally not really that big a deal. The normal reason for failure is the constantly spinning motor simply seizes after a while perhaps a few years of having constant spinning in a hot environment for a long time. , If you consider the read write surface as being like a set of stacked read write CDs/records, then they simply carefully dissamble the drive in a non-static clean environment , take out the spindle and put it into a new housing and recover all data. More often than not the data is untouched and in it's readable state after a drive has crashed. It can normally be thought of as simply like taking a CD out of one knackered player and putting it into another working one. Even if some of the surface has been disrupted much or most data can be re treived.

Quick question if I may ask. Did you notice if there was rice routinely available on the buffet for breakfast or lunch. My better half is Japanese and starts going through withdrawal without the rice.

Quick question if I may ask. Did you notice if there was rice routinely available on the buffet for breakfast or lunch. My better half is Japanese and starts going through withdrawal without the rice.

I'm sure you can request that they have it every morning. Should not be a problem.