New website

PoppyandNana

I spoke with the head of IT last week about this and explained that the lack of category listing made it difficult to access the captains club one category upgrade. The answer was surprising to say the least. They were amazed that people were complaining about the disappearance of Gifts by Celebrity, they didn't think anyone would miss it, but everyone caused such a fuss about it, they put it back. (You'd think they would track income streams, but who knows?!) They are now experiencing a

similar but larger fuss over the categories being gone and will work to replace them. In the meantime, I guess I will have to visit cruisedeckplans.com to see them. It is amazingly inconvenient, and the whole mess could have been avoided by having a group of past passengers who know what's important to them on a cruise website as a focus group. Someone just looked at the pictures on the new site and said "wow, this is impressive" without ever trying to do the basic functions we all would need.:eek::(

This reminds me of a very expensive software purchase by the company I worked for.

They showed the vendor's standard specs to each of the division managers and each manager said the software would be perfect for their division.

The problem is much like looking a brochures for a new car. The brochure shows many options and no doubt some combination of option would please each person in the family.

For example, you could get:

o a V-4 or V-6 engine.

o a two-door, four-door, or hatchback

o stick shift or automatic tarnsmission

o a variety of colors

So, a two-door with a V-4 engine with stick shift with the car's color being black might satisfy one person while a hatchback with a V-6 engine, automatic transmission and being painted white night satisfy a second person.

Each person would look at the brochure and say they would like that car. But once you picked various options, the resulting car might not satisfy anyone.

That was the case with the software my company purchased. The resulting implementation did not work for any of the divisions. When the divisions complained, the I.T. department told them that they had said after looking at what the software could do, they each approved purchasing it.

The result was that each division had to spend a fortune changing their business practices to fit what the purchased software could actually do.

on the old website it was easy to discern the different categories,1B etc. On the new one I don't see anywhere where the categories are shown. Am I missing something?

Cabin categories disappeared, at least in 6 months ago, on the old website.

I booked a cruise through a TA, but didn't have a brochure, so logged on, so that I could see the position of the cabin that she was upgrading me to, 2D price, 2C cabin.

Poppy and Nana: Go to the travel department website of the big box warehouse club* and click on cruises. Then select Celebrity and from there you can find a plethora of information about each ship, the cabin categories are color coded, and they match up with the deck plans by color.

Celebrity's website is just a bunch of sizzle. If you want the steak, go to the the big box warehouse where things actually work and book there. You'll garner some nice OBCs with every booking too.

* can't post the name here, you'll have to guess.

Poppy and Nana: Go to the travel department website of the big box warehouse club* and click on cruises. Then select Celebrity and from there you can find a plethora of information about each ship, the cabin categories are color coded, and they match up with the deck plans by color.

Celebrity's website is just a bunch of sizzle. If you want the steak, go to the the big box warehouse where things actually work and book there. You'll garner some nice OBCs with every booking too.

* can't post the name here, you'll have to guess.

If it is the big C you are talking about, no more OBC for a long while, only gift cards to their box....

If it is the big C you are talking about, no more OBC for a long while, only gift cards to their box....

I have noticed that also when looking at Celebrity cruises; but the gift card is substantial, even if you can't use it onboard, lol. I also noticed that if you book a Princess cruise, they still provide substantial obc for their sailings. Perhaps its a Celebrity thing. Maybe I'll try Royal Caribbean and see what happens.

Just tried Royal Caribbean, & they also only offer gift cards;must be a company policy, not the big C.

Edited by richsea
added last sentence

Not true; they were still there when I did a re-booking for a September cruise back in April. I had to put holds on a couple of A2's in order to have my TA the following day transfer my reservations to A1's for the loyalty 1-category upgrade.. If I had had to use the new website to do this, it would have been more difficult since I would have had to click on available cabins until I found a couple of Aqua Class cabins at the lowest price point.

Note: there were plenty of A1 cabins available, but there were only two A2's available. I had to put holds on the only A2 cabins before they disappeared since the loyalty upgrade cannot be done unless both the lower and upper cabin sub-categories are available at the time of the upgrade request.

I think I know the big C. If you are a regular member, it's a gift card. Elite get OBC.

d4 - Thanks for the info, yet in my immediate past experience, only a gift card has been offered. By Elite you mean with X? If that is the case, then we would not qualify or if you are talking about Elite with big box, then I Am....

bon voyage

Wife and I have a Time share which we use for about Ten weeks per year mostly to get away from Pa winters. They just introduced a new web site which I mostly use for reservations. I think they had the same web designer as Celebrity, absolutely impossible.