All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Melody, someone on a nearby lake does a SUP yoga class. I can't imagine! I have a hard enough time just standing up when the board is still. I don't know if I could step on like you do. I can kneel but I can't really squat any more, so I do downward dog then stand up. I'm surprised you could paddleboard so soon after your foot healed. I find that feet and ankles really get a workout.

Laurie, I love your dress lineup. Such a nice variety of color and style. I find my body shape can tolerate a lot more variety in style when I'm smaller, so I hope you are proud of what you've accomplished because it's given you all this flexibility to experiment and find such lovely choices.

My goal for this month has been to get to have my doctor appointment today. My mom is in hospice care now so we are on a very day-to-day kind of planning. I am trying to care for my own health which has taken quite a back seat through the last year or so. I still have a cough from the cold I had in early May.

Sally your vintage car ride sounds awesome!

Margaret, I'm pretty tired today, it is a workout. We have an inflatable board & our daughter has one of each. I tend to do better on the hard board. My core definitely gets a workout! I just ignore the foot, place it on the board & go. I'll never do yoga on it, I'd always be wet. I can do squats, but can't jump from knees to feet (that's when foot goes out).

Margaret, take care of yourself, you're the only you that we have! So sorry about your Mom, that's so hard to deal with.

To get back to our board [emoji849]. Laurie, I love all your dresses. I tend to wear a choker chain that has small diamonds all along the chain, so seldom think of necklaces. You have some lovely ones. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Laurie, I don't know if you've seen the Athleta ad. All swimwear is in sale & many, many earthy colors are quite discounted. I just ordered the twister tankini (bra sized [emoji6]) & two different swim shorts & spent less that $100. I know one of the shirts will go back, so it'll be about $70. I love the Kata swim shorts for paddleboarding & snorkeling. All their rash guards & coverups on sale too. Melody

Margaret, I'm sorry this has been such a rough time for you. I understand the feeling. It is important to carve out a little time for you, and take care of yourself both physically and mentally.

Melody, I'm heading over to take a look at Athleta now!

I have discovered that I view dresses as a blank canvas, in a way. I very much care about the style, fit and color, but I generally don't like anything busy. I look to make them standout with jewelry or other accessories. It's really fun for me. I think that is why it is hard for me to wear prints.

I really do love that necklace I pointed out with the teal dress. The dress was a steal, but to be able to add a necklace and sandals that I already have is great.

I do need to pick out one more dress. I like that I have variety and some great colors in there. And then there is three pair of sandals for the 6 dresses, which is nice. Whatever other dress I choose, it will need to go with one of the sandals.

And the nice thing is, the sandals that I'm bringing going with just about anything I have!

I found a pair of sandals that are really good for my foot. It doesn't bother me a lot, but I find being careful what I wear makes a huge difference. I loved the sandals so much, I set out to find a different version of them as well. Once again, the picture is on my phone so I will share it separately.

Melody,

Am I remembering correctly that you used to live in Japan? I'm researching Hakodate, Otaru, and (of course) Tokyo for my next trip. I don't want to have a typical Japanese experience, including eating with chopsticks and bathing with naked people and sleeping on the floor. We'll be staying at the Tokyo Hilton in a Western style room and I already know that I'll be eating at more expensive restaurants and hotels, mainly because of my soy allergy and that's what I've determined will keep me safe. I thought I'd just ask you for anything you would think is a "must see" for Japan. I'm a little worried about the whole ritual of putting on and taking off shoes to enter places, mainly because my husband has difficulty with his shoes unless he can find a place to sit and get that job done. We'll see.

Laurie,

I'm living in opposite world! I'm trying to figure out just how little I can take and get away with on this trip. I felt so good having limited choices on my Caribbean trip and I'm feeling the same about this one. My difficulty is that it's a cooler weather trip... who am I kidding? It's a downright COLD trip and I'm going to have to bundle. I'm still determined to only have one suitcase though. Lots of thought going into what to bring here, but in an opposite view. I do love seeing your thought process in putting your outfits together and they look so appropriately YOU. You look stylish and chic.

Margaret,

Hugs.

Just quick thoughts this morning. it's Friday! Even though I've been retired for years and years, there's just something about the precursor day to the weekend that still feels special.

Pam. We lived on the island of Okinawa (where the Japanese go to vacation [emoji23]). Tokyo is fascinating & they have become very used to Westerners needing a place to sit for shoes, there's benches everywhere. Slip on shoes would be easier as well (Rockports or Sketchers & they're very light, even for DHs size 12s. So many beautiful gardens. If you have time take the bullet train (an experience in itself) & get out of the city. Go to Mt Fuji, go to Hiroshima, go to Nagasaki, go to any of the shrines. What time of year are you going? Early fall is typhoon season & you don't want to be out in them, worse than a hurricane & last longer than a tornado. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally off subject, but have any of you tried Bai antioxidant infusion drinks? 2 servings per bottle, 5 calories per serving, 1 net carb per serving. Amazing taste. Pomegranate, mango & clementine are my favorites. Nice to have something other than water or iced tea! Melody

Pam , The most useful things I found from my recent three week trip were scarves . They really added punch to plain outfits for very little suitcase space . The other thing I could not have done without is black knit pants and JJill traveler tops .I also took two travel sizes of hairspray ,Etc. and just tossed them when they were empty.How long is your trip ?

Sally, I sure wish I had a thing for scarves. I just can't stand much around my neck, including heavy necklaces, turtleneck sweaters, etc. It's just a thing with me. However, I was thinking about maybe trying to find a longer scarf for warmth and potential comfort on the plane. I remember visiting Anita once when it was a bit cold-ish and the scarf she lent me felt kind of cozy and wonderful at the BACK of my neck. So maybe I could do a really large kind of loop in front and just have the back warmth, or something. But I can't entertain the idea of a scarf as a fashion accessory.

The length of the trip is 21 days.

A travel day to Vancouver. Leaving the house around 7:30am, arriving at our hotel destination about 1:30pm, so about a half day of sight seeing.

One full day in Vancouver, playing hungry tourists.

Embarkation day. We are crossing the International Dateline so even though the dates on the calendar indicate 16, we really only have 15 nights on board. We have a handful of ports: Dutch Harbor, Otaru, Hakodate, and then Tokyo (Yokohama). So the wardrobe really needs to be only two things: extremely comfortable sea day clothing (in my mind, it's a lot of relaxing, spa visiting, exercise, and wandering days). Ports are going to be a combination of cold, windy, possibly rainy.... and then Tokyo might be mildly warm. Rural areas (Dutch Harbor is rugged actually) and city walking.

We have an overnight on the ship in Tokyo. On embarkation day we will go into Tokyo and stay for two nights. By the time we get off the ship and get to our hotel and settle in, we'll have half a day for sight seeing. Then a full day of playing curious tourists. Then the flight home.

Flight home. I'm working on my mental self. We are leaving Narita Airport at 4:15pm and arriving in Seattle at 9:25am. No matter how I tried to plan the arrival, it was just proving to be a massive pain. So, I think that we're going to hope that we can buy our way into the Delta lounge at SEA and have the ability to shower, change, try to get some semblance of orientation back into our lives. My DH says that I should be saying the mantra "I'm a GREAT sleeper on planes!." Anyway, we have a Southwest flight home at 2:25pm. We will still be observing the not observing of Daylight Savings Time so there's no time change between us and Seattle. We arrive home at 5:20pm which will be on the same day we left as we're getting our day back from the International Date Line.

Here's my thoughts about my wardrobe.

On Sea Days, I'll look like I shop at Athleta.

On Port Days, I'll look like I shop at REI.

On City Sightseeing Days, I'll look like I shop at Chico's.

On Plane Travel Days, I'll look like.... a bag lady. (no offense to bag ladies). Geez, maybe I shouldn't say that. Wish I could look like Lisa Eldridge.

Here's an interesting factoid. I read that you lose 1/2 liter of water from your skin for every 6 hours on a plane. That's 2 cups of water! How is that even possible?!? If all the passengers on the plane did that (for reals) then wouldn't the plane become a sauna or a rain forest? Now, THAT would be amazing. I guess that's what they mean about the dehydration of the plane because they must have to compensate somehow with the interior systems in order to keep the dew point from making the baggage wet. Well, now that I've grossed myself out.....

Pam, for long flights I pack a small spray bottle & fill it with water when I get thru security. I spritz my face & hands about once an hour (old trick from old stew friends when I was at Pan Am). April is cherry blossom time in Japan, might be warmer than you think.

I use Cuddle Duds for layering, warm but very light & they double as pjs; I don't travel anywhere without them.

You should be able to buy the Lounge day as soon as you buy your ticket. Melody

Pam ,Here is what I can remember of my packing list . Our trip was 21 days with cool mornings and sunny afternoons . Very chilly on sea days .

2 pair yoga pants

3 workout top

1 rain jacket

1 sweater

1 pair of jeans

3 pair of black pants

3 pair of capris ( 2 would have been enough)

8 knit tops ( I never wore all 8 )

2 jjill traveler tops

2 knit dresses

bathing suit (never worn)

2pair of capri leggings

2 pair of pj's

underwear

jewelry

3 scarves

1 pair walking shoes (athletic looking )

1 pair black wedge shoes

2 pair sandals (only needed one )

2 camis ,umbrella

This is what I took . I did do laundry twice but I never felt that I was dressed incorrectly and I felt like I had plenty of choices .Pretty much everybody was dressed like this . It all fit in one medium size suitcase . My carry on had my jewelry , my meds and my cosmetic bag and my kindle .My carry on fits over the handle of my suitcase .

How did your last trip go with only one bag ?

Edited by Sailor_Sally

Actually, Melody, we're leaving in September for this next trip. I may have confused you because we're also going to be traveling to Japan in April next year. Long story. Pretty boring. Has to do with seeing the most amazing pricing on the TP cruise! Honestly, I've never had this situation before but I think I may have gotten onto one of those "mistake" pricing experiences. Did it through a Captain's Club reservationist, so was never worried that they wouldn't honor a website hiccup. Anyway, that was a left field diversion....

Does everyone remember Lisa Eldridge and her amazing makeup videos? Anyway, years ago she did a long haul flight survival kit video and I've been doing her tips ever since! She brings along very emollient face creams, hydration masks, lip balm, micellar water sprays. Yes! I'm THAT person sitting across the aisle from you. But I'll share everything... except my lip balm.

Sally. Amazing. Thank you! I will study but at first glance it takes me in exactly the direction I was seeking. Did you bring the swimsuit because you thought you'd swim but it was too cold? I'm back and forth about the swimsuit but I think I'd be mad at myself not to have one on board (maybe two?!?) because we are really such a load of sea days and we have access to the Persian Gardens on board Celebrity. Also, they have the thalassotherapy pool and that's just amazing. BUT, it will be COLD so I don't know. I remember crossing on Allure and it was just too cold to do anything but bundle up by the pool, but we did enjoy the spa amenities and I think that was wearing a bathing suit. Well, it had to be... because I remember screaming in the experiental shower when the cold water hit my back and the wind blew the curtain against my legs.... anyway.... being co-ed... I had to be wearing a bathing suit... I think.

One bag. The. Way. To. Go. My DH says that he's never carrying more than one bag, ever ever again. Exactly how I feel. It was so freeing in so many ways. Unpacking in the stateroom was a breeze. Finding where to put your items was a breeze. Packing again was a breeze, although somehow there seemed to be more and we didn't shop. How is that remotely possible?...

My biggest concern about this packing endeavor is the individual weight of each item. Exchanging the light weight summer swim dresses for a heavy pant, top, sweater, outer jacket, gloves, scarf... uh oh!...

Melody, what's not that cold to you, being acclimated to Colorado, is freezing to me, being acclimated to Arizona. When I'm in the 70's, I'm Goose Bump City and chattering teeth, cold hands and cold feet. ;p

I brought the swimsuit figuring i would be able to sit out by the pool but it was just too cold . I have been to Alaska in may when it was snowing and New England in the fall and never needed more than a rain jacket layered with a sweater if needed and I live in Florida..

Pam, DH says in Japan you should carry a picture postcard from your hotel in your pocket or purse. That way if you get lost or separated from your group, you can show it to any cab driver and get back to your hotel.

He used to travel to Tokyo at least twice a year. One of his coworkers was seriously kosher and he used to ship a case of tuna to the hotel so he would have something he could eat besides fruit and raw veggies.

I never travel without a swimsuit. Even in Antarctica we had an opportunity to visit a hot spring. You never know....

Laurie, I love the slides, but the sport sandal on the left offers more stability

Melody, That is why I made sure I got both. The ones on the left are great for walking in, and as you have stated, they provide stability. I tend to like to take my shoes off a lot during the summer, so they slides are great for day to day, running around the house type of things. They are off and on in a jiffy.

I find the concept of cruises and vacations other than what I have done to be so intriguing. By that I mean longer cruises, TAs, or trips to places such as Japan.

I think going to Boston for the weekend and the Pacific coastal cruise were more on par with the recent discussion. For example, I knew the trip from San Diego was going to involve cooler weather overall. There were no beaches involved. I brought along jeans, and they were worn more than once. I had two pair of cropped jeans as well. I wore a coral lightweight jacket, and also had a very lightweight (think heavier shirt) red jacket as well. I made sure things mixed and matched and that I could layer, so I brought along scarves too.

But I still did my dinner dresses!

Pam, I loved listen to you describe your days - sea days, I shop at Athleta, etc. Our packing styles are complete opposites, I think!

I will say though that I make much lighter choices these days. Part of that came from the desire to make the luggage lighter. Park of it is from not feeling the need to wear so much fabric. A few of my formal night dresses I used to wear were very heavy - both the outer fabric and the lining, and there was really just more fabric. For my first two cruises, I think I brought almost all capris or flood length pants. Now I bring shorts, many which are Travex or similar. (that's a lightweight, quick drying sports fabric) I feel I've achieved simplicity through understanding my style better (Carol Tuttle) and through color choices (thanks to Curt and all of you!) so things mix and match better.

It's amazing to think about our journeys. I think we all can say that we've been making changes over the years.

This may seem like I'm diving in another direction here, but my husband and I have talked a lot about what we wear to the gym. There are times when we go independently, but most of the time, we go to the gym together. We are able to motivate each other, and keep each other accountable.

He fully understands that I like to wear the "right" colors. And finding things in earth colors is a rarity. My viewpoint on that is to avoid black and white. But I wear just about everything else. Once I got myself past the idea of wearing "wrong" colors, it was easier for me to focus. I almost had to come up with a special mindset for this. Margaret, you will understand when I describe it as wearing a uniform. And it is okay for my gym uniform to consist of gray, navy, etc.

My husband is really good at seeking out things that he feels will work for my gym uniform. The majority of what I wear is from Target. The carry C9 by Champion, and it's great. The pricing is great and I love the quality. I've only replaced things because they've gotten big, not because the fabric wasn't good or they wore out.

My other clothes come from different places. Shorts, skorts and basic knit shirts are usually from Eddie Bauer. Most of my jeans are from Loft. I wait for a good sale because they fit so good, I don't want to have to go somewhere else due to cost.

Dresses come from all over!

I'm rambling a bit, I know. Sally, you get quite a bit from JJill, Melody, you like Kohls...it's fun to see where we all shop.

Oh, and I always bring along a swimsuit and cover up. They take up little space in the suitcase, and you have it if you want it. Cruises usually mean a few, but even for Boston, I have a go to one piece with a matching cover up from Athleta in saffron red that I took, just in case.

Speaking of Athleta, that is where all my bathing suits are from these days. I hate the prices, so I wait for sales. The quality is great though, and I can buy bra sized tankini tops to get a good fit.

Pam, August-October is typhoon season so its normally pretty warm & humid. Not quite as bad in Japan proper. I wouldn't think as cold as your TA. Definitely bring a swimsuit! They don't take up much room.

I get most of my clothes from Athleta , Penneys & Kohl's (activewear); Chicos (dressy & I love their slubbed linen drop hem shirts & jeans), some JJill (wearever line). Laurie did you catch the swimwear sale at Athleta?

I've probably mentioned Our middle daughter is going to St Thomas on a land vacation the end of this month, her SO is taking her & our 9yr old grand girl (Lexy) with his brother & his family. (Lexy has been packed for 6 weeks [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]). Most of their time will be on a catamaran cruising around or in a large rental with pool & stairs to the beach. So they're bringing multiple swimsuits & rash guards. Karin is taking her backpack, cross body purse & wearing sunglasses, a floppy hat & sweater, long sleeved shirt, Capri jeans & sneakers. One sundress, one pair Chaco sandals & one pair Reef sandals, 5 bathing suits, 2 rash guard (1 long sleeved, 1 sleeveless), 10 tubes of sunscreen (fit into 311 bag), 1 tube shampoo/conditioner, tiny makeup bag, 3 tops & 2 pairs of shorts & a ball cap, an underwater camera & mini iPad . Lexy has about the same, but she has 3 sundresses, her stuff is in her little tug around suitcase (20"). No bags checked. Corby has his backpack & a duffle bag with the snorkel gear. They're both so excited! Melody

Quick Question, Melody.

I thought that lounge access had to be purchased on a first come, first served capacity controlled gamble at the door on arrival. How can I purchase in advance?

I know that certain ticket classes get access as part of their ticket, but from what I'm reading in SEA it's only for departures? Makes no sense to me. The people who desperately need a shower are the arrivals people, right? Anyway, makes no difference as we don't hold one of those lofty beautiful tickets.

I've searched the Delta site and the only way I could buy entry into the lounge is if I purchased an annual lounge pass. Very pricey and I wouldn't really use it within the next year. Let's all get a good laugh. I tried searching Southwest Airlines for lounge access but couldn't find the link! (No, I really didn't.)

So, please let me know how I can buy lounge access in advance. Thanks.

Melody , Wow! That is packing light . I don't think I could ever go that light . There were a few people on our TA who were doing 3 weeks in Europe following the TA and some of them just had a small carry on as their total luggage .I ran into around the ship and they were always dressed nicely .

I know there is no way I could pack as lightly as Melody's daughter, so I won't go there. :D Kudos to her for being able to do that! It is amazing to me.

Well, you've heard the expression "snooze, you lose". I waited too long with Athleta. I need either a tankini or one piece, and as to what they had in earthy colors, it was mostly the luxe collection. I have wanted this stuff in the worst way, but with the tops fitting in A to C cup, it won't work. With the bra sized items, I have a tankini in new coral so I wanted something different. The only earth color was sunset glow, and I put it in my shopping bag.

I waited a day. It's out of stock! If I want to try the brighter aqua, I think they have stuff in my size. I contemplated, because of the free shipping and returns, to order the luxe tankini I like, along with the aqua. I can send them back if they aren't right. you know? I was trying to wait a week, because I just replaced a few gym clothes yesterday, and I *might* be getting a bonus this week from work.

So I'll have to decide what I want to do here. Bummer! Another thing on the luxe collection tankinis. They have very limited bottoms. The have a color called summer opal, I believe, and it's a nice green shade. The only bottoms are ebb tide, which is way too low for me. With terra cotta soldier (love this color) they have a bottom that is better, but it's still fairly low. Plus this particular top looks like it won't accommodate my DD cup, no matter what. :rolleyes:

Margaret, I shop JC Penney, Macy and Lord and Taylor (online) for dresses. JC Penney is more for the cruise dinner dresses that are also worn to various functions. I can get great dresses at great prices from them, and they are always having a sale and/or coupon to use.

Macy's and Lord and Taylor are very hit or miss. I can't say I ever find anything in their stores at the mall, but the set up can make it hard to shop, and the stores carry a tremendous amount of black. When I go online, I choose one color at a time and look to see what they have. It makes it less overwhelming. I have to have clearance and/or coupons with their pricing.

My tango dress is Calvin Klein, I believe. It was on sale, but too much money. Then I waited until it was on sale again, and there was a coupon that I could combine with the sales price. I love that dress.

If anyone sees any earthy swimsuits anywhere, let out a holler! Tankinis are my favorite, but I like one pieces as well, if I can get them to fit. I saw a swimsuit in Target yesterday, but the cups looked sooooo tiny. Lol. I should have tried it on, it was 20% off with Cartwheel and that sale might be over now, I'd have to check. I think I didn't try because I was focused on a few at Athleta instead.

I should check for some swimshorts and rashguards though. If they have good colors.

Pam, I know you can get Lounge access with the Delta credit card (I've done it). It might be worth it to get it (first year is no annual fee) & cancel if you don't like/need it. You'd have to keep it open till after your trip

Laurie, I'm sorry you missed the sale [emoji22]. They'll get them back in stock, leave it in your shopping cart & keep checking. I wear the Kata swim shorts with my tankini tops. We do so much active (paddleboarding & snorkeling) that I like the extra coverage. The rashguards are wonderful, I find myself wearing them as tops. Melody

I know I couldn't pack as lightly as they are, space is very limited on the catamaran & they don't want to check anything