safety reminder

Budget Queen

there is a post on tripadvisor about safety of possessions on the ferry. I found it overall an alarming question.

In my opinion- ALWAYS - you should guard your valuables and get habits of travel that will always protect you. Not slack off because of a location.

I too often see poor choices made on cruise ships, people leaving purses, cameras etc thinking somehow, theft doesn't occur. Well it certainly does.

Anyway- this is my recent experience in Alaska. My nephew was lucky I was there. Copied from my post on Tripadvisor I don't want to hear of this happening to anyone. It can really ruin a trip.

A recent example- I was on a Kenai fjords boat tour. My nephew had gone out looking at wildlife and left his phone on the table. I was seated on the other end so it might not have looked like I was not with him. A woman walked by who caught my eye, since we were in middle seats she was spending too much time in the area I thought. Yep- she picked up my nephew's phone and starter walking. I stepped in front of her and asked her what she was doing? She said she thought the phone was her husband's. She was seated upstairs. No way could it be mistaken with a big RED case either. She smiles and put it down, she was too smooth.

Well sure enough- an announcement comes over the speakers- to be on the look out for a missing phone. It happened to be 2 tables over. and a last call announcement at the end of the trip. Unfortunately, I'll guess, it likely was picked up by this woman but have no proof. It was not recovered.

there is a post on tripadvisor about safety of possessions on the ferry. I found it overall an alarming question.

In my opinion- ALWAYS - you should guard your valuables and get habits of travel that will always protect you. Not slack off because of a location.

I too often see poor choices made on cruise ships, people leaving purses, cameras etc thinking somehow, theft doesn't occur. Well it certainly does.

Anyway- this is my recent experience in Alaska. My nephew was lucky I was there. Copied from my post on Tripadvisor I don't want to hear of this happening to anyone. It can really ruin a trip.

A recent example- I was on a Kenai fjords boat tour. My nephew had gone out looking at wildlife and left his phone on the table. I was seated on the other end so it might not have looked like I was not with him. A woman walked by who caught my eye, since we were in middle seats she was spending too much time in the area I thought. Yep- she picked up my nephew's phone and starter walking. I stepped in front of her and asked her what she was doing? She said she thought the phone was her husband's. She was seated upstairs. No way could it be mistaken with a big RED case either. She smiles and put it down, she was too smooth.

Well sure enough- an announcement comes over the speakers- to be on the look out for a missing phone. It happened to be 2 tables over. and a last call announcement at the end of the trip. Unfortunately, I'll guess, it likely was picked up by this woman but have no proof. It was not recovered.

I am sorry you had this experience, it is very important for everyone to always be mindful of their surroundings and never ever leave your personal belongings and valuables out of your sight, it's scary how things happen in one split second and can put a damper on your entire trip

Where there are tourists there will always be an attraction for people who prey on them. Always easy to be a target when even if they are caught pursuing charges or even just recovery of stolen items can cause missing a sailing or flight.

I also appreciate this excellent warning. I would also suggest that one be very aware of one's surroundings when sightseeing in new locales. It's easy to wander into areas where it could be less tourist-friendly than other areas.

People often ask how safe the cruise ports are - the answer is "only as safe as your fellow cruisers" as the vast majority of people in many of the cruise ports are cruisers on any cruise day.

It is a good reminder as I also have left my backpack at my seat and gone outside. It is sad that one can't do this safely anymore.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were going to post about the two bizarre bear killings this past week. That is something else to watch out for no matter how much of a freak occurrence they were.

I think part of the reason everyone is so slack about guarding their stuff in Alaska is because it is so comfortable. Not Rome where pickpockets are rampant and everyone warns you about safety. Not Rome where it is so different from home. Let's face it. Alaska is the good old US of A. It is small time USA so people think The Beaver would never take their stuff.

Your warning comes at a good time for all the cruisers and visitors heading "North to Alaska go north the rush is on". Sorry, that song just jumps into my head when I think Alaska :D.