Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

This new thread is for Solo Cruisers to tell people about the next cruise they are planning and for other Solo Cruisers to refer to if they want to know if there will be other Solo passengers on a particular cruise that he or she is planning to book. Please follow the same format so that the posts on this thread will be easy to follow. The name of the ship and date should appear in the Title and then you can write your message in the body of the post. Please be sure to join in and periodically check the "Roll Call" for that Cruise Sailing, as well. Any conversations with other Cruise Critic members are better done on the Roll Call thread rather that this thread since this thread will likely cover several different cruises. Let's see how this works........

Hi ! My name is Lorne. I am a "late-50's" married man from Toronto. My wife does not like to cruise and I love it (opposites attract, they say) so I have been on 7 cruises since 2007 on my own. I have now become used to Solo Cruising and started to like it. I enjoy meeting new people who also share my passion for cruise vacations. I did this same itinerary last year on Carnival Miracle and had a great time. For me it's not the itinerary that matters as much as just being on a cruise ship and I am really looking forward to being on the Splendor. Anyone thinking of joining us (the ship holds 3000) on January 4th?

Hey there!

I'm Deanna (pronounced 'deena') and I'll be sailing solo on the Norwegian Epic at the end of January 2014. I'll be in one of the studios and I can't wait! I was in a studio in November 2012 and loved it so much that I'm doing it a second time.

We already have a few solos posting on our roll call thread, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post here, too, and see if maybe there are others out there who just haven't posted in the other roll call yet. Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

Hi, I'm Kathi.

I am taking my first solo cruise next year. It is the fulfillment of a promise I made myself in 1996. While on a cruise, I said I wanted to sail around the world when I retired. I have now been retired a year and my cruise is 6 months away. We have a very active roll call and have a number of solo cruisers.

Hi, everyone. My name is Lisa, and I live in North Mississippi, near Memphis, Tennessee. I am in my early 50s (the new 40s!) single, and LOVE cruising but have trouble finding someone to go with me, so I decided to meet new friends that like to cruise and eliminate that problem. :)

In 2009 I went on two cruises with small groups of friends and fell in love with it. Recently I made a decision to take two cruises per year as my vacation; I'm bad about not taking enough R&R.

I am signed up through a singles group for the RCCL Oasis of the Seas for the Halloween cruise. I also plan to go on the Carnival Sunshine over New Year's but haven't booked that one yet.

Edited by MsGal

It is the fulfillment of a promise I made myself in 1996. While on a cruise, I said I wanted to sail around the world when I retired. I have now been retired a year and my cruise is 6 months away.

Hi, Kathi. So great that you are fulfilling your promise to yourself!

Hello all. My name is Kevin and I'm from Southern California. Had my 40th bday this year in the Bahamas while on my first solo cruise on the Epic. It was the best birthday and vacation I've ever had. I always thought, "I cant' go by myself on a cruise". I'm so glad I realized how wrong I was. My last two were solo and the next four are solo:

30 Aug 13 - Rhapsody of the Seas, 7 days to Alaska

20 Oct 13 - Norwegian Epic, 13 day Trans-Atlantic

21 Apr 14 - Sapphire Princess, 3 days to Mexico

08 May 14 - Sapphire Princess, 3 more days to Mexico

Still looking and planning the 41st bday cruise for next March. Most likely will be somewhere in the Caribbean and solo as well.

My 4th solo cruise. I'm a little nervous about the Freestyle dining, which is a first for me. Hopefully I'll get to meet other solo's at the lounge to have dinner with.

I also have 4 other cruises booked through April 2015.

NCL Dawn - April 6, 2014

Explorer - September 20th & 25th 2014

Quantum - April 24, 2015

I try to plan one fall and one spring cruise, and try to cruise out of NY/NJ to avoid having to deal with airports.

Hello!

My name's Deon and my next solo adventure is in the next several weeks, thank goodness!

This will be my third solo cruise, and I have 3 more planned through April 2015 ... Hi Gayle! :D LOL I'm actually looking at that Sept 20th sailing as well for next year.

This will be my first cruise doing MTD and I actually plan to only eat there once as a couple from my roll call invited me to dine with them. I'm looking forward to doing my own thing for dinner the other evenings and will also be visiting Chops for one evening.

I don't know of any solos on my cruise as of yet, but that's okay. I plan to have a great time regardless and have already interacted with some wonderful people through my roll call.

Hi! I did my first solo last year and loved it! It was also my first 14-day repositioning cruise. Met alot of people that have become friends. We had so much fun, that 70 of us have booked another 14-day repo cruise for 2014. They are more relaxing because you have more sea days between ports. There are less kids on board also. I think I counted about 12 that were sailing with their parents. I don't think I can go back to a 7 or 10 day cruise again! Ted

Hi I am Anthea

Originally from UK but have spent most of my life living here in Sunny,sometimes!!!! Gibraltar.

I am going solo to the beautiful Norwegian Fjords Mat 3rd. 2014 on P&O Azura.I have been there six times already!!!!!!:)

Kim from California here. I am doing the 11/3 Rome to Barcelona and then the 11/10 TA on RCCL Navigator solo. There are actually quite a few solos on this one and wonderful solo pricing as well. Not sure what I am going to do next but I think it will be one of the NCL ships with studio cabins.

Hi everyone, I'm Kyle from NY, cruise fanatic since 2012. :) Nice post 42CruiseCrazy.

Sept 8, 2013 New York > Bermuda - Norwegian Breakaway

Dec 14, 2013 New York > E. Caribbean, - Norwegian Gem

Feb 23, 2014 New Orleans > W. Caribbean - Norwegian Jewel (followed by Mardi Gras on land)

Sept 21, 2014 New York > Bermuda - Norwegian Breakaway

Nov 2014 Either Royal Quantum of the Seas Maiden Transatlantic or Norwegian Dawn Boston/NOLA Repo. Royal will decide for me if their inflated price doesn't drop. Although Escargo's post is making me lean toward the Dawn Repo. :)

Edited by kylenyc

early 50s (the new 40s!)

Excellent news, since I'm turning 41 this year :D

I'm Caroline, and I haven't cruised solo yet, but I have designs on trying the Epic's studios sometime next year. This coming December I'm cruising with my parents for my father's birthday, and a girlfriend and I are planning a cruise for spring sometime (though she won't commit to a date and pretty soon I'm just going to book without her and go alone.)

Right now I live in Knoxville, but for a variety of reasons, most of them health-related, I'm working on moving back to the Florida coast soon. The bonus, of course, is all those cruise ports within driving distance. Once I'm back there permanently I hope to cruise by myself at least once a year. We'll see; my folks live near Port Canaveral and like to invite themselves along.

Hi everyone, I'm Kyle from NY, cruise fanatic since 2012. :) Nice post 42CruiseCrazy.

Sept 8, 2013 New York > Bermuda - Norwegian Breakaway

Dec 14, 2013 New York > E. Caribbean, - Norwegian Gem

Feb 23, 2014 New Orleans > W. Caribbean - Norwegian Jewel (followed by Mardi Gras on land)

Sept 21, 2014 New York > Bermuda - Norwegian Breakaway

Nov 2014 Either Royal Quantum of the Seas Maiden Transatlantic or Norwegian Dawn Boston/NOLA Repo. Royal will decide for me if their inflated price doesn't drop. Although Escargo's post is making me lean toward the Dawn Repo. :)

Kyle, You won't regret booking the Boston to NOLA repo cruise! Wait for their free upgrade sale. I got a balcony for the price of an OV! $1,800.00 total with port charges , taxes, and insurance! Ted

Hi, I'm Gordon from Washington, DC. I did this same TA with a friend last year, loved it so much that I booked it again this year when RCI ran a fantastic special on solo balcony cabins earlier in the summer. Yes, a solo CAN afford a balcony if it's the right cruise. For example, this ship did not sail full last year and probably won't again this year - it's a 14-day trip, and lots of us just can't take that much time from work, especially families with kids in school, they're out of luck for this trip.

This will be my 5th solo cruise. I love them - meet lots of wonderful people and never have to answer to anyone else's schedule, etc. I also enjoy sailing with a companion, am in fact a little unsure about 16 days of traveling by myself (2 days in Barcelona before the cruise) but have done so before by car and am looking forward to much relaxing, reading, and pampering. I live alone too, so having someone to do all of the things I usually have to do myself is pretty cool!

See you @ sea!

• Like 1

I'm so thrilled. The promenade photos are great. Thank you for posting them Carol:)

Hopefully you'll love the Promenade cabins...I sure do! I stay in them often as I can seldom afford a solo balcony. They feel roomier to me and the window seat is great to sit and watch the goings on down on the Promenade. Just don't forget to close the curtins when dressing/showering :eek:

Teresa

• Like 1