South America weather

Bocagirl1

Hi looking at going on Crown Princess in January 2017 but concerned how cold it is in Falkland Islands, Ushaia and cruising round Cape Horn. Anyone got any experience of this? Thanks :)

Did this cruise last December and January, temps in the extreme south were cold, but not freezing. Lots of cloudy, cool, damp weather, not unlike southeast Alaska in the summer.

You should plan on that area being on the cooler side and what makes it seem even colder is the wind chill. Similar to Alaska, the key is to layer and to bring with you waterproof pants, long johns, waterproof jacket, fleece and/or sweater, hat, and scarf.

I have been to these places several times and the weather has not always been the same. Could be sunny and even warmer than normal or chilly or rainy or even a little snow.

Keith

You can experience all kinds of weather in this part of the world.

Last Christmas Day, we were in Ushuaia and enjoyed a sunny day, temps around mid 50s F. Lots of locals were camping. We needed only a light jacket.

We experienced strong winds and sleet, while cruising around the Horn.

It was also windy and raining for part of the day while in the Falklands, but we loved our tour. As long as you are prepared to bring warm, waterproof clothing, along with waterproof shoes, you should be OK. Also, if you're doing a tour to the Penguin Colony at Volunteer Point, it's a good idea to bring something you can slip over your shoes, to avoid all the "droppings". The couple who organized our tour brought along a supply of those blue booties worn in hospitals. May not look pretty, but it worked!

Hi looking at going on Crown Princess in January 2017 but concerned how cold it is in Falkland Islands, Ushaia and cruising round Cape Horn. Anyone got any experience of this? Thanks :)

We are booked on this itinerary in Feb 2017 from Valparaiso to Ft. Lauderdale. It will be our second time around Cape Horn. The first time the seas were calm, sky was sunny, but the weather chilly. Hope the next time will be the same, but you never know. Ships sometimes are not able to call at the Falklands due to rough seas. Bring layered clothing. We had long pants, long sleeve silk undershirt, long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, wind breaker/rain jacket., cap, and thin gloves. You will also require tropical clothing at the start as well as in B.A.

It is a great itinerary and a different experience then a Caribbean or West Coast cruise.

Edited by sknight

It can be very cold. Punta Arenas, Chile in January was the coldest I've ever been on a cruise (with Hobart, Tasmania a close second). Luckily I was on a Celebrity ship and they had hot chocolate for us while we were waiting to board the tender because we were painfully cold.

Again as I mentioned earlier the key is to bring clothes you can layer.

I have been to each port several times and you just never know. But that is true of weather in most places.

For example, I have been to Punta Arenas when it was very cold because of the wind chill, have been there were it was moderately cold and was there where it was far from cold and while we needed a jacket it was a sunny day. You just don't know.

It is an amazing experience and I highly recommend this cruise.

Keith

While we were not on a Princess ship we did a similar trip this past February, with port calls also in the Falkland Islands, Ushuaia and then around the horn. Due to the dampness it can feel rather chilly, but not unlike Southeast Alaska or Iceland. Layers are the key.

• 1 year later...

I would recommend a waterproof jacket definitely. I had a waterproof jacket with a removable lining (which could be worn on its own as well) which really came in handy. I also agree with everyone who suggested packing and dressing in layers is key! I think if you bring the proper layers, you won't need a heavy parka. You will especially appreciate not bringing the down jacket when you are in Santiago and Buenos Aires (hot!!)! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The weather can be extremely variable. We travelled the first two weeks of Feb. Weather was reasonable to very good. Cool at times. Little rain. This was a challenge for us since we only travel with carry on and did not want to waste space on items that we would only wear once or twice for a few hours. Plus we were spending another six weeks in very warm weather in Central America and did not want to drag along our winter clothing. We each had a light cotton sweater. Plus a windproof waterproof coat with a thin lining. We did not bother with gloves but did bring our ear bands. Jeans were perfect.

There was only one day that we found it cold. Going through the Beagle Channel the wind was sharp. Fortunately when we were on deck we stood behind a wind block so it was quite comfortable.

The cruise before us, last two weeks of Jan, apparently had poor weather. So much so that the ship missed Falklands and one other port because the seas we too high to launch the tenders safely.

Bottom line...expect anything. We were lucky.

We too missed the Faulklands and another two ports because of weather. We found it very chilly and windy. We just layered our clothes and were comfortable. We are going in January/February 60 days. Hopefully we will be able to make he Faulklands this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...