Plus Size Swim Suits

july2012

Can you please list where you have gotten yours and about how much I should expect to pay for a good plus size swimsuit?

I have gotten some from Target & Khols but they do not seem to hold me in as much as I want.

I'm looking at a couple from Torrids. If someone has purchased from Torrid, can you let me know if the quality of the suit is worth it.

I'm looking to mostly look good in my suit, not too much swimming just playing in water.

I do have 1 good swimsuit from Kohl's to use for swimming at home, but it does not hold me in as much as I would like and not sure how it would hold up to salt water?

My sister just bought 2 from Lane Bryant. I went shopping with her and I must say they were very flattering. Made very well and think they will last. She paid about 175.00 for both that was after a coupon with 75.00 off I belive.

Thanks

After posting this, I also saw a another post about plus size suits.

Lane Bryant, if they fit my bottom usually don't have enough to fill out the tops. Even with the 2 pieces, the tops have more room then I can fill out, if I get a too small top, then its too tight on my stomach.

And I'm losing weight, so no telling what size I will be in June, but suits are selling out fast, so I need to get something that fits now but will also look good 30lbs smaller...

Yeah I'm asking for a lot out of a swimsuit. Or I may buy size fits now and 1 size smaller,,,and just return one of them before the return deadline.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 4 bathing suits from Torrid and I LOVE them!! I have a one piece and the others are 2-pieces. I find they fit very well and offer lots of support. The one piece really holds me in around the tummy and the quality is definitely worth the price to me. They cover all the spots they need to, but I still feel sexy when I wear them. :)

I have a couple bathing suits from Lane Bryant as well and I know exactly what you mean. They are really good quality, but it is sometimes hard to find suits that fit everywhere.

I ended up buying a swim suit from Torrids- one piece- used coupons during a sale and ended up paying 1/2 price for the suit.

Also got a Tankini and swim suit short bottoms from Lane Bryant- also used real woman dollars and rewards cash during a sale, paid like $35 total.

I'm nervous about buying online from a store I would need to ship the return back if needed.

Got 2 swimsuits ordered from Wal-Mart to check how they fit and or if I like them.

Anyone gotten suits from Wal-Mart? Do they fit well, hold in stomach, not end up see-thru when wet (I had this one happen before). They are both cute suits online, hope they look as good in person and fit well.

The suits for Torrids offer tons of support, really hold you in. But they are a lil costly if you have to pay full price.

I want 3 suits at least for 7 days cruise, but can manage with 2.

DD has purchased suits from Torrid. Fit really well. She looked better than the 'skinny young things' she hangs out with :p. She returned them to her local store with no issue at all. They also launder nicely. We cold wash and air dry.

• 2 weeks later...

Also very happy with swimsuitsforall. Very easy return policy, but if you really use their size chart you won't have to return. I do water aerobics 4 times a week & got grumpy lots of suits. These run me $22-30 & fit well

DD has purchased suits from Torrid. Fit really well. She looked better than the 'skinny young things' she hangs out with :p. She returned them to her local store with no issue at all. They also launder nicely. We cold wash and air dry.

+1 for Torrid - bought one over the week-end.

You will get what you pay for, unfortunately.

I agree with the recommendations for Swimsuitsforall.com. I also highly recommend Alwaysforme.com, and as mentioned Lands end. These are going to be good quality. Check the sales, and look for online coupon codes.

I've found SwimSuitsforAll's quality lacking on the cover-ups. They run small and are incredibly thin. The swimsuit quality seems to be relatively good though.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to good suits. One site I've used for probably 15 years now is http://www.customswimwear.com/.

They make custom swimsuits. They aren't cheap but they last a long time. They can fit just about any size and shape. They'll call you and work with you on sizing. For example, the bikini top I like is just about 1" too tight in the normal ribcage size, so I had them add an extra inch when they made it. I've referred other people to them over the years and everyone has been really happy.

So I exchanged the walmart swimsuit for another walmart swimsuit, It does not hold me in as well as the Torrid and LB suits, but it is skirted and retro red and mini white polka dots, so I hope it holds up well on the cruise and is not see thru when wet. I may just wet it with tags still attached and test it out, if see thru back it will be going.

How many suits are you ladies taking for your cruise and how many days?

Im taking 3 suits for a 7 day cruise, plan to switch up every other day and will hand wash suit and hang to dry in cabin...

My friends are taking like 4-5 suits.

So I exchanged the walmart swimsuit for another walmart swimsuit, It does not hold me in as well as the Torrid and LB suits, but it is skirted and retro red and mini white polka dots, so I hope it holds up well on the cruise and is not see thru when wet. I may just wet it with tags still attached and test it out, if see thru back it will be going.

How many suits are you ladies taking for your cruise and how many days?

Im taking 3 suits for a 7 day cruise, plan to switch up every other day and will hand wash suit and hang to dry in cabin...

My friends are taking like 4-5 suits.

Me too - 3 suits. Remember to bring an empty Ziploc bag to put your damp suits in when you're packing for home. ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I bought the greatest swim skirt at Catherine's clothing store that you can wear with any tankini top. The skirt is black, a decent length (not too short, like many of them), and has a cute bottom margin that has cutouts. Looks good and doesn't rise up all the time in the water, like some other swim skirts. For the tankini top, you can buy one at Avenue, Catherine's, or Lane Bryant. Torrid has some more up-to-date ones, that are a bit more funky.

I just got a great plus size swimsuit from qvc.com. it's a tankini top and swim shorts bottoms. The style and fit are perfect. One nice thing in the top is the elastic under the bra cups goes all around the top, not just across the front. That gives better support. Most of QVC's swim styles are made that way. Prices range from $60-$80.

Vicki

Forever 21 online has decent plus size bathing suits and so does Ashley Stewart online. I got a 2 piece bikini set from Forever 21 in 2x and I love it, wore it my last cruise. They also had one piece bathing suits too.

• 1 month later...