Link to report of trip across the Pacific on CMA Libra

It's one of the best articles on modern freighter travel I have read,and good photos as well.

The author does not like to fly because of jetlag. You do get tired of advancing clocks on fast eastbound ships, but regarding them an hour every other day on a westbound crossing is great.

It's one of the best articles on modern freighter travel I have read,and good photos as well.

The author does not like to fly because of jetlag. You do get tired of advancing clocks on fast eastbound ships, but regarding them an hour every other day on a westbound crossing is great.

Jet lag doesn't have to be that bad but for me, its worse because my airline of choice eastbound (to Europe) dumps me there around midnight in the time zone I left, and there isn't much time to sleep at my normal bedtime.

As far as the freighter goes, it wouldn't be that bad if the clock was adjusted every other day, and if dinner wasn't so early. Pretty much like eating at 5pm every day when one just had lunch at noon! I do realise the time changes are more for the convenience of the crew than the passengers (seemingly hardly any eastbound). Wonder how the time changes are handled westbound.

Jet lag doesn't have to be that bad but for me, its worse because my airline of choice eastbound (to Europe) dumps me there around midnight in the time zone I left, and there isn't much time to sleep at my normal bedtime.

As far as the freighter goes, it wouldn't be that bad if the clock was adjusted every other day, and if dinner wasn't so early. Pretty much like eating at 5pm every day when one just had lunch at noon! I do realise the time changes are more for the convenience of the crew than the passengers (seemingly hardly any eastbound). Wonder how the time changes are handled westbound.

It used to be that clock changes were done on the 20-24, 00-04, and 04-08 watches at night, twenty minutes each watch, east or westbound. Nowadays, eastbound tends to be one hour lump in the afternoon so the crew gets to work an hour less for the same pay, and westbound its done at night, so the crew gets an hour extra sleep.