Scenic Eclipse vs Regent Explorer

towel-animal

Searched the boards and there's only a small handful of threads about the upcoming Scenic Eclipse for 2018.

My mother and I had a cruise booked on Regent Explorer this past October but had to cancel 2 days prior due to a medical emergency. None of the 2017 itineraries had the same feeling of "magic" to us as the one we'd been booked on, so we're awaiting the release of 2018 deployment.

For the longest time, I've only had eyes for Explorer. However, after studying up on Eclipse, I can't help but be torn. From the renderings, it does look like it will be quite incredible. And taking into account the only Eclipse itinerary we're interested in through 2019 only has one suite still available, it's making the decision difficult — go ahead and book the Eclipse? Or wait for Explorer deployment and risk losing the Eclipse sailing?

My gut is telling me to go with the Eclipse. But my head is reminding me how long I'd eagerly anticipated the Explorer.

Just curious what some opinions are here. Do you think the Eclipse will truly be the luxury cruising game changer they claim it will?

Edited by towel-animal

Just looked up the Scenic Eclipse. A rather confusing website but I think I got the gist of what it is going to be which is absolutely lovely but completely different than Regent (Zodiaks, E--bikes and Kayaks.) It is also much smaller than the Explorer.

The Explorer will not be going to the same areas that the Eclipse will be sailing in so the choice is more about the type of ship that you are more interested in as well as the ports that you would like to visit.

Do you know what the cancellation policy is if you book the Eclipse and cancel in 10 days (if you decide to book the Explorer when the itineraries come out on January 25th?)

It does sound that eventually you would like to experience both ships. So, decide with your heart rather than your head on this one.:)

Go for the Eclipse. I know Scenic very well and they do a superb job with river cruises and are expected too do the same with the Eclipse. The itineraries are much more interesting and personally, I love the idea of a 200 passenger ship, There's nothing like it.

Go for the Eclipse. I know Scenic very well and they do a superb job with river cruises and are expected too do the same with the Eclipse. The itineraries are much more interesting and personally, I love the idea of a 200 passenger ship, There's nothing like it.

Well, decision made. Tomorrow we're putting our (nonrefundable) deposit on the Scenic Eclipse, Eastern Mediterranean Treasures sailing in September 2018. Hoping to goodness we'll be happy with our choice and will try my best to have the willpower not to even look at Explorer's 2018 sailings :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Eclipse looks lovely, but I really like bathtubs to soak my post-excursion muscles in (privately, not in a communal hot tub) when I ocean cruise. They are not provided in any of the base priced suites, you have to go up to the next price level, which would be thousands of dollars more for a two-week cruise just to bubble-bathe.

That and the harsh non-refundable deposit policy has deterred me from booking with them to sample the product , and initially it also seemed Australian customers got earlier alerts on pricing and sales availability which I worry will also extend to excursion preference booking. Though it could be fun to be on a ship with predominantly Australians, always a joy to meet on cruises!

• 3 months later...

We are booked on an Antartic cruise on the Eclipse - I am not sure how much extra it cost but with the non refundable deposits there is an option to purchase a no questions asked (up until final payment) option to have your deposit fully refundable - only discovered that yesterday when talking to someone from Scenic - she advised that my TA had already included that option for us.

Searched the boards and there's only a small handful of threads about the upcoming Scenic Eclipse for 2018.

My mother and I had a cruise booked on Regent Explorer this past October but had to cancel 2 days prior due to a medical emergency. None of the 2017 itineraries had the same feeling of "magic" to us as the one we'd been booked on, so we're awaiting the release of 2018 deployment.

For the longest time, I've only had eyes for Explorer. However, after studying up on Eclipse, I can't help but be torn. From the renderings, it does look like it will be quite incredible. And taking into account the only Eclipse itinerary we're interested in through 2019 only has one suite still available, it's making the decision difficult — go ahead and book the Eclipse? Or wait for Explorer deployment and risk losing the Eclipse sailing?

My gut is telling me to go with the Eclipse. But my head is reminding me how long I'd eagerly anticipated the Explorer.

Just curious what some opinions are here. Do you think the Eclipse will truly be the luxury cruising game changer they claim it will?

I just booked the Scenic Eclipse for Nov. 16, 2018. Having been on Regent I just wanted to compare cruise lines.

If your itinerary consist of Arctic or Antarctica it's a no brainier. Eclipse would be my choice because this mega yacht was built for the Arctic and Antarctica. This ship is built with two hulls. This ship also has on board two helicopters and a submarine along with 12 zodiacs and kayaks.

Until someone has cruised on both cruise lines, a comparison is obviously not possible, However, it seems as if the two ships do totally different itineraries. In terms of a non-refundable deposit, Regent does not have such a rule. While you will pay a $100/person cancellation fee, you will re-coop the money if you book another cruise - as long as it is not within the penalty phase.