Just back from celebration..

Also just back - great cruise - love Celebration weather not too hot and some days windy but everywhere on land was absolutely spotless no litter anywhere - not like Egypt - although most places still expanding so plenty of building works going on in the large cities Thoroughly recommend

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

Last one looks to have been summer 2016 but for a ship hated so much why 5 cruises on her🚢🚢🚢🚢🚢

That's a shame vitalsign like us it looks like you have only cruised with Thomson and we find they all have good and bad points but just love the experience don't think we have had a really bad experience on any of them, yes the flooded cabin and on going maintenance work but they always seem to sort things out, we realise they are old ships but do enjoy them for all the faults, just hope the Discovery is as good as we have a couple booked.😁

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Apologies to Rookery got confused reading your list of cruises should have replied to Trinitytrees and they still haven't answered your question

Pensioncruiser I have cruised with Ocean Village a few times and although they were old P & O ships (they are still in service in Australia) I found the food much better than Thomson but it's a few years ago The cabins were good and loved the atrium however the entertainment although good was not as good as Thomson

Can't see any other line attracting me as I like the proper Ocean going liners with no more than 1500 passengers but may give Discovery a try 2018

Thanks for the positive words re the Celebration. I am going on my first Thomson cruise on 30th April ( have cruised with P & O) & had noticed a few reviews that complained of excessive vibrations.

We were on her in July and didn't notice the vibration. We've cruised with P&O and Cunard and really enjoyed Celebration, great food and wonderful staff. Yes, the cabins are a bit dated but very clean and I feel the shows are better than Cunard. We're going on her again next January so must have liked her!

We were on her in July and didn't notice the vibration. We've cruised with P&O and Cunard and really enjoyed Celebration, great food and wonderful staff. Yes, the cabins are a bit dated but very clean and I feel the shows are better than Cunard. We're going on her again next January so must have liked her!

A bit of history to possibly clarify the situation. As I understand it Celebration was built for Holland America Line in the early 1980's as MS Noordam. Her sister ship Thomson Spirit was named MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

Allegedly when originally designed they were meant to be container ships but a recession left the hulls constructed. the ships were finished as passenger vessels and had to have twin propellers. When the two engines were squeezed into the engine room there was little room for electricity generators so a single large generator was fitted. This 'wobbles' and produces the famous or infamous 'vibration'. It is not a vibration it is a wobble with complex harmonies that over the years have defied attempts to lessen it without gutting the ship and spending more money than the ship is worth. The wobble varies over the ship and is hardly noticeable in places. I understand that when built the main passenger decks were suspended to minimise the wobble. Frequent passengers hardly notice the wobble.

All the above might just be 'alternative facts' but we do live in the post truth era ;)

ps - they can generate electrical trickery of the main engine shafts but it zaps the fuel consumption.

In fairness the ship does vibrate when in cabins on deck 7 144/146/148 you can feel the vibration and in the corridor this time I was in 131 and no wobble at all

The sun deck on deck 6 also vibrates occasionally - funny to watch your tummy wobbling but you DO get used to it and it's not noisy This ship is great - enjoy

I wondered about cases too. I'm going on 30th April on a Thomson flight & have no idea if the lady I see of the bags is at the airport, or if I take them off & put them on the transfer bus.

It's all very confusing

Surprised this January that we had to haul our luggage to the coach in Dubai unlike when in the Caribbean

If you're in the Med in April you will have to do the same

Perfect thread, sorry to jump in 'late' but I've only just booked today for feb 22s 'cities of gold'.. A late 'Cheap' booking :D

only 2.5 weeks too go :D:)

Got a few Questions hope you got time to answer, thanks

here goes:

Never been on a small ship b4, hows the entertainment? was there any films?

It'll be my first time on Thomson cruises as well as first time (apart from a short layover in Dubai in 2015) in the region..

So If any one has a tips I'd appreciate. Such as must dos, and don'ts... We have a sea day on a Friday (think that coincides with Pray day... a bit lucky there :s

Is it true that if I check my baggage in Gatwick the next time I'll see them is 'outside the cabin'?? flying thomson...

Plus I've heard Thomson charge for shuttle buses in Europe, but are free in the UAE.. any truth? if not how much did the cost?

Lastly I am thinking of buying a HOHO triple ticket (24hours each in Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Dubai) for the BIGBUSTOUR, but its coming up (offal site) as £108PP which seems a tad step. Any other options to see the good stuff?

Almost forgot to ask about the use of Sterling. As the ship is AI and on board spend is sterling. I am really hoping to get away with only bring a Sterling ££ and whatever spare € and $ I have. will that be sensible enough to still see and do the good stuff...

thanks in advance.

Edited by waney

Just got back myself - the ship is great I love proper Ocean going liners with a promenade deck - entertainment on Thomson ships is unbeatable and apart from the theatre and Horizons everything happens at the aft if the ship. Films are available on TV in your cabin.

I did trips from the ship but would do the hoho buses next time apart from a dhow Norway cruise and Dubai at night booked online before we went The latter is very popular so recommend you book it before you go if you want to go on this trip Read the excursions on line.

You will unfortunately have to collect your luggage at the airport and take it to the coach and same on return.

We didn't change any money just used dollars

Perfect thread, sorry to jump in 'late' but I've only just booked today for feb 22s 'cities of gold'.. A late 'Cheap' booking :D

only 2.5 weeks too go :D:)

Got a few Questions hope you got time to answer, thanks

here goes:

Never been on a small ship b4, hows the entertainment? was there any films?

It'll be my first time on Thomson cruises as well as first time (apart from a short layover in Dubai in 2015) in the region..

So If any one has a tips I'd appreciate. Such as must dos, and don'ts... We have a sea day on a Friday (think that coincides with Pray day... a bit lucky there :s

Is it true that if I check my baggage in Gatwick the next time I'll see them is 'outside the cabin'?? flying thomson...

Plus I've heard Thomson charge for shuttle buses in Europe, but are free in the UAE.. any truth? if not how much did the cost?

Lastly I am thinking of buying a HOHO triple ticket (24hours each in Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Dubai) for the BIGBUSTOUR, but its coming up (offal site) as £108PP which seems a tad step. Any other options to see the good stuff?

Almost forgot to ask about the use of Sterling. As the ship is AI and on board spend is sterling. I am really hoping to get away with only bring a Sterling ££ and whatever spare € and $ I have. will that be sensible enough to still see and do the good stuff...

thanks in advance.

Hi,

All shuttles were free, in Bahrain the shuttle took you to the 'souk' area, you couldn't get in or out of port unless on the shuttle, it took 45 mins going out and an hour coming back, some people got straight back on the bus when it got there, they weren't impressed. we had a wonder round and had a drink in mcdonalds for some free wifi.

in Muscat there was a shuttle to Muscat but we just wondered around the port area Muttrah, theres a souk and lots of cafes with free wifi, asked for am 'omani' drink and was advised Mango juice was the thing so had one.. delish!

in Khasab, If you haven't got a trip booked then I would stop on the ship, we booked the dhow cruise with Dolphin dhow cruises and it was amazing, they picked you up at the port (we tendered here, NOTHING where the tender docks) and was only our party of 10 and another couple off the ship on it, had it practically to ourselves, saw dolphins and snorkelled, amazing! cheaper than thomsons excursiontoo of course. Thomson had a shuttle into khasab 10 minutes away, was only because we caught an early tender as all the Thomson trips were tendering at lunch time that we had time, Khasab has about 4-5 souvenir shops and that it, as I said, if you don't have a trip booked class it as a sea day.

In Abu Dhabi they had a shuttle to the Marina mall, ideal to get to the Etihad towers or Emerald palace, taxi's are waiting where the bus drops you off. I had lunch at the rotating restaurant up the tower at the mall, was in-expensive as no minimum spend like a lot of places have in Dubai for somewhere like that.

In Dubai there is a free shuttle to Mercato mall, they just ask you go inside for a look, then you can taxi other places or to a metro stop. taxi's aplenty at the port... make sure you get them to put the metre on and not agree a price, taxis are cheap if metred.

In Bahrain we heard prices shouted out in GBP, USD, UADirham and euros.. they take anything! We did take £100 worth of dirham with us to use in Dubai and Abu Dhabi though, they took dhirum in oman too, its one Omani rial equals 10 dirham so easy to work out when you see/hear prices.

You will have a brilliant time!