Mexican Rivera in September

tjwilson09

Has anyone cruised in September to the Mexican Rivera? I've read it's hurricane season and super HOT. If you have cruised in September; how was your experience? Is it better to go the next month? TIA;)

I was on Miracle last September ..unbelievably hot in Ports ...I was not prepared for that . Bought those loose fitting sun dresses by the pier in PV they kept me cooler.

Had a fabulous time ..

First time we went was in September. HOT doesn't describe it. Had a great time but won't do that again. I remember being on our aft balcony in PV, night time, raining, humid, warm, fireworks up on the mountain, no shirt, ice cold beer, blessed.

Now if that was the only time I could go?......great weather, a little warm, but great.

October is just as bad. Mom took one step off the ship in PV and turned back, it was that bad at 7pm. In Cabo we barely made it to Solomon's Landing, usually we go way past Cabo Wabo with no problem whatsoever. Also first week of October is usually fall break for Arizona schools.

FWIW November isn't much better.

OTOH, DH would have no problem. He loves hot and humid.

Has anyone cruised in September to the Mexican Rivera? I've read it's hurricane season and super HOT. If you have cruised in September; how was your experience? Is it better to go the next month? TIA;)

What you have read is true. Now you have read it here as well..

• 2 weeks later...

Along the same lines, any thoughts oh sea conditions that time of year. We are looking at scheduling a group cruise the end of October 2018 on the Bliss. My wife and I cruised the Mexican Rivieria on the Star in Early Ocotober years ago and it was a pretty bumpy ride. Not sure if that was a fluke or if that's normal. Hoping the the MUCH larger ship would smooth out the ride as well.

Anyone done late fall on a 140-160,000 ton ship?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We will be cruising there in September - October this year, I will prepare for the heat and humidity that is for sure!!! No long walking excursions for us - we will stick to AC rides if possible and Shaded beach areas when available!! My hair will be out of control but I will prepare for that too with anti-humidity spray!! No temp - humidity will ruin out good time!!

We will be cruising there in September - October this year, I will prepare for the heat and humidity that is for sure!!! No long walking excursions for us - we will stick to AC rides if possible and Shaded beach areas when available!! My hair will be out of control but I will prepare for that too with anti-humidity spray!! No temp - humidity will ruin out good time!!

Also, bring 2 swim suits as they just don't dry in the cabin! Lol! You will have a blast!

• 4 weeks later...

We're going then as well... 9/30-10/7 on HAL's Oosterdam. We're regular visitors (cruisers) to Mexico and it's warm (averaging in the 80's-90's) year around there, only varying by a few degrees either way depending on the month. Don't let that deter you from visiting Mexico any time of year, and enjoy! :D

I have a question along the same lines. We have sailed many times in the Caribbean and like the warm water there. I am also a big baby that if I am going to be lounging on the beach and/or in the water I want it warm out and warmish water...if you had a choice between March and October which would be the best time for those conditions? Friends of ours just did one in March and when I was following them via bridge cams and port cams it was saying it was like 57 or 60 ish degrees in the am when the ship arrived....That is too cold for me I think...but curious as to those who frequent the area think?

You might want to consider that September is the middle of the rainy season in Puerto Vallarta. Does this mean you will have lousy weather? No. But it sure increases the odds of rain...lots of rain. Quite a few of our favorite restaurants and eating venues tend to close that time of the year since it is among the slowest months for business. Looking at some weather statistics it rains about half the days of that month. Consider that when we live in PV (Jan-Mar) we might have 1 or 2 days of rain in 2 months! PV averages about 14 inches of rain in September which you could compare to Feb when they average less than 1/2 inch and 1 day of rain (in the entire month). For those that want to visit in Aug-Sept, they will find amazing rental deals of about half the cost as the busier months (with good weather)..

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have a question along the same lines. We have sailed many times in the Caribbean and like the warm water there. I am also a big baby that if I am going to be lounging on the beach and/or in the water I want it warm out and warmish water...if you had a choice between March and October which would be the best time for those conditions? Friends of ours just did one in March and when I was following them via bridge cams and port cams it was saying it was like 57 or 60 ish degrees in the am when the ship arrived....That is too cold for me I think...but curious as to those who frequent the area think?

I live in Cabo part time and have been here since December 13th. When I first arrived, it was still hot, then just like that, we had about six weeks of a "cold" spell, daytime temps in the low to mid 70's. Cabo is a desert and like any desert climate, in the winter, which would be March, it cools off at night, but most days warm up nicely. I walk my doggies around 7:30 am and only recall wearing a light sweater a couple of times in the morning. Weather in Mexico is changing just as it is anywhere else, but as I write, it is a beautiful, balmy 75 degrees with a gentle breeze. I have not worn long pants or close toed shoes since I've been here.

I live in Cabo part time and have been here since December 13th. When I first arrived, it was still hot, then just like that, we had about six weeks of a "cold" spell, daytime temps in the low to mid 70's. Cabo is a desert and like any desert climate, in the winter, which would be March, it cools off at night, but most days warm up nicely. I walk my doggies around 7:30 am and only recall wearing a light sweater a couple of times in the morning. Weather in Mexico is changing just as it is anywhere else, but as I write, it is a beautiful, balmy 75 degrees with a gentle breeze. I have not worn long pants or close toed shoes since I've been here.

Thanks for the info. I tend to get cold easily that is why I am thinking October will be the best time. I don't intend to pack a sweater to bring off while wearing my bathing suit...lol Plus for me once feet and hands are cold..I go downhill from there...so the sweater wouldn't help those..ugh.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
How was October?:cool:

Horribly hot, hottest ever last year. Every day was 95-98 with 90% humidity. Aug, Sept, Oct are hurricane months and we've missed ports in the past due to this and have also outrun hurricanes as well.

I will elaborate, if one is accustomed to heat and humidity, then it probably won't affect them as much. For someone like myself, a native Californian, I don't like much temperature fluctuation and am used to non humid 75-90 temps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Horribly hot, hottest ever last year. Every day was 95-98 with 90% humidity. Aug, Sept, Oct are hurricane months and we've missed ports in the past due to this and have also outrun hurricanes as well.

I will elaborate, if one is accustomed to heat and humidity, then it probably won't affect them as much. For someone like myself, a native Californian, I don't like much temperature fluctuation and am used to non humid 75-90 temps

Ah just what I want if I am going to be lounging around in a swimsuit. Friends went in March and said it was mid to high 50s in the am when ship would 1st dock...yeah that doesn't work for me in a swimsuit or even a tank, shorts and flip flops. I tend to get cold easily.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Ah just what I want if I am going to be lounging around in a swimsuit. Friends went in March and said it was mid to high 50s in the am when ship would 1st dock...yeah that doesn't work for me in a swimsuit or even a tank, shorts and flip flops. I tend to get cold easily.

Not sure if it is because I am an old lady now and menopausal, 🤣🤣🤣but the heat kicks my behind in the tropics. I used to go there all the time in my 20s and never had an issue with the heat.

Not sure if it is because I am an old lady now and menopausal, 🤣🤣🤣but the heat kicks my behind in the tropics. I used to go there all the time in my 20s and never had an issue with the heat.

Oh what I wouldn't give for a hot flash. I sit in an ice box office all day. I have mini heater at my desk, where a sweater and a jacket. ..and my hands and feet are still cold. We live in SoCal and even the 100 degrees days dont help. ..I come home and take HOT showers and I can finally feely bones thawing out. Based on family history I should be about 5 years or so away from menopause but darn docs want to keep me on meds til 50...ouch that is 10 years away ...I am thinking of fighting them.. but I guess for now I will get my warmth in caribbean and October in Mexico. ..oh what a shame I will have to cruise more...lol

We're from San Diego, and not fans of, or used to a lot of humidity either. But a little heat is tolerable. It usually makes us look forward to getting back to that nice, cool air conditioned ship at the end of the day! :)

Oh what I wouldn't give for a hot flash. I sit in an ice box office all day. I have mini heater at my desk, where a sweater and a jacket. ..and my hands and feet are still cold. We live in SoCal and even the 100 degrees days dont help. ..I come home and take HOT showers and I can finally feely bones thawing out. Based on family history I should be about 5 years or so away from menopause but darn docs want to keep me on meds til 50...ouch that is 10 years away ...I am thinking of fighting them.. but I guess for now I will get my warmth in caribbean and October in Mexico. ..oh what a shame I will have to cruise more...lol

Oh, it is equally awful to feel so cold [emoji45] may be a thyroid issue, possibly?

We're from San Diego, and not fans of, or used to a lot of humidity either. But a little heat is tolerable. It usually makes us look forward to getting back to that nice, cool air conditioned ship at the end of the day! :)

I suppose drinking two margaritas and a couple daiquiris before noon didn't help much, either. [emoji23]