Solo on Scenic River Cruises

jenniferro

Hi folks, I'm about to embark on a Scenic river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam, in the company of 3 other solo lady travelers from my home city. Are there activities for solo travelers, or any effort to seat solos together for dining? Although we will have each other for company, it would be nice to meet other solos. Thank you.

I traveled alone (65y.o.woman) on Viking River last year. These aren't big ships and activities are very limited. While in port, you are usually on a tour (included) that leaves at a fixed time. At that, not a lot of free time in port.

Mealtimes are fixed, unassigned tables. I know lots of passengers traveled together and sat at tables together. I looked around the room for an empty space and asked if it was occupied.

Note: Aside from the bar, and only coffee, tea and hot chocolate are available , with maybe cookies or a pastry at the coffee station when meals are not being served.

Hi, took my first River Cruise last year on AMA Waterways....Amsterdam roundrtip....it was called TULIP TIME:),,,,

I can't speak about Scenic but AMA doesn't do "solo events" but I would not really expect them to......the ship only holds

about 150 people so it is VERY easy to meet other people as the cruise goes on........I had a FANTASTIC time and will

be looking at another River Cruise in 2018.

I agree with the previous poster about dining, many times you can meet other folks during the day on tours and

before dinner have drinks in the lounge area.......very easy to meet others and finding folks to have dinner with is very

easy. And as for activites? Again, I don't know about Scenic but on AMA every day we were docked I was off the ship on a tour

(Most everyone was touring). I don't remember any "on board activities"....going on a River cruise is really about seeing the places

(in my opinion).

I must admit, I don't care if there are other solo cruisers on board though.......as long as people are friendly, that is more

important to me,,,,oh, I always cruise solo:)

I hope you have a wonderful time:)

• 1 month later...

I did a solo river cruise last year on Viking (Budapest to Passau) and absolutely loved it. Made friends with everyone I met and hung out with several of them in port. Viking sends me print ads - seemingly every other day - and I got one that had a really low single supplement, which is why I was able to go. With sailings that they are having trouble filling the ship, this will sometime be the case - so keep an eye on the mailings you get or have your TA scout out some good solo deals for you. I have my TA on the lookout for another river or ocean cruise for me when she spots one. Happy sailing! :)

I've been on Scenic from Budapest to Amsterdam as a solo. Meals are open seating. There were no solo activities but given the small number of passengers you will soon know who is traveling solo. Couples and family groups were also very friendly and I spent lots of time with them as did other solo travellers.

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a 7 day Tulip Time solo river cruise on the AmaCerto. It was fantastic. There were only 2-3 single women on board, and I was able to get the single supplement waiver for my booking, which clenched me taking this trip vs. other river cruise lines. Other passengers were very friendly (mostly from the USA, some from Canada, a few from the UK, and a large family from Brazil). The cruise director kept an eye out for us solos to be sure we were feeling included. The first day prior to boarding I did things on my own in Amsterdam, but the rest of the trip all my shore visits were with a group (tours included on this cruise). I also never had a problem finding a table to join for meals, and made many friends who I could have drinks with before or after dinner, or join for tea in the afternoon. Everyone was so friendly, which was exemplified on one excursion where I forgot my wallet on the ship in my safe. Two other ladies who I had talked to several times on the cruise loaned me money so I could get something to eat and purchase some chocolate for gifts. Easy with such a small ship (164 passengers) to find them later that evening and pay them back for their kind loan. This will not be my last river cruise!