Scenic Reveals More Details of New Luxury Ocean Cruise Ship

LauraS

Check out this news item from Cruise Critic:

Scenic Reveals More Details of New Luxury Ocean Cruise Ship

Laura, months ago I emailed a suggestion to give Scenic a dedicated page on the boards, just as Viking has one. With Scenic already having a sister ship on order, and quite a few posters on this board booked on the upcoming Eclipse, it would be nice to have a dedicated space to discuss it.

I should also point out my email request went completely ignored — not even a "Thanks but no thanks" to the idea.

• 1 month later...

I did some research on the scenic Eclipse. This ship is the first new yacht built for cruising. There is some cruise lines that have a refurbished yachts like Crystal and Sea Dream. This yacht is so unique in design inside and out. This ship will be in competition with the six star cruise lines. The only downside is the Eclipse itineraries. Example for 8 days 1 stop or 14 days 1 stop. These are not transatlantic crossings. They have to fix their itineraries.

1 stop means the ship stops at one port during the cruise.

Just looked at the itineraries again and do now see some like that, but they do seem in the minority. Most appear to have plenty of stops. It's crazy how fast many of the cruises are suddenly sailing. We booked only a few a months ago with nearly every category open, and now our sailing is nearly sold out.

Has anyone noticed that the ship doesn't provide free wifi? Also there are no bathrobes and sleepers for the guests. To me these are basic privileges for a luxury cruise ship passenger.

Anyone care to comment?

Ricky

Edited by Ricky Chan

Has anyone noticed that the ship doesn't provide free wifi? Also there are no bathrobes and sleepers for the guests. To me these are basic privileges for a luxury cruise ship passenger.

Anyone care to comment?

Ricky

In the latest brochure they created, it does say complimentary wifi is provided. However, in suite amenities, robes are not mentioned until you get to Spa Suites and above.

In the latest brochure they created, it does say complimentary wifi is provided. However, in suite amenities, robes are not mentioned until you get to Spa Suites and above.

I also logged on to its website and checked its on-line brochure but couldn't find the info. I must had missed it, will do it again.

I did e-mail to its info dept. this morning and received the answer that free wifi will be provided.

I have just booked a Sept. 22, 2018 Inaugural Transatlantic Crossing cruise from Barcelona to Miami.

Ricky

I found the info about free wi-fi on its on-line brochure, thanks. Wasn't there when I checked yesterday.

Ricky

I also logged on to its website and checked its on-line brochure but couldn't find the info. I must had missed it, will do it again.

I did e-mail to its info dept. this morning and received the answer that free wifi will be provided.

I have just booked a Sept. 22, 2018 Inaugural Transatlantic Crossing cruise from Barcelona to Miami.

Ricky

Very nice! You will be boarding right after we disembark. We're on the September 14th Eastern Mediterranean Treasures sailing.

Very nice! You will be boarding right after we disembark. We're on the September 14th Eastern Mediterranean Treasures sailing.

I realized that. Yours is second cruise and ours is third one. The inaugural cruise is from Athens to Venice. Hopefully by second cruise everything will run smoothly which is not always the case in most cases in most cruise lines.

Ricky

I did some research on the scenic Eclipse. This ship is the first new yacht built for cruising. There is some cruise lines that have a refurbished yachts like Crystal and Sea Dream. This yacht is so unique in design inside and out. This ship will be in competition with the six star cruise lines. The only downside is the Eclipse itineraries. Example for 8 days 1 stop or 14 days 1 stop. These are not transatlantic crossings. They have to fix their itineraries.

I forgot to mention I just booked a suite on the new Scenic Eclipse for Nov. 16, 2018.

Yes, we do have concerns about that, but feel confident Scenic's reputation won't let anyone down. Our biggest concern about having booked a sailing so soon after launch is potential delays at the building process leading to a rescheduled or canceled cruise.

Good news. I was informed by Scenic Cruises today that robes and slippers will be provided to every guest, and he/she can keep the slippers after the cruise.

Ricky

Had to laugh a bit at your post. Any cruise line or hotel that provides slippers lets you keep them. They are likely to last up to a month:evilsmile:

• 2 weeks later...
Ricky Chan

I did book the Eclipse for Nov 16, 2018. Are the paper brochures out for the public?

Yes, I have one on hand. It is called "Discovery Voyages - Europe & The Americas" for 2018/2019. It is very comprehensive and a very thick brochure.

Had to laugh a bit at your post. Any cruise line or hotel that provides slippers lets you keep them. They are likely to last up to a month:evilsmile:

I was actually emphasizing that Scenic does provide slippers and robes. :p:p

We're booked on the 2nd Cuba circumnavigation in Oct. 2018 ... so glad we booked last year, as it has long been 'sold out' for U.S. passengers. This will undoubtedly raise the bar on luxury cruising.

It could raise the bar if people in North America if people knew more about it. I thought it was an ocean liner and then was told it was a yacht (but they do have ships that do river cruises which isn't our thing). Just went to the website and learned that she will be (end of 2018) an ocean cruising yacht that holds only 228 guests (only 200 in the Arctic and Antarctica) which is obviously only 114 suite/cabins. This is only one ship and I don't see how the could be competition to any of the current luxury ocean liners. Even if it were perfect in every way, the passenger load is so small as to be insignificant (JMHO). The itinerary to Norway is wonderful but there is no pricing yet.

OceanPatter, kindly explain what "sold out for U.S. passengers" means? Is it sold out for Australian passengers and European passengers or only those from the U.S.