Expect Delays on Amtrak, NJT and LIRR Rail Service Due To Repairs At NY Penn Station

njhorseman

Amtrak is now recognizing the deteriorated, dangerous condition of tracks and switches at Penn Station and will be closing tracks for repair, apparently for an extended period. They have not provided details of exactly how many tracks will be closed at a time and what the expected resulting delays will be, but you should plan for significant delays and not base your travel plans on current published schedules. Even if you are not traveling all the way into or out of NY Penn, for example if you're taking Amtrak from DC to Newark Penn for a cruise departing Cape Liberty, expect delays to cascade down the line .

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20170427/TRANSPORTATION/170429892/amtrak-accelerates-penn-station-work-expect-more-delays

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/27/nyregion/amtrak-penn-station-repairs.html

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/NJ-Transit-LIRR-Amtrak-Penn-Station-Hub-Commute-Rush-Hour-delays-Repairs-Railroad-Tracks-Derailment-Manhattan-New-York.html

Edited by njhorseman

So now Penn Station tracks are being repaired.

The Pulaski skyway construction is behind schedule.

The Bayonne Bridge construction is behind schedule.

The LaGuardia area is under construction.

What other ongoing projects are affecting major transportation routes in NYC?

Tappan Zee Bridge construction; weekend maintenance construction at Midtown Tunnel - one tube closed;

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tappan Zee Bridge construction

weekend maintenance construction at Midtown Tunnel - one tube closed

Any more to add to the list?

Middays off-peak and all weekend - the RFK Bridge (formerly known as the Triborough) that connect Queens, Bronx & upper Manhattan + Randall Island has lane closures as well- "major rehab" and to path the ease to cash-less all EZ-Pass toll crossing this year ... it affect mainly those going to/from LGA and Upper Manhattan and often used by taxis and car services as alternate to the Queens Midtown Tunnel & Ed Koch/E. 59th St. Bridge (which are frequently squeezed in bumper-to-bumper, almost gridlock conditions).

Good news, in part, is tonight's opening of a brand new span of the Kosciuszko Bridge - part of the BQE connecting Queens & Brooklyn over Newton Creek, a vital link - LED lights for the roadway - the 78 years old bridge span will be imploded and a 2nd. span to be completed by 2020 (fingers crossed) ... for those heading between LGA & Brooklyn's Red Hook Cruise Terminal, it should make the trip a little more predictable.

http://abc7ny.com/news/new-span-at-kosciuszko-bridge-set-to-open-with-light-show/1921278/

When traffic is jammed coming/going toward the Lower East River (Brooklyn, Manhattan & Williamsburgh Bridges) - the commuter's option is to squeeze toward QMT into Midtown East, we will see how this alleviate the congestion in the coming days and weeks ... the bottleneck isn't going away entirely. Both spans are needed to make traffic flow smoothly.

Pathway or roads/highways to JFK Airport - that's a different chapter almost in itself - #sigh.

Good news, in part, is tonight's opening of a brand new span of the Kosciuszko Bridge - part of the BQE connecting Queens & Brooklyn over Newton Creek, a vital link - LED lights for the roadway -

Good News HAH, BQE traffic was a mess, two lanes one way three the other and traffic at a standstill. It does not work do to the traffic pattern changes on the approaches to the new span.

BQE will NOT improve until the 2nd span is opened. Pretty lights to look at when standing still, my tax money is paying the electricity for.

Pathway or roads/highways to JFK Airport - that's a different chapter almost in itself - #sigh.

Ah, to make a long chapter short for a tourist - I was planning to take AirTran + Subway for JFK->Times Square-ish on a midweek morning in June, arriving around 8:30 am. Is that still the faster way to go?

I'd also planned on taking public transit from Manhattan to Port Liberty/Bayonne on a weekday morning and was planning on PATH+ Light Rail + Taxi/RideShare. Since NJT is impacted, should I grab the bus instead or just head out early? Would a half hour buffer be ok?

I travel light :)

I saw on the news that the Rockaway Ferry opened today. Not sure how convenient this would be to get to Manhattan from JFK. Air Train to the Howard Beach station. Take the A to Beach 105 and hop on the Ferry to Pier 11/Wall Street. Web site says every hour on the half from 5:30 AM to 8:30 PM. 1 hour ferry for 2.75. Might be something to consider if you pick a hotel on the lower end of Manhattan.

Thought I'd put a small bright spot in an otherwise terrible transportation situation in the city...

Ah, to make a long chapter short for a tourist - I was planning to take AirTran + Subway for JFK->Times Square-ish on a midweek morning in June, arriving around 8:30 am. Is that still the faster way to go?

I'd also planned on taking public transit from Manhattan to Port Liberty/Bayonne on a weekday morning and was planning on PATH+ Light Rail + Taxi/RideShare. Since NJT is impacted, should I grab the bus instead or just head out early? Would a half hour buffer be ok?

I travel light :)

None of your current plans take you through NY Penn Station on a regular train. The Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne is run by NJ Transit, but it is not affected. Coming from JFK I think you have a reasonable plan - just plunk yourself on the E train and ride until you get to Times Square.

I did something similar in London. All sorts of directions about how to take the fast Heathrow train from Paddington, but I just got on the nearby Piccadilly line and rode the 20+ stops.

Good to know. We are on AMTRAK from Vermont on September 30. Hopefully things will be relatively cleared up by then. However, if our spring(so far) is any indication of the coming summer weather, rain might hamper construction.

• 2 weeks later...

On the brighter side the new Tappan Zee Bridge is going up on schedule and is spectacular.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier today, Amtrak announced its summer plan for reduced services into NY Penn Station, effective July 10 thru Sept 1 -

http://abc7ny.com/travel/amtrak-announces-plans-to-reduce-trains-during-penn-station-repairs/2056014/

No announcements yet from MTA on impact & changes to LIRR, Metro North and NJTransit commuter rail services. Those planning to reach NYC ports in the coming months should check, review and re-plan if necessary, accordingly.

This morning - LIRR's morning commute was disrupted and delayed due to 3rd rail power issues, disabling 2 trains under the East River. This typically affect travelers using JFK, connecting to the AirTrain to Jamaica for the LIRR trains into/from NY Penn Station - alternate & slower (but, Express stops) services are available on the E subway line. Q70-SBS from/to LGA also connect to LIRR at Woodside and E subway at 74th Street & Roosevelt Ave station.

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/lirr-trains-get-stuck-in-tunnel;-power-issue-causes-delays/2054216/

Meanwhile, bridge work from lane closure for removing EZ-Pass gated barriers/tooth tooths resulting in gridlock conditions at the Bronx-Queens Whitestone & Throgs Neck Bridge (which ... usually do not affect most LGA and JFK travelers on the usual more direct routes into midtown Manhattan)

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/toll-booth-construction-at-2-city-bridges-causing-gridlock/2057458/

Similar gridlocks has been seen at the RFK (formerly, Triborough) Bridge crossing. Queens Midtown Tunnel has had one of two "tubes" carrying traffic closed on weekends & overnight for maintenance and upgrade - toll booth removal & conversion has been completed there.

What to do ... what to do ?? Pack "patience" for traveling to/from metro NY area. Do not panic - plan and allow plenty of extra time when traveling, including weekends but especially if using them on weekdays ... make full use of all available real-time traffic-based navigation guidance to plan & re-map travel options.

There is much construction/renovation the NY area ..... some of it long overdue. Also bicycle lanes been established in some of the Manhattan avenues (north/south) which do slow vehicle traffic. Best to allow extra time in planning your transfers here.

It's already hellish for LIRR riders and the summer work hasn't even begun. It's almost daily.

Same for NJ Transit. There is a minimum 30 minute delay from published schedules if nothing unusual is happening, and it only goes up from there when there's an an actual problem with a train, signals, etc.

Same for NJ Transit. There is a minimum 30 minute delay from published schedules if nothing unusual is happening, and it only goes up from there when there's an an actual problem with a train, signals, etc.

And it's been surmised that more folks are driving in now (both rivers) because of the transit mess, which causes more congestion and traffic.

Anyone taking Amtrak to connect with a New York embarkation in the next several months (do not believe predictions for September completion) should allow for reduced service and delays. Those coming from upstate New York might actually benefit from plans to have those trains terminate at Grand Central for the time being.

It all reminds me of the prophetic nature of the child's mis-pronunciation of part of a well-known prayer:

"Lead us not into Penn Station".

• 2 weeks later...

Amtrak will bring 6 Empire Service trains (from upstate NY, including those from Buffalo & points west of Albany) scheduled (3 in and 3 out) into Grand Central Terminal on the East Side instead of NY Penn Station this summer during the much-needed repairs. http://www.lohud.com/story/news/transit/2017/06/12/amtrak-grand-central-terminal/389719001/

Cruise passengers with confirmed travel plans booked on Amtrak this summer should review & re-verify details and allow additional transfer time as necessary.

LIRR, which is part of the JFK AirTrain connection option for flyers - will also be impacted by the announced changes ... express subway services on the "E" line remained not affected but will likely be more crowded even at off-peak hours.

http://abc7ny.com/travel/lirr-reducing-service-during-summer-work/2088008/