Crabs in a Bucket

Strophic

You don't need to put a lid on a bucket of crabs, because if one tries to crawl out, it will be pulled back in by the other crabs. I think a lot of us are sitting in a great big bucket of overweight Americans (or other nationality) and our family and peers are the crabs.

"Don't you think it's time for you to stop now?"

"You look fine! Why are you trying to lose weight?"

"You know that 95% of diets fail, right?"

"Oh come on, it's a party! Don't you want another slice of pizza?"

I lost weight once before and experienced this in droves. Lots of people—some well-meaning, some not—supporting me to a point, and then withdrawing their support when they felt I had made *too* much progress. My mother told me I was "getting anorexic" when I was 10lbs shy of obese. Now it's already starting to happen again, and I'm only 15 lbs down—the weight loss shouldn't even be visible yet!

I think our culture is one that tells us that being overweight is often something we can't control. It's genetic, you have a condition, it "just happens" when you're over 40. And people convince themselves their weight isn't their fault, so it hurts their self esteem to see someone else make progress. Has anyone else experienced this? Feel free to rant, I know that weight loss is already hard enough without other people making it harder.

Need to remember two important points:

1: most Americans are overweight. So fit appears abnormal to the brain.

2:. Simple jealousy of someone doing what the other person knows they should do themselves.

I don't pay any attention to what people say out of any reasons.

I know health guidelines, I also know how great it look and feel when I am within the norm. I even like my photos then. :)

I would never suggest to someone to lose weight as I know it is not easy for many people. I just care about my personal weight.

And about "after 40".... it is an excuse. Tried to use it when lazy, but noticed that everything works just the same when I exercise and eat correct.