Never mind the high cost, what about the laptop ban?

jollyjones

If, as is being predicted, the ban on all electronics larger than a phone in carry on baggage is extended to all flights from Europe, how will that affect your cruising plans?

And if, as Joe Leader (the CEO of an airline industry backed group The Airline Passenger Experience Association) states 'it's simply a matter of time' before the ban is extended to all US domestic flights, how will that affect your cruising plans?

I am troubled about the sudden turnaround from being forbidden to put lithium batteries in the hold because it is dangerous, to being forced to do so. Not to mention the massive inconvenience and the hugely increased risk of one's electronics being lost, stolen or damaged.

Surely there must be a better way?

YES it will effect me. I will be damned if I am going to put thousands of dollars worth of electronic gear in my checked bag. The chance of theft, damage or lost luggage is not a game I want to play. I go on vacation to take pictures (with a "real" camera not a cell phone) and use my laptop each night to go through, initial editing and backup shots.

It will be interesting to see the major backlash form the business community on this. It is one thing to put it in place for a few middle eastern airports....but when you start adding London, Paris, Frankfurt, etc etc not you are effecting major business hubs. This will not make this administration, which claims to be "pro business" very popular. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, 'large electronics' is not just laptops - it includes tablets, kindles, cameras, games and everything electronic larger than a phone.

No, of course a cruiser does not necessarily need these things, but I like to travel with some of them and I'd like them to return home with me in functioning condition.

It will create a great problem for us. I am a photographer, I always travel with some camera gear and my laptop. I have had stuff stolen from checked, locked bags, I have had bags lost. The airlines' response has always been "NO". TSA agents have been caught stealing stuff, ramp workers have been caught, baggage handlers have been caught. United Airlines has been moving to an IFE system based on you bringing your own screen so how is that going to work? Too much of our work today involves computers and being connected so business travelers are going to rebel. Please write your senators and congressmen. I already did.

Air Canada did just get a huge boost, unless Canada implements the policy too. My upcoming flight to and from Europe is via Toronto and it appears to be a good thing!

If TSA includes cameras in the ban, riots will break out. I can like without my Kindle, by buying a print version, however, if cameras are banned to checked luggage, our Congressman had better cancel all his upcoming town halls! The mobs won't be happy!

If this ban goes into effect I would hope the airlines bigwigs and logistics people can seriously put thought into a laptop/iPad special checkin procedure

Pax will need to check them at a special counter and yes it will prolong the security line(but it may also persuade people to leave the stuff home too)

Then the airline must give a receipt and record the actual item with serious attention put toward NOT EVER misplacing one single item and have special personnel assigned to the secure transport of costly electronics. Heck my iPad cost me $250 but I also could have bought the high end model for $750 Putting these items in checked luggage is akin to putting fine gold jewelry or even your meds or glasses in there. We are all savvy enough to know not to do this

They misplace luggage all too often and there are too many horror stories about baggage handlers and remember it's baggage handlers all over the world not just at your home airport

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi there

I am sure this will happen and over time will expand. There is nothing about the world we live in that would suggest that in a month or two or xxx someone will all of sudden decide that they can reverse a decision like this.

The only thing I can think of is how will the airlines deal with the backlash. I think there should be some way them implementing the restrictions while accommodating their customers. Since these electronics need to be placed in with the checked baggage and not carried onto the plane, people are going to want to feel some sort of security from theft, damage, etc...

What I am envisioning and wouldn't be too complicated to put in place would be having secure box at the boarding gate, passengers would be allowed to use a protective envelope to deposit their device and given a claim sticker. Once boarding is complete this box would be locked and brought to the baggage compartment just like my wife's wheelchair. It will be brought up and the same way. It may be somewhat inconvenient but not as inconvenient as the alternative.

This is a chance for the airline industry to get ahead of the curve. They have shown a lack of motivation in the past, but right now most companies are really concerned about their image and hopefully might thinking ahead. :) As they say, where there is a will there is a way. We can only hope.

No, this will not affect my travel plans. You could consider not bringing large electronics. There was a time when people survived without them.

Yes I agree to a point and I remember traveling with travelers checks too and I'm not old by any means

Problem is that all business/education/booking etc is done online and the vast majority of people must have access 24/7. Times has evolved to a point that these electronics are mandatory so this ban is very disruptive but if the airlines use whatever brains they have left they could make this not all that bad. They need to secure accept these items and insure the pax against airline loss or theft or damage if these items

While it is possible for a casual traveler to use the laptop provided by their hotel or the desktops on the ship, it's not possible for a student studying abroad or a business person among many other demographic categories

Also this ban means that those that don't have the iPhone as a backup will be stuck

I predict and as mentioned in another post that electronics rentals will be big business and rather costly to travelers

Also the tour operators who rely on electronic communications with there customers will be inconvenienced

And iPhone batteries die quickly so the backup battery is needed of course

Plus a data plan will now be almost mandatory just for peace of mind

While most can and will adapt as I will by just bringing an iPhone but I'll tell you this, I'm really glad I did my world traveling when I did because now I'm looking domestic for trips as well as cruising only out of my short drive away homeport but unfortunately that home port is not in Florida or Rome.

So what do you think the Airline might charge for your new procedure? This ordeal is not of the Airlines makings. This is 100% TSA. President Trump wants to keep you safe, regardless of how inconvenient and ludicrous the plan is. So now, as you suggest, the Airlines will work up a new service fee to hose us with? How much, per flight, are you willing to pay to have your hand checked electronics plan for that $250 laptop? How's $50 each way sound?

Air Canada may be in for a huge bonanza!

So what do you think the Airline might charge for your new procedure? This ordeal is not of the Airlines makings. This is 100% TSA. President Trump wants to keep you safe, regardless of how inconvenient and ludicrous the plan is. So now, as you suggest, the Airlines will work up a new service fee to hose us with? How much, per flight, are you willing to pay to have your hand checked electronics plan for that $250 laptop? How's $50 each way sound?

Air Canada may be in for a huge bonanza!

Yup it will be costly and inconvenient to implement for the airlines and yes of course we know it is not of the airlines making and I don't recall anyone saying it is

However if this ban is implemented it will be one giant headache for the airlines regardless because the reality is that laptops/tablets/cameras etc will undoubtedly be damaged or stolen or misrouted which will be100% the airline responsibility so yes, they will have to do what they must to avoid this.

If they are smart they will not pass this cost on to the consumer because we are talking perhaps 2 or 3 more employees assigned at a special check in desk for 3 hours at most and if you look at the cost plus benefits for them you really are talking perhaps $1000 per flight and if you want to spread that out over a 300 plus pax long haul flight the cost is negligible but the cost of a secured crush proof pick proof travel container will be extra. Hey this might be a good new business to get into. Damage proof trackable pick proof containers for electronics.

Also now pax who never check luggage will now be forced to check it which could in many cases actually make money for the airlines and then my check in desk idea is moot of course but that assumes the pax isn't concerned about how their expensive electronics are transported.

The number of airline employees would be directly related to the number of pax so less/more pax les/more computer checkin people and as a peripheral bonus eventually pax will stop bringing these electronics if they are not imperative for them to have so less check in costs

I know I've decided just today to leave my iPad home and work with just my iPhone because I don't check luggage

Less to worry about

Edited by Crusin6

Hi there

I am sure this will happen and over time will expand. There is nothing about the world we live in that would suggest that in a month or two or xxx someone will all of sudden decide that they can reverse a decision like this.

The only thing I can think of is how will the airlines deal with the backlash. I think there should be some way them implementing the restrictions while accommodating their customers. Since these electronics need to be placed in with the checked baggage and not carried onto the plane, people are going to want to feel some sort of security from theft, damage, etc...

What I am envisioning and wouldn't be too complicated to put in place would be having secure box at the boarding gate, passengers would be allowed to use a protective envelope to deposit their device and given a claim sticker. Once boarding is complete this box would be locked and brought to the baggage compartment just like my wife's wheelchair. It will be brought up and the same way. It may be somewhat inconvenient but not as inconvenient as the alternative.

This is a chance for the airline industry to get ahead of the curve. They have shown a lack of motivation in the past, but right now most companies are really concerned about their image and hopefully might thinking ahead. :) As they say, where there is a will there is a way. We can only hope.

Excellent idea and it's also a great way for the airlines to improve their reputations with the general public

Come on CEOs and operations execs get in the band wagon with this and show us you deserve your jobs and pay checks!!!!

I have a question..

Would this ban also apply for say an Air France or Lufthansa flight or say a delta codeshare flight

NYC to Paris

Or Düsseldorf to JFK?

It appears that in places where electronics have to be checked, such as Dubai, this is taking place at the aircraft door during boarding. Boxes are provided, into which you place your electronics.

It appears that in places where electronics have to be checked, such as Dubai, this is taking place at the aircraft door during boarding. Boxes are provided, into which you place your electronics.

Then what do they do with the boxes? Put them in the hold or keep them in the cabin?

Is it one big box or individual boxes?

Do they give receipts?

I know these issues can be solved without while still being allowed to travel with carry on only and having to check electronics in the hold

I'd just like them to hurry it up

From a leisure traveler's viewpoint I could get along without my laptop on a trip (would not trust it in checked bag at all!) but not my e-reader or DH's Ipad. From what I understand this prohibition only applies to flights to, not from the US. Good thing we return from Europe this October via a TA cruise- we both plan on using our laptops on the crossing to download and edit photos over the 8 sea days total.

It must be nice to be able to make rules affecting the everyday person when one has the luxury of flying via private aircraft.

I have a question..

Would this ban also apply for say an Air France or Lufthansa flight or say a delta codeshare flight

NYC to Paris

Or Düsseldorf to JFK?

This is about international flights departing from the US. While the comment to fly via Canada might work, to get to that departing Canadian airport, would be an international flight departing from the US.

This is about international flights departing from the US. While the comment to fly via Canada might work, to get to that departing Canadian airport, would be an international flight departing from the US.

This week's report is about adding the electronics ban to flights departing from the EU to the United States. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/us-ban-laptops-flights-europe-47374102

That's not to say that somewhere in our future the ban might extend to flights departing from the US or domestic flights for that matter.

This week's report is about adding the electronics ban to flights departing from the EU to the United States. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/us-ban-laptops-flights-europe-47374102

OK. So as mentioned by the the poster I quoted, it doesn't matter if it is codeshared, or who it is operated by, per the example, a flight from Dusseldorf to JFK would face the ban.

What I am envisioning and wouldn't be too complicated to put in place would be having secure box at the boarding gate, passengers would be allowed to use a protective envelope to deposit their device and given a claim sticker. Once boarding is complete this box would be locked...

So you envision this process occurring at the gate? Do you realize how many extra employees that would mean at large/hub airports? And if it happens at the gate, then you'll need scanning devices at every gate, or pax will just say "no I don't have anything with me" and keep their laptop and kindle hidden in their carry on bag.

So what do you think the Airline might charge for your new procedure? This ordeal is not of the Airlines makings. This is 100% TSA.

Actutally it's DHS, not TSA.

I have a question..

This is about international flights departing from the US.

Yes and No.

It's about flights coming TO the US from Europe, not departing from the US, and yes, it would mean all flights. Wouldn't matter if it's a US carrier, foreign carrier, codeshare flight blah blah blah.

So you envision this process occurring at the gate? Do you realize how many extra employees that would mean at large/hub airports? And if it happens at the gate, then you'll need scanning devices at every gate, or pax will just say "no I don't have anything with me" and keep their laptop and kindle hidden in their carry on bag.

Yes it is happening at the gate (in some places) -- they bubble wrap your electronics, put them individually in boxes, secure them with a cable tie, and take them to the baggage hold. Then they bring the boxes out to baggage claim where you show your ticket and ID to get your box of electronics back. That way you can use them in the airport until boarding, rather than having them stowed 2 or 3 hours earlier when you check a bag. At least Emirates (airline) are doing it that way. They recommend checking them to avoid long delays at the gate and say all hand luggage will be searched, but it is a service they offer. I believe Turkish Airlines also offers that service.

So you envision this process occurring at the gate? Do you realize how many extra employees that would mean at large/hub airports? And if it happens at the gate, then you'll need scanning devices at every gate, or pax will just say "no I don't have anything with me" and keep their laptop and kindle hidden in their carry on bag

If you've flown to the US with any regularity I'm surprised you've not seen secondary security at the gate. I've seen it done randomly to certain passengers but also mandatory for all.

At airports/terminals with many flights to the US there has been a second full blown security check set up in the secure area with all the gates behind it dedicated for US bound flights. BA had a "Little America" in T5 at LHR in December 2009 for several months after the guy tried to set the explosives on the NW flight.