Sunscreen tips?

Do any of the pasty people out there have any recommendations for sunscreen for my husband and son. Do you have a favorite brand? or are swim shirts, etc. recommended for a Western Caribbean itinerary (in November). I can get away with a lower SPF but I don't want them to get fried on the first day.

Thanks in advance!

Do any of the pasty people out there have any recommendations for sunscreen for my husband and son. Do you have a favorite brand? or are swim shirts, etc. recommended for a Western Caribbean itinerary (in November). I can get away with a lower SPF but I don't want them to get fried on the first day.

Thanks in advance!

Since you are going on a Western Caribbean cruise, please take into consideration that your sunscreen choice can affect coral and sealife. Many places in Mexico (for example) only want certain brands (ot formulas) used. It is best to select a product like Coral Safe (can be found on Amazon). It will have a white tone on the skin when used properly, but does work well (be sure to apply as recommended!)

My whole family is red headed and ghost like and we are going on Western Escape in September. My go to brand is actually Walgreens brand. (Weird that I prefer store brand to name brand but that is what works best and goes on easiest for us.) They go up to SPF 70 (50 works for us though). We will be in swim shirts and hats all week. I plan on taking 5 bottles!

One thing to remember, each person's skin reacts differently to whatever you put on your skin so test a few brands out and when you find one that you like stock up. My son and I both had bad reactions (itchy skin) to Banana Boat and it didn't work - we still burned

Consumer Reports just released their list of the top rated sunscreens. The Wal-Mart brand (Equate Sport SPF 30) was ranked really high for the 2nd year in a row. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/sunscreens/buying-guide

I wear sunscreen but am not a stickler about it because I don't burn, so I'm not someone who generally remembers to re-apply after I've left the house (or ship) and I don't ever rent umbrellas on the beach, but if I am wearing sunscreen and I go to the beach to get into the water, I do make a conscious effort to either not wear it, wash it off, or choose an environmentally friendly sunscreen that doesn't have certain chemicals in them that kill the coral reefs. I don't know how well that works for people with sensitive and pale skin, but it should be taken into consideration to help the ocean.

The mineral sunscreens do work well and are safe on the environment, but they are best for super pale people, since it leaves a white coating all over your skin, and anyone with a tan or darker skin naturally, will look ridiculous (like you put lotion on and forgot to rub it in).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in Florida and often go to the beach or other outdoor activities. I would say in general don't get spray on. I see people doing spray on and I can literally see the sunscreen being taken away by the wind and not going on people's actual skin. I have also seen people with white lines on the skin with red blotches in between from not rubbing it in properly

I'm a pale skinned girl and I really like Neutrogena's ultra sheer lotion and spray. I'm a bit obsessive about it because I do burn easily & pretty bad so I go for a minimum of 70 spf. They have a 100 spf that I use for my face and really like it. My kids thankfully have my husband's complexion and they all have beautiful tans but I still spray them down.

Look for the % of zinc. Really good sunblockers will have at least 5%. Look at children's sunscreens with zinc.

Be sure to put it on knees and the tops of your feet.

I swim in a long sleeved Ron Jon surfing shirt. The brand doesn't matter but surfers know you need protection from the sun. I make jokes on beaches that you can always tell the people from Florida. Because we are covered up with sleeves and hats!

Be careful the first day! And People get bad sunburns on cloudy windy days because it doesn't feel so hot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw this on a Today show segment last week. Interesting that 2 of 5 are Walmart generic brands (Equate)

http://www.today.com/health/consumer-reports-reveals-best-sunscreens-buy-2017-t111677

I use, and like, Neurogena 45 for my face and legs. I use a Coolbar, Rashguard, Surf- type shirt when I snorkel/sail. I swear by them and like that I don't need to apply sunscreen several times to those areas. Amazon and swimoutlet are good sources to look.

Last cruise I forget to pack them and, although I applied screen several times when sailing/snorkeling, my back burnt in some spots.:mad:

Thanks in advance!

I am a big believer in rash guards and full coverage swimwear. My dad has had abnormal cells removed from his face and body, and my aunt recently had a melanoma excised from her nose, so I'm not taking ANY chances, particularly because I am so pale (half my genes are Scottish and Nordic.)

I am not the least concerned with looking a certain way (other than "not burnt" and once I started wearing swim shirts and pants I stopped getting burns. Check Lands' End for an great selection of tops. Men have it better in that they can get trunks that are quite long, but I've been able to find capri swim tights on coolibar.com that work for me.

I also wear water shoes so my feet are covered, which means I only have to protect from the elbow down, my lower legs, and my face and neck. Having fewer locations to worry about makes me more likely to take the time to reapply sunscreen.

The brands I like are Blue Lizard, Citrix, Raw Elements, Solbar and Coola. These aren't your usual drugstore brands - cheaper sunscreens tend to be all chemical which aren't my favorite. I prefer zinc-based products which tend to be pricier.

Good luck to your family and do your best to keep from getting burned - a bad burn is a vacation killer.

I'm Floridian with pale skin. The biggest problems I see tourists having are these:

1. They don't reapply often enough. Especially in the water, you need to reapply every 2 hours.

2. As another poster mentioned, spray sunblocks are convenient but many people mis-apply them. Use caution and read the directions if you're going that route.

3. My father has had multiple rounds of malignant melanomas, so we're huge fans of rash guards, hats, etc.

4. If you're in the water, be sure to use a water-proof or sport version of your sunblock

And the biggest tip - the tropical sun is FAR MORE INTENSE than any sun you're accustomed to in northern latitudes. Even if it doesn't appear hotter or more intense, it is. Trust me.

We as being from Manchester in the UK are rarely exposed to sun and being somebody who is very pale and and blonde I have to be very careful as I get sun stroke very easily and also I am prone to prickly heat. I discovered sun care central products which I believe are FL based and I have never looked back. With having pscorissis as well for the creams not to irritate is great and I can get a slight deep magnolia shade !! The creams they sell in the UK are not very good but anything is better than nothing !!

Sun screen typically gives me a horrible rash, so I use a long sleeve rash guard with spf instead. I can swim in it and not worry about slathering on sun screen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have found if it says Aqua first it generally irritates my skin. I also find as having a coconut allergy I have to look very carefully at the ingredients. but the sun care central that is sold in spain and the canary islands has never caused me an issue. Its about 30+ uk pounds for a quite small bottle but to me it is worth it !

One of my dermatologist years ago recommended Vanicream and I use it and haven't burned in years.

I think if you find something that works you stick to it. we get very little high UV here in manchester so as soon as we go in the sun we either wrinkle like a prune or resemble a strawberry !!! to me a hat is essential and I reapply my sunscreen on a very regular basis. Too many brits see the sun, strip off and then suffer after. I find Aloe Vera a great help as it rehydrates and softens my skin. I also avoid alcohol in the sun as it seems to affect my natural histamines as well as giving me a sore head lol !!!

Since you are going on a Western Caribbean cruise, please take into consideration that your sunscreen choice can affect coral and sealife. Many places in Mexico (for example) only want certain brands (ot formulas) used. It is best to select a product like Coral Safe (can be found on Amazon). It will have a white tone on the skin when used properly, but does work well (be sure to apply as recommended!)

This is very true. On Cozumel, at least, you could not use any old sunscreen - it had to be one approved to not be harmful to the reef.

I've been using the Walmart brand Equate for the last couple of years SPF50-then I saw the consumer reports - win win !

Not sticky like some & really works-always the lotion-never the spray [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mom has had several surgeries for skin cancer so I am obsessive about sunscreen. Banana boat and Nutrogena are my go to brands (SPF 50+) then I use a zinc stick on my face, neck and ears. I a!so wear rash guards that I've gotten from Lands End

Some good recommendations already provided, so I'll just share my rule of thumb. Apply sunscreen in the room in front of a mirror so you get lotion in all the exposed nooks & crannies, at least 20-30 mins before going in the sun. I live in FL and can't tell you how many times I see people spray on at the beach then go right into the water. Then a few hours later they look like lobsters! It's a shame when I see this happen to young kids.

Use AT LEAST 15 SPF, if not 30. Anything over that is a waste of money. Here's the thing, tho. You HAVE to apply it 30 mins PRIOR to going in the sun. Don't wait until you're at the pool or beach. Do it before you put on your bathing suit. Then...even if it's "waterproof", remember, it's not "towel proof"....if you dry off with a towel, you have just wiped off your protection.

You need to reapply every 2 hours....whether you dry off or not. It doesn't last forever! 1 full ounce per adult... (that's a shot glass full). Most folks do not use enough, or use it correctly.

I have seen lobster red, miserable folks after the 1st day...don't be one of them!