FYI: New TSA Screening Procedures on the Way

nelblu

Per Conde Nast Traveler, May 25, 2017

Get ready for more bins.

If the tediousness of airport security riles you up, you might want to take a seat for this news, as more changes to the screening process could be on the way. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Transportation Security Administration plans to change policy around baggage screening. Specifically? The new rules would include requiring travelers to remove all food and electronics larger than cell phones from carry-on bags and move them into separate security bins, similar to how laptops are currently screened.

At present, the measures are being tested at ten U.S. airports including Los Angeles International, Boston's Logan International, and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International, with plans to eventually expand the policy nationwide after screeners have been fully trained. The agency said it had no immediate plans to roll out the new screening procedures at all airports, according to the New York Times. PreCheck passengers will not be affected.

Despite the flood of news surrounding potential policy change, TSA officials say these new screening procedures have been in the works for two years, and are unrelated to the recent electronics ban; rather, they are part of continuously developing counterterrorism and efficiency efforts. Given that passengers are packing their carry-ons to the brim, TSA officials say, it can often take longer to discern what's a threat—and what's not. By removing items from bags, the agency says, its screeners can scan items more quickly and reduce the number of manual bag checks.

You mean like iPads? I usually take mine out anyway but don't put it in a separate bin. Last time I flew, they were talking about emptying out my mouthwash to decide if the quantity was correct or not. I told them to just pitch it if it was that big a deal!

You mean like iPads? I usually take mine out anyway but don't put it in a separate bin. Last time I flew, they were talking about emptying out my mouthwash to decide if the quantity was correct or not. I told them to just pitch it if it was that big a deal!

Yes. The article does not specify if it needs to be placed by itself or with other articles, such as clothing. It's a good thing that we are TSA pre-check.

Get ready for more bins.

If the tediousness of airport security riles you up, you might want to take a seat for this news, as more changes to the screening process could be on the way. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Transportation Security Administration plans to change policy around baggage screening. Specifically? The new rules would include requiring travelers to remove all food and electronics larger than cell phones from carry-on bags and move them into separate security bins, similar to how laptops are currently screened.

At present, the measures are being tested at ten U.S. airports including Los Angeles International, Boston's Logan International, and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International, with plans to eventually expand the policy nationwide after screeners have been fully trained. The agency said it had no immediate plans to roll out the new screening procedures at all airports, according to the New York Times. PreCheck passengers will not be affected.

Despite the flood of news surrounding potential policy change, TSA officials say these new screening procedures have been in the works for two years, and are unrelated to the recent electronics ban; rather, they are part of continuously developing counterterrorism and efficiency efforts. Given that passengers are packing their carry-ons to the brim, TSA officials say, it can often take longer to discern what's a threat—and what's not. By removing items from bags, the agency says, its screeners can scan items more quickly and reduce the number of manual bag checks.

I wish they would just charge for carry on bags (bigger than a backpack). It would improve the time to go through security and people could board/disembark the plane quicker.

I wish they would just charge for carry on bags (bigger than a backpack). It would improve the time to go through security and people could board/disembark the plane quicker.

Many low cost carriers like Spirit do exactly that. As a matter of fact, United has a cheaper fare price that charges forcarry-ons and allow only 1 free personal item that must fit beneaththe seat in front of you. In addition, you can't select a seat untilassigned to you when checking-in.

Get ready for more bins.

I don't really have a problem with any of this. I'd rather this than my plane get blown up.

I don't really have a problem with any of this. I'd rather this than my plane get blown up.

Agree, I'm surprised that it does include cell phones as these have the power of portable computers.

I signed up for TSA pre-check and don't even have to take my laptop out of the bag. I can leave my shoes on too. It was definitely worth it. I went online to fill out a form and schedule an appointment for the same time I needed to be at the airport for my flight. The entire process took about 10 minutes at the airport and it took only three days to get my pre-check number.

I wouldn't be sure that this wouldn't affect TSA pre check.

The last time I flew in April of this year (round trip Tampa -Baltimore), the TSA agents in both airports were doing a manual search of the carry on luggage (I'm talking about the large carry on suitcases combined with the large computer bags) on the TSA pre-check line.

The regular security lines were moving faster than the TSA pre-check.

I signed up for TSA pre-check and don't even have to take my laptop out of the bag. I can leave my shoes on too. It was definitely worth it. I went online to fill out a form and schedule an appointment for the same time I needed to be at the airport for my flight. The entire process took about 10 minutes at the airport and it took only three days to get my pre-check number.

For about $15 more over a 5 year period we got Global Entry which includes Customs.

For about $15 more over a 5 year period we got Global Entry which includes Customs.

Depending upon your location, it can be very difficult to do Global Entry. There was nowhere less than 2 hours each way for DD & SIL to go for Global Entry but they could go for TSA Precheck interviews 15 minutes from home.

Depending upon your location, it can be very difficult to do Global Entry. There was nowhere less than 2 hours each way for DD & SIL to go for Global Entry but they could go for TSA Precheck interviews 15 minutes from home.

Too bad. We had to go to Newark Int'l airport for interview & finger printing, but ours is only 25 minutes ride.

My only concern about putting all of my electronics in one of those baskets is that I would have a real problem being separated from my electronics and not being able to keep my eye on them. I wouldn't want someone to pick up my electronics "by mistake" and walk off with them while my attention was diverted at the metal detector. That is why, when I get back on a cruise ship, I don't put my bag through the x-ray machine until I am the next one to go through the metal detector.

Eileen

Somewhat related to this. Just saw a news vignette that the head of Homeland Security is now considering a proposal to ban all laptops from carry on luggage for international flights to and from the US. It would be interesting to see peoples' reaction to that if it goes through.

In Europe we've had this security practice for years. Once you take it into account when packing, it's not a big deal (you can't stow them into your checked luggage either because of lithium batteries).

I didn't realize it wasn't mandatory in the States and I've taken them into a separate bin there as well.

And I travel w/ a MacBook, two tablets, a Kindle and two iPhones plus spare chargers [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone who is interested in GE will travel frequently and can easily schedule an interview for GE while transiting an airport. We did this in Houston on our way to FLL.

It is annoying that so much energy is wasted at security screening bags that get gate checked anyway when the OH bins are full.

As mentioned by another poster, United and now also American offer a supposedly more discounted flight where you only get one carry-on and board last when there isn't any room for the 2nd bag anyway.

But I don't think that will solve the problem as a lot of folks check one bag but don't want to pay even more for the 2nd and if any of your electronics have a lithium battery you can't check them anyway.

Wouldn't mind the inconvenience if I thought for a second it improved our safety - but I don't.

It is annoying that so much energy is wasted at security screening bags that get gate checked anyway when the OH bins are full.

As mentioned by another poster, United and now also American offer a supposedly more discounted flight where you only get one carry-on and board last when there isn't any room for the 2nd bag anyway.

But I don't think that will solve the problem as a lot of folks check one bag but don't want to pay even more for the 2nd and if any of your electronics have a lithium battery you can't check them anyway.

Wouldn't mind the inconvenience if I thought for a second it improved our safety - but I don't.

At least American, with their lowest price (as of yesterday) allow a carry-on and selection of seats. They, however, have a different pricing structure assigned to their seats for domestic & international.

Eileen, totally agree about belongings disappearing. And, in fact, have had this happen to me at LAX. If traveling with another member of my family now, we have a whole system of sending one person through security, THEN sending the belongings and second person through. When questioned why we are separating and behaving this way, we have told TSA that we have had items disappear in the past, and then they are less grumpy. And, by the way, we suspect it was a TSA employee that took our tablet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app