Norwegian Airlines Becomes More and More Viable for Transatlantic Cruise Passengers

SelectSys

I saw in the news today that Norwegian is opening up Rome for nonstop transatlantic service to the US. With this announcement, Norwegian will be up to 52 unique routes/city pairs between the US and Europe. What an accomplishment in so little time! The advantage of point to point, non stop travel was certainly demonstrated in last weekend's London debacle.

One of Norwegian's advantages includes the ability to book sane prices for one-way travel between the US and Europe which is key for those who enjoy transatlantic crossings. Here to fore, the only way was to book a throw away return ticket, use mileage points or plan way ahead for two crossings in opposite directions.

I find Norwegian's product to be appealing to a class of passengers for the same reason ultra discounters are winning passengers worldwide. I will certainly investigate their offerings the next time I go to Europe.

Here is a link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/05/31/norwegian-air-fly-italy-three-us-cities/102338008/

We took nine flights (out of 13) on Norwegian Air Shuttle including JFK to Stockholm. All flights were on time or early. No lost luggage. I would fly them again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the vote of confidence based on direct experience. With 9 flights, you are starting to build up a "track record" flying with Norwegian.

If you live in one of their gateway cities you may be fine. They don't interline with anyone or seem to have baggage privileges with the majors. I checked prices using them on the intl leg of a trip, with a major on the domestic leg. They were never less expensive than a major on the combined journey, plus you had all the hassles. So you guys in NYC, go for it.

I can't State from actual experience, but I've read that PE on them is nowhere near the level of PE on the major carriers.

If you live in one of their gateway cities you may be fine. They don't interline with anyone or seem to have baggage privileges with the majors. I checked prices using them on the intl leg of a trip, with a major on the domestic leg. They were never less expensive than a major on the combined journey, plus you had all the hassles. So you guys in NYC, go for it.

I can't State from actual experience, but I've read that PE on them is nowhere near the level of PE on the major carriers.

I never said they would work for all situations, however for us living in or near a gateway this provides a compelling choice today. Also, their route structure isn't static with 28 more 787 aircraft joining the fleet as well as an order for 30 A321LR's. Many/most of these aircraft will be devoted to transatlantic service giving even more choice in the future.

Also, the devaluation of service (e.g., basic economy) by the legacy majors will make the differences lessen for many passengers.

Also, BA is kicking off a new international airline based in Barcelona which will dovetail nicely with their Vueling brand: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40105820

The good news for cruise passengers (actually all air travelers) will be that more options are coming to compete for your hard earned money!

If you want to know about Norwegian's plans you can read their most recent investor presentation: https://www.norwegian.com/globalassets/ip/media/about-us/company/investor-relations/may-2017-bonds-presentation.pdf

Edited by SelectSys