Precruise hotel - Seattle

Sandi07054

We are looking for a hotel 1 night precruise in Seattle. So expensive downtown - do you think it might be worth staying near the airport and then taking an uber downtown since we will only be there one day?

Just feel $300 is a lot for one night. Going June 2018

thanks for your help!

If you look around the board there are many discussions on exactly what you are proposing, including some hotel recommendations, town car suggestions, and even the possibility (not a good recommendation, tho) of using light rail to get near (but not to) the piers.

Light rail is good for staying near airport night before cruise and visiting downtown day/evening of arrival then taxi/uber to port next day. There are some hotels across International Blvd. (SR 99) that are near the light rail station. Combo cost of hotel and taxi/uber would be less than downtown. Light rail with luggage is a huge hassle and still requires transport to pier 91 although someone in our roll call plans to walk it as they have done before.

We tend to stay around the Space Needle ('Seattle Center' on most hotel maps) for a balance between cost and convenience. Sure, it's even cheaper at the airport - but if you plan to Uber both ways then factor in the cost of that vs. being able to walk around for free to many of the popular attractions. Hotels here also usually offer shuttle buses to the pier for a very low cost - $5pp last time we stayed - and even regular metered cab fares would be under $15 to either pier from the area.

La Quinta is I think still the newest of the bargain hotels, though a bit further to walk to most sites than say Mediterranean Inn (great rooftop patio, many restos/bars very close but no AC in most rooms so you need to be able to handle sleeping in warm conditions). Maxwell doesn't offer much of a discount compared to downtown hotels any more, but is very nice - and their more modest sister, Hotel Five, offers similarly-well-equipped rooms just smaller and with louder decor with occasional bargain pricing.

Do check the hotel descriptions carefully for all budget places anywhere downtown - on their own websites as well as Expedia, Tripadvisor etc. - so you know exactly what you're getting into. If you are deaf/have good earplugs and don't mind no AC you might find places like Belltown or Mediterranean are perfect for you - but if heat/noise is a problem for quality of sleep like it is for us, chain hotels like Hampton are going to be well worth the extra cost in summer.

We are looking for a hotel 1 night precruise in Seattle. So expensive downtown - do you think it might be worth staying near the airport and then taking an uber downtown since we will only be there one day?

Just feel $300 is a lot for one night. Going June 2018

thanks for your help!

If you are reward member for some of the various hotel chains, you can get some pretty good deals. Also being an AAA member gets discounts as does booking in advance and paying in full... so that $300 rate could be even lower and then it may be worth staying downtown.

I knew which hotel I wanted and when they ran the promotion where if you paid in advance it saved you 25%, I jumped on it- so definitely keep looking. Prices fluctuate all the time. When you see a price you like- take it (and if it's refundable rate- be sure to still keep looking for even better deals)

We are flying in the night before around 8pm and staying at the Best Western SeaTac. We're taking one of the shuttles (can't remember right off hand who) to port the next day. We're paying $189 for the night but my wife has a $100 BW gift card so that makes it under a Ben to stay

We just came back from Alaska Cruise and stayed at International District. Rented a condo for a couple of days. We used light rail with three suites cases in tow. The light rail is easy to use and we took lyft from condo to Pier 91. It cost us $23.00 with tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are staying post cruise one night. Started by looking through the travel sites to see what hotels were available, and the amenities offered, reading various reviews and found most hotels less expensive through their own websites. Decided on Marriott Springhill Suites. Was about 295 on most travel sites. Booked with hotel for 263 (Senior Rate) no prepayment needed. Rate dropped last week on the travel sites so I called the hotel and got my reservation modified to 220!

If you want something with no frills but is clean and well managed you might want to try and book the Moore Hotel - I stayed there last year and are booked there again for my fall cruises. It is located a couple of blocks to the Pike Place Market and a couple of blocks from Westlake Mall which is the terminus for light rail and the start of the Monorail to the Space Needle.

Here's a link to there web site:

http://www.moorehotel.com/

You aren't likely to find them on any of the hotel sites or discount sites as they keep there prices fairly consistent by not discounting them out to brokers etc. You should be able to get a room there for around $125.00 US + taxes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

If you want something with no frills but is clean and well managed you might want to try and book the Moore Hotel - I stayed there last year and are booked there again for my fall cruises. It is located a couple of blocks to the Pike Place Market and a couple of blocks from Westlake Mall which is the terminus for light rail and the start of the Monorail to the Space Needle.

Here's a link to there web site:

http://www.moorehotel.com/

You aren't likely to find them on any of the hotel sites or discount sites as they keep there prices fairly consistent by not discounting them out to brokers etc. You should be able to get a room there for around $125.00 US + taxes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

We are booked here post cruise this September. One caveat to keep in mind is that they have several levels of room types- the most basic have shared bathrooms.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 Hampton Inns near the SeaTac Airport. Have stayed pre-cruise at both several times. Both have free pick-up shuttle at airport, are super clean, offer a free breakfast and have shuttle transportation to the pier in the morning for a nominal fee (last year it was $12 pp). You can't beat it! I just booked the one on 28th Street for a September cruise and paid $145

Has anyone ever stayed at the Staybridge Suites Seattle - Fremont? I contacted the hotel and they claim to be 5 minutes from Pier 91 and around 25 minutes from the airport. I'm concerned because I've read several reviews of this hotel from several different sites and no one ever mentions staying there precruise....

Has anyone ever stayed at the Staybridge Suites Seattle - Fremont? I contacted the hotel and they claim to be 5 minutes from Pier 91 and around 25 minutes from the airport. I'm concerned because I've read several reviews of this hotel from several different sites and no one ever mentions staying there precruise....

Just my view, but the location really sucks. It's on a very busy arterial, miles from any restaurants or shops, and while they offer a free shuttle to downtown, you'd really have to rely on it or else spend a lot on cabs; it's not walkable from much of anything. Five minutes to Pier 91 assumes the driver is running every red light and mowing down every pedestrian on the way, and 25 minutes to the airport is maybe doable at 3 in the morning. Staybridge is a branch of IHG (Holiday Inns et al) and like Marriott, has a way of exaggerating the benefits of their location to make it sound better than it is. This hotel is a prime case of this practice.

There are 2 Hampton Inns near the SeaTac Airport. Have stayed pre-cruise at both several times. Both have free pick-up shuttle at airport, are super clean, offer a free breakfast and have shuttle transportation to the pier in the morning for a nominal fee (last year it was $12 pp). You can't beat it! I just booked the one on 28th Street for a September cruise and paid $145

I've booked a Hilton location precruise that is on the light rail line, but I like the idea of a shuttle to the pier. Are either of those Hampton Inns near the light rail? We are spending a couple of days in Seattle precruise and would like to just use the light rail to get around rather than renting a car/taxi/Uber. Thanks!

I began by searching Hilton properties, desiring to stay where I had previously. However, the two night minimum ended that. I then considered convenience, etc., and found it was going to be difficult to find something under $350-$400 that I was willing to stay in. I called HAL. We are (quite happily) staying at the Fairmont Olympic with transfers for $500. We get in early Saturday before our ship leaves on Sunday, and I wanted to do as we please, without having to bother with transportation.

I just stayed at the Hampton Inn Bellevue Downtown Seattle for 2 nights and it was fantastic!!! Area around it is nice and clean, with creeks and lotsa flora and fauna. Nice Rooms, Free Breakfast. Trader Joes and Whole Foods for snacks and bevies within a 5 minute walk and we Uber'd into Seattle for $23 each way, when we went in for our Ride the Ducks City Tour and MLB games. It was about $200 a night.

Just got back from my post-cruise stay at the Springhill Suites and it was fabulous! I wish my stateroom was at least half this size and I would have been in heaven. They also have a really good breakfast and a complimentary shuttle to the Space Needle and Westlake Station for the monorail. Since it is almost a year till your stay, keep checking prices as it get nearer your departure date. The price on our room dropped 2 weeks before we got there.

Check out Cedarbrook Lodge. It's 5 min from the airport (and has a free shuttle), has an excellent free breakfast and is a hotel you'd want to stay in for longer than just a layover. It's one of the best kept secrets of the Seattle hotel scene.

• 2 weeks later...
Orbitz shows some two star hotels in the range of $200. Some folks use Priceline.com

There is a old, old neon sign on the east side of 1st Avenue down toward the south end of downtown that reads "Rooms-$.75 per night" that I laugh about every time I see it. I've got to stop and take a picture of it some day. I often wonder how old that sign is!

Tom

There is a old, old neon sign on the east side of 1st Avenue down toward the south end of downtown that reads "Rooms-$.75 per night" that I laugh about every time I see it. I've got to stop and take a picture of it some day. I often wonder how old that sign is!

Tom

A picture attached and also the history of rooming houses in Seattle,

http://www.sightline.org/2012/11/14/rooming-houses-historys-affordable-quarters/