Airlines

chumley28540

Is your actual question "What are the baggage policies and/or fees for TAP?"

The definitive answer would come, not from someone's past experience, but from the....gasp....TAP website, which would have this spelled out.

My question is actually a general review of that airline. (gasp)

Is your actual question "What are the baggage policies and/or fees for TAP?"

The definitive answer would come, not from someone's past experience, but from the....gasp....TAP website, which would have this spelled out.

My question is actually a general review of that airline.
Then it would have helped if you'd asked that question, rather than including an irrelevant observation about checked bag charges. Like FlyerTalker, I'd read your post as a question about TAP's baggage policies.

In any event, a "general review" may not help you very much. What's your planned itinerary? Will you be flying long-haul, short-haul, or both? In the same way as on pretty much every large airline, the products may be quite different depending on the routes on which you're flying.

In the same way as on pretty much every large airline, the products may be quite different depending on the routes on which you're flying.

And also the fare class that you book. So it helps to know if you intend to fly coach or business (or for airlines that offer it, premium economy)

You are making this more difficult than it needed to be. Sorry I asked!
I suspect that the problem is that it is a more difficult question than you realised.

Would it be easier for you if we just said "It's a great airline. The planes are new, the food is tasty, the seats are roomy and the stewardesses are pretty"?

You'd probably feel much happier about choosing the airline, but you would not be any better informed than you currently are - not least because you have no idea whether any of those statements applies to the flights you might be on, or even whether any of those statements is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not really. A thread started with the totally generic title of "Airlines". Then, a general question about TAP. A comment that they charge for bags.

There was no way for anyone to address something that is that nebulous. And, it sure seemed that you did absolutely no research on your own and wanted to have someone else do it for you. Sorry you felt otherwise...

TAP is an airline based in Portugal. Just as air-worthy as any other airline. To be able to fly into a US airport, they do have to be certified. Coach is coach - cramped, bad food. You'll have to look to the airline website to see the aircraft types used, the seating arrangement (3/4/3 or 2/5/2 or 3/3/3, etc.) and if they charge for food, bags, lavatory use. If you know which specific aircraft type you will have, go to SeatGuru and check out if you can find a coach seat that isn't Hel! for the 5-6 hours you are stuck in the seat.

Next time, try to be a little more specific with what you want. You won't get the deserved "abuse" you got next time...

My question is actually a general review of that airline. (gasp)

How did anyone make it more difficult? You asked for a review. In response you were told that if you're looking for info on the passenger experience, it varies by route and fare class, so knowing a little more about your actual booking plans would help people give you a more customized answer. It's kinda like saying, "has anyone flown Delta? What's it like?" The answer will vary greatly whether coming from someone who flew them on one of their Barbie jets on a commuter route that was too short to even offer coke and peanuts, vs. someone who flew business class on a long haul flight, and enjoyed all the perks and comforts that go with that.

I didnt read from the OPs post that they were asking about baggage.Why is this board so arsy,just try and help the great unwashed now and then,cheers,Brian.

Pardon if I speak for some others, but we are more than happy to help. Some of us could sell our knowledge, but we give it away for free. And in great detail and clarity. This is not a "happy chatty social" forum if only because of the subject matter. So it's real.

However, there's the other part of the bargain. The "great unwashed" (as YOU put it) needs to be at least a wee bit specific in their question. General questions get general answers. Asking "has anyone flown XYZ airlines?" should get answers of "Yes" or "No". Oh, you mean you want to know about inflight experience and comfort? That's a different question. We're not Kreskin.

Thought problem: What does the question "Has anyone cruised on Carnival?" really ask? Same thing about an airline. And for a "general review", well as mentioned that requires knowing more about the specifics of the intended flights.

And I can only guess what "arsy" means.

I didnt read from the OPs post that they were asking about baggage.Why is this board so arsy,just try and help the great unwashed now and then,cheers,Brian.

Brian, I just mostly come in and read this board to learn. Over the past few years, I have seen how helpful the frequent flyers on this board can be when they are given specific information. They know the equipment and relevant seating ins and outs and will frequently look up what the airline is flying and advise. I have frequently seen them think of different routings and possible flights for people....once they know the person's parameters.

Perhaps there should be a sticky warning on top, that the quality of the answer will depend on the quality of the question. But, if you keep that in mind when treading onto this board...what they are trying to achieve makes sense.

Hi,Im not the first to point out the arsyness (its a british thing,Im sure Globaliser will explain) sometimes on this board.If I being one of the unwashed, lol, can sus out the OPs question Im sure the experts here could answer without the superior condescending answers.I also have learnt a great deal from this board,so long may it reign but with a bit of compassion,cheers,Brian.

If I being one of the unwashed, lol, can sus out the OPs question ...
If (absent the OP's explanation, which had already been posted by the time you first posted to this thread) you could have worked out what the OP was really asking by posting the question "Has anyone ever flown on TAP Portugal?", then you are cleverer than I.

A literal answer to the OP's question is "yes". A slightly fuller answer might be: "11.7 million people did in 2016".

Beyond that, what were they asking about? The only clue was baggage fees, but it turned out that that was a red herring; they weren't actually interested in knowing about baggage fees at all.

But you can probably tell that I am not a believer in the maxim that there are no stupid questions. Perhaps there are no stupid questions if you're aged six and you're asking your parents, but we're grown-ups here who are capable of doing some research and some thinking before composing a meaningful question and typing it out.

Hi,perhaps the better educated experts here read questions too literally.I being a retired plumber and raised in a working class society without top marks in grammar can probably read more between the lines of the OPs question.I in the past have probably blurted out something similar without thinking the question out,cheers,Brian.

We have flown TAP within Europe. It was a very good experience. Better than some of the discount European airlines. Definately better experience than the domestic airlines here in North America. We did have a piece of checked baggage. There was not charge....but rules and regs change.

We would not hesitate to fly TAP. We are actually looking at TAP for Toronto-Lisbon this fall. Prices are very good.

We have flown TAP within Europe. It was a very good experience. Better than some of the discount European airlines. Definately better experience than the domestic airlines here in North America. We did have a piece of checked baggage. There was not charge....but rules and regs change.

We would not hesitate to fly TAP. We are actually looking at TAP for Toronto-Lisbon this fall. Prices are very good.

Thank you!

I have flown on TAP multiple times going back to the 1990s when they had L1011s.

They have been around since the 1940s. Based in Lisbon with flights to most major cities in Europe, North American and South America. They also serve a number of cities in Africa.

They have a solid safety record. In flight service is good and much better than many of the discount airlines.

They are part of Star Alliance, if that is important to you.

If we had a choice of flying economy to Europe on TAP or a NA line such as United, Delta, or AC.....we would pick TAP in a heartbeat.

Our experience is that in economy, on international routes, most European and Asian carriers are preferable to our domestic North American carriers. One exception is Alitalia.

Thanks for your input!

Some of us could sell our knowledge, but we give it away for free. And in great detail and clarity. This is not a "happy chatty social" forum if only because of the subject matter. So it's real

How about paying us a visit on the Crystal Cruise forums - many of us miss you're valuable contributions there

BTW have you caught the news that "Crystal Air" is no longer as of today - check out the threads on the Crystal forums - another failed venture - before it even got off the ground