What's good about Arcadia

Mrs Tinkywinky

There's a question that will start a huge debate!

My husband and I love her. We're on her for the 8th time on 2nd July.

Love the fact she is child free. P&O are one of the only cruise lines to have adult only ships which is a huge plus.

Love her glass lifts, numerous bars, large amount of deck space, hydrotherapy pool, covered pool, Sindhu, Ocean Grill, rear Suites........ effectively everything!

She has a dedicated cinema which most don't have. The Crow's Nest is gorgeous after a refit a couple of years ago. East Bar is lovely with wonderful views over the centre of the ship. The Piano Bar is wonderful. The main restaurant is very nice, and is a two tier restaurant with Club dining on the lower part and Freedom dining on the upper part.

There's also a great viewing area in front of the gym that not many people seem to go to - great for seeing arrivals in ports.

If she has bad points we have yet to find them.

However, if you're looking for glitzy you won't find it. No P&O ship is that - thank God.

Pretty sure others will come back with many other things.

We're sure you'll like her. [emoji4]

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

I am going on the June Baltic cruise. My friend and I only saw it as we passed the TA and booked it because of the itinary. I've looked in the threads and there aren't many posts.

So what do you good people out there think of the ship.

We have had two excellent cruises on Arcadia, one on the same itinerary that you are on.

I love the fact she is adult only.

AI assume you are going into St Petersburg. Here is a link of what to expect on an excursion...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/14/one-way-to-do-st-petersburg/

I think Cruise Puss has summed Arcadia up pretty well.

Probably the only criticism is the lack of a true atrium, but that's such a moot point its hardly worth mentioning.

She's neither too big, nor too small and has a styish yet restrained modern aesthetic.

The only thing Cruise Puss missed was it has a proper Promenade deck, we have been on 7 other ships but keep coming back to Arcadia.

Unfortunately we have had to cancel the very cruise you are are on "thanks " to illness.

Have done the itinerary before but it is a good one enjoy

I like to think she has a little bit of everything. As well as everything else mentioned I like the thermal suite and the Ocean Grill - my favourite restaurant on the fleet (lobster fan).

We have done 10 cruises on Arcadia and like her very much, I hope you have a great time x

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a question that will start a huge debate!

My husband and I love her. We're on her for the 8th time on 2nd July.

Love the fact she is child free. P&O are one of the only cruise lines to have adult only ships which is a huge plus.

Love her glass lifts, numerous bars, large amount of deck space, hydrotherapy pool, covered pool, Sindhu, Ocean Grill, rear Suites........ effectively everything!

She has a dedicated cinema which most don't have. The Crow's Nest is gorgeous after a refit a couple of years ago. East Bar is lovely with wonderful views over the centre of the ship. The Piano Bar is wonderful. The main restaurant is very nice, and is a two tier restaurant with Club dining on the lower part and Freedom dining on the upper part.

There's also a great viewing area in front of the gym that not many people seem to go to - great for seeing arrivals in ports.

If she has bad points we have yet to find them.

However, if you're looking for glitzy you won't find it. No P&O ship is that - thank God.

Pretty sure others will come back with many other things.

We're sure you'll like her. [emoji4]

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Thanks for that. It doesn't seem to have started a huge debate. There has been little response really.

I like to think she has a little bit of everything. As well as everything else mentioned I like the thermal suite and the Ocean Grill - my favourite restaurant on the fleet (lobster fan).

We have done 10 cruises on Arcadia and like her very much, I hope you have a great time x

Think I will definitely give it a try , big fish and seafood fan as well.

The only thing Cruise Puss missed was it has a proper Promenade deck, we have been on 7 other ships but keep coming back to Arcadia.

Unfortunately we have had to cancel the very cruise you are are on "thanks " to illness.

Have done the itinerary before but it is a good one enjoy

Thankyou. Perhaps a morning jog around the Prom deck to start off some early morning arrivals in port.

We did a short cruise on her a couple of years ago but recently did a 17 nighter which gave us a good chance to get a feel for her. Although I agree with most of the positive points for us there was one major negative...limited choice of eating venues. I would agree about the atrium, definitely not one to write home about so for the Captain's welcome reception on the first formal night we had to go to the Neptune Bar!! Very odd standing around the pool on formal gear! Having said all that we are on again for the Scandinavia and Russia cruise next August. Maybe there will be a Glass House by then! The positives outweigh the negatives!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would agree about the atrium, definitely not one to write home about so for the Captain's welcome reception on the first formal night we had to go to the Neptune Bar!! Very odd standing around the pool on formal gear!

Yup, that is a little unusual. especially when you're in warmer climes and the roof is closed. Phew.. it gets a little warm in there. Still, I chalk that up to being a novelty of the ship.

Having said all that we are on again for the Scandinavia and Russia cruise next August. Maybe there will be a Glass House by then!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think the next refurb is just a spruce up, no big changes.

And I'm not sure where they'd put a Glass House on the Arcadia - however that's not to say they cannot nor will not in the future.

Captain's welcome reception on the first formal night we had to go to the Neptune Bar!! Very odd standing around the pool on formal gear!

They've been holding both Captain's Welcome Receptions and Portunus/Penisular Club Parties in the indoor pool areas on Aurora and Arcadia on and off for some years, although we haven't had one for a few now. They used to hold them in Crow's Nest on Arcadia, but since it has been refurbished they no longer do so.

A few years ago we did a 17 nighter to the Adriatic, Venice etc. My best memory is spending time at the deck bar at the back of the ship, lounging in the lovely cushioned rattan chairs whilst watching beautiful sunsets. It's also a very good venue for the Hawaiian party night. We usually cruise on the larger family friendly ships so did find Arcadia different but it has its own special appeal and our cruise on her remains one of my favourites. Sure you'll have an amazing time. Enjoy!

A few years ago we did a 17 nighter to the Adriatic, Venice etc. My best memory is spending time at the deck bar at the back of the ship, lounging in the lovely cushioned rattan chairs whilst watching beautiful sunsets. It's also a very good venue for the Hawaiian party night. We usually cruise on the larger family friendly ships so did find Arcadia different but it has its own special appeal and our cruise on her remains one of my favourites. Sure you'll have an amazing time. Enjoy!

Thankyou. I may get hooked on this cruising lark !:D

Do you know if you can pay for the hydrotherapy pool separately or is it part of the spa?

You pay for it at the spa. A full cruise pass is about £150 for one and £250 for two on a 14 night cruise (I think there was a price list on one of the recent threads). You can buy day tickets but only if there are spaces, I find that people are increasingly reluctant to buy whole cruise passes and take the risk. For your money you get access to the hydropool, hot beds and steam rooms. They used to advertise the showers and steam rooms as aromatherapy rooms, but I don't think they do that anymore - in fact I only experienced it once on an early cruise. The hit beds are differing temperatures.

You pay for it at the spa. A full cruise pass is about £150 for one and £250 for two on a 14 night cruise (I think there was a price list on one of the recent threads). You can buy day tickets but only if there are spaces, I find that people are increasingly reluctant to buy whole cruise passes and take the risk. For your money you get access to the hydropool, hot beds and steam rooms. They used to advertise the showers and steam rooms as aromatherapy rooms, but I don't think they do that anymore - in fact I only experienced it once on an early cruise. The hit beds are differing temperatures.

Thankyou for the info. The odd day would be nice as we will be on shore for two thirds of the time so a full pass would not be of much use.

I was on an Arcadia cruise last month and hardly anyone used the Spa. Could that be an age thing where Arcadia passengers tend to be older? You should have no trouble getting a day pass on that ship although the other P&O ships I have travelled on (Ventura and Azura) I found the Spa better used but not overcrowded by any means.

I am on Arcadia now.

Good ..... deluxe balcony room ,good size plenty of storage

Easy ship to get around, plenty of lifts

Sindu restaurant

Ocean grill

Theatre ....seems a good size

BAD...

Entertainment , pretty dire ,there are a few good acts but entertainment areas too small

The Killer Queen night was cancelled , dont know why

Main dining room , food pretty poor , restaurant very noisy in places from the engine noise , no atmosphere especially noticable on formal night .

The main problem seems to be unhappy staff, a lot of people have commented on this ...the service levels are very poor ,serving of food is slap dash , plates slapped down, and cleared while others are eating , food cold.....we would rather eat in speciality restaurants or the buffet . It doesnt seem a happy ship , if staff are unhappy it has to have come from the top as another passenger commented.

If this ship had an itinary i liked at i price i liked we may sail on her again ,but she wont be first choice.We have spoken to passengers on their first cruise on P&O , this has not given them a good impression I am afraid

I am on Arcadia now.

Good ..... deluxe balcony room ,good size plenty of storage

Easy ship to get around, plenty of lifts

Sindu restaurant

Ocean grill

Theatre ....seems a good size

BAD...

Entertainment , pretty dire ,there are a few good acts but entertainment areas too small

The Killer Queen night was cancelled , dont know why

Main dining room , food pretty poor , restaurant very noisy in places from the engine noise , no atmosphere especially noticable on formal night .

The main problem seems to be unhappy staff, a lot of people have commented on this ...the service levels are very poor ,serving of food is slap dash , plates slapped down, and cleared while others are eating , food cold.....we would rather eat in speciality restaurants or the buffet . It doesnt seem a happy ship , if staff are unhappy it has to have come from the top as another passenger commented.

If this ship had an itinary i liked at i price i liked we may sail on her again ,but she wont be first choice.We have spoken to passengers on their first cruise on P&O , this has not given them a good impression I am afraid

Oh well. I'm going tomorrow and this is my first cruise booked solely on the itiniary so I shall report back. I can live without any evening entertainment but would like lectures and talks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Surely entertainment is not a ship specific issue, but rather a fleet wide one?

Of course it is. However Arcadia and that class of ship only has one large entertainment venue, the theatre. The globe is quite small and there is some small scale entertainment in the bar. If someone likes a lot to choose from and are used to Azura etc or indeed Oriana they will find that Arcadia is lacking in that respect.

Otherwise we think she is a lovely ship, having spent a number of cruises on her.

Have to say I agree with the above. We've just come off her today. Great holiday, but were some reservations. It was our first time on Arcadia.

Deluxe Cabins are a lot smaller than on Aurora who we are used to. If you're used to Aurora Deluxe balconies, Arcadia's are a lot smaller. Only cupboard space was two very small 2 drawer bedside cabinets. We used our suitcases under the beds as drawers. We did prefer the wardrobe space. Air con in cabin was far noisier than we've had before, but I used ear plugs so it was okay. We have a longer cruise booked on her in 18 months time and luckily we have a larger cabin booked.

The buffet was dire for seating space. I'd never understood complaints from other forum members previously, but now I understand. I am not sure if it's Arcadia or the demographic of the passengers (a lot of foreigners on this cruise which is unusual) but I dreaded the 'finding space to sit' debacle for breakfast and lunch. Once, our food was cold by the time someone deigned to share their table with us, and we are friendly! A LOT of table hogging was going on. We've never seen this on Aurora, where we never had an issue with finding a table. The tables on Arcadia are in the main arranged in groups of 4 or 6. It meant couples were taking up more spaces and despite us holding a tray and asking if they'd share, mostly the answer was 'no' someone else was coming... and most of the time we saw no one else ever sat there... I really hope in the refit, p&o put in more tables for 2, as per Aurora. I have never dreaded the buffet before :(

I heard the headliner entertainment ground to a halt because of illness (one had tonsillitis apparently, not sure on another) but sea day entertainment was not as good as Aurora, comprising in the main of sales/spa talks, paid for exercise classes and quiz after quiz. My husband enjoyed the guest speaker, but he was crammed into the Globe with standing room only for many who went along. We spoke to many who said it put them off longer cruises with more sea days. We told them this wasn't normal from our experience

We were assigned 2nd sitting (as we'd booked late) and we were happy to accept whatever we were assigned. We were shocked to be assigned a table for 2, but our table and the neighbouring table were so close, we acted as a table for 4 with regards to talking and catching up. BUT both tables were served by different waiters, so our starters and mains came at different times which was disruptive (sometimes we'd even be on different courses!). ALSO our waiter was very cold and surly. (Theirs was great) Ours Only spoke to us once (even writing down our orders he tried not to speak!) as we were leaving after the first meal, when he deigned to tell us his name!!! I resented having to pay him a so called gratuity.

Cabin was clean, and well serviced, Stewardess was friendly and always smiling. Buffet staff were friendly and helpful. Food in MDR was a bit 'samey' but I always asked for an extra vegetable side dish, and this always had a good mix of veg in it. And why do the MDR menus have a lack of hot desserts???!!! Buffet food was generally good, but their scones for afternoon tea were 1cm high... maybe they're trying to get us to pay £15per head now for the paid for afternoon tea? Umm, no!). On the Aurora Indian buffet night, the queues would be huge and unending. On Arcadia it was almost deserted. Bizarre! Not sure on other nights as we only used it the once (as the Indian nights are good).

I agree it didn't seem such a happy ship of staff, but the only really unhappy person we came across seemed to be our waiter...

Ports were excellent, Bar, Reception, Excursion and Future Sales staff were all friendly and helpful.

We'll be back on her again, as we have the cruise booked for its timing and itinerary... but my, I really really hope they've sorted out the buffet seating in the refit...

I maybe wrong, but I remember a notice somewhere (possibly in the Horizon) reminding folk in a roundabout way not to block tables in the Belvadere. Some seem to park their bums there at breakfast and don't move until the afternoon.

I wouldn't say that its an Arcadia only issue, I had the same thing on the Oceana. The only advice I'd give is to just adjust the timing so you don't go at peak time.

I wonder where they could add extra seats in the Belvadere? If you take away one of the drinks stations, then the other will be chaos.

Perhaps they could do something with the aft pool area? Then again, the bar is not going anywhere, so that leaves the smokers hideout - which could be moved (but probably prove unpopular).