How to find a new favorite lipstick?

The one lipstick that worked for me in all lights is now so long discontinued that it's not even available on ebay. I've bought, so far, six others, none of which have turned out to be flattering.

How do you go about finding the right color when this happens?

The right color is close to your nipple color....yep...that's right! Unless you're going for some "glamorous" look...pick a neutral near the color of your nipples...that will be the most flattering color for you.

The right color is close to your nipple color....yep...that's right! Unless you're going for some "glamorous" look...pick a neutral near the color of your nipples...that will be the most flattering color for you.

How does one go about finding that match while browsing cosmetics at my local Ulta? :confused:

This is absolutely correct! And as for lipstick... lipsense...enough said. And no, I don't sell it, but it's the bomb. Doesn't come off and acts as a mechanical barrier from the sun!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The one lipstick that worked for me in all lights is now so long discontinued that it's not even available on ebay. I've bought, so far, six others, none of which have turned out to be flattering.

How do you go about finding the right color when this happens?

High-end cosmetics counters (Dior, Chanel, MAC, Clinique, etc.) will often put a sample in a small container for you to take home and try. Maybe you could paint a small swipe of your old favorite on an index card, take it to Ulta or Sephora (or department stores) and swatch other colors next to it to see what comes close. This won't help you see it on your skin, but it will help with a color match.

If it helps, Clinique Chubby Stick in Whole Lotta Honey is a nice brownish neutral, and Smashbox Audition is a very nice subtle pink.

FWIW, I'm not a LipSense fan -- way too fiddly to apply, and have to keep applying gloss over it all day. But I'm in the distinct minority.

High-end cosmetics counters (Dior, Chanel, MAC, Clinique, etc.) will often put a sample in a small container for you to take home and try. Maybe you could paint a small swipe of your old favorite on an index card, take it to Ulta or Sephora (or department stores) and swatch other colors next to it to see what comes close. This won't help you see it on your skin, but it will help with a color match.

If it helps, Clinique Chubby Stick in Whole Lotta Honey is a nice brownish neutral, and Smashbox Audition is a very nice subtle pink.

FWIW, I'm not a LipSense fan -- way too fiddly to apply, and have to keep applying gloss over it all day. But I'm in the distinct minority.

Nothing has ever dried my lips like Lip Sense..gave it a POOR quality rating..

How does one go about finding that match while browsing cosmetics at my local Ulta? :confused:

Also, the inside of your lips/gums is a good "neutral". Easier than nipples.

For me, Covergirl Outlast Canyon Rose works, but YMMV.

The one lipstick that worked for me in all lights is now so long discontinued that it's not even available on ebay. I've bought, so far, six others, none of which have turned out to be flattering. How do you go about finding the right color when this happens?

Unfortunately, you just have to try a bunch and see what you like...you can get lipstick samples at Ulta, Sephora, Nordstrom, Saks etc

LipSense...yeah, didn't work for me. I found it REALLY drying and hard to use. Just not for me. Also...not a fan of MLM.

Lipsense doesn't work too well for me either, I have a friend that has sold me quite a few colors, but I get sick of having to constantly reapply the gloss and the color starts wearing off as soon as I eat or drink something. I prefer Tarte matte lip paints because they actually stay put without needing any help.

The Sephora app has a feature where you can virtually try on a ton of colors. They are also really helpful in the store and will help you try on as many as you want.

Once I was wearing plain Vaseline on my lips and my sister was raving over my 'lipstick'. She finally asked me what brand/color I was wearing. I really like a tinted gloss with sunscreen for a cruise. Some folks pull off dark or vibrant shades beautifully, but I would look like the painted lady.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dior has a lip conditioner that is clear but enhances your natural colour. Expensive but it lasts, isn't sticky or drying. It makes my lips the colour they were when I was a child.

But if you're looking for a colour not a conditioner then go to Sephora or a good department store and ask for samples. Try them out on different light and wearing different colours. Ask a trusted friend to give you their honest opinions.

I'm currently stockpiling a favourite because the one you love is always discontinued!

That is toooo funny ...glad I visited the little girls' room before I got on the computer! :D;p

I'm dieing here! Gums ...nipples...where are these people with gorgeous nipples and lovely gums? Lets just say I don't have a lot of...pigmentation?? In my ... Skin?? Lol . My lips would look paler than they already are😊

I have a collection of lip stains, crayons, lip sticks, matts, glosses...nothing ever looks good on me! Plus as if my lips weren't doomed enough I have Tourette syndrome 😲I have more facial ticks than a circus clown. So eye liners and lips color never stays on me well lol. I joke at work when it gets bad and say I must look like rabbit on crack ( my nose always moves like a rabbits only harder and with eye and mouth twitches too) ! Hmmm and you thought just finding a color was difficult...lol.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

My question is How to find a new favorite mascara.........I am on the search for one.

You can go to the major dept store brands and ask for samples. Or go to Sephora and get some trial sizes or full size if you like - they have a 30 day return policy on their makeup so nothing lost if you end up not liking something.

If you prefer drug store brands - I would recommend L'Oreal - as it is owned by Lancome (who have some fabulous mascaras) and some of them are very similar to Lancome.

I also like The Colossal - volume express by Maybelline (which I typically use as my second coat on top of various other mascaras)...;p

maybelline-colossal-volum-express-mascara-en.jpg

This morning I tried a sample of some makeup forever mascara - and it is quite lovely - may have to invest in a 'real' tube? LOL

http://www.sephora.com/smoky-extravagant-mascara-P379925

Guest maddycat

To find a lipstick, go to a Clinique counter. One of the saleswomen will help you sample their lipsticks. I've been wearing their Bamboo Pink for years. It's a creamy soft neutral beige/pink.

I personally prefer tubing mascara, it's the only kind I can wear without it ending up underneath my eyes and I've tried every expensive mascara out there! My favorite is Boots No 7, but Too Faced makes a nice one too.

You can go to the major dept store brands and ask for samples. Or go to Sephora and get some trial sizes or full size if you like - they have a 30 day return policy on their makeup so nothing lost if you end up not liking something.

If you prefer drug store brands - I would recommend L'Oreal - as it is owned by Lancome (who have some fabulous mascaras) and some of them are very similar to Lancome.

I also like The Colossal - volume express by Maybelline (which I typically use as my second coat on top of various other mascaras)...;p

maybelline-colossal-volum-express-mascara-en.jpg

This morning I tried a sample of some makeup forever mascara - and it is quite lovely - may have to invest in a 'real' tube? LOL

http://www.sephora.com/smoky-extravagant-mascara-P379925

Thanks for the link. I have tried that type of brush but I don't really like it. I went to Dillard's and am trying one by

Bobbi Brown......will see how it goes (or goes on;)).