TSA and First Class

zlato

Not quite sure of what you mean with your terminology. The "first class" (or priority) lane is nothing more than a shortcut that hopefully saves some time in getting up to the TSA ID/boarding pass checker. It works on the premise that there are fewer people with that critera than the passengers in general. However, from that point on, it's the exact same thing as regular security screening.

OTOH, Pre-Check is a separate and distinct process. Only those who are designated for PC are in those lines. Once past the ID checker, you do not have to remove your Kippie bag, your shoes, your light jackets, your computer or tablets. You also almost always pass through a WTMD rather than a body scanner, so you don't have to completely empty all pockets.

Given the choice of standard or pre-check, I'll walk further to get to a pre-check line. Night and day on ease for me.

Given the choice of priority or standard (assuming no PC), it's a matter of looking at the lines. 90+% of the time, priority will be faster, but sometimes it's the other way around (Monday mornings, as a possibility). YMMV.

One a side note assuming you are a US citizen. If traveling overseas your basic Pre Check does not work, but your first class will. You would need the Global Entry credentials.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Definitely select the TSA route. It is worth the cost and is good for a couple of years and you don't need to take off shoes, belts, jackets etc.

Just to clarify....you want Pre-Check or Global Entry. TSA is the Transportation Security Administration (the folks that do security and administer the pre check program.)

There's no difference other than maybe a special line to get you up front faster. If you don't have pre-check, then you still have to go thru what everyone else does.

This is not true, at least the last time we had the choice. The First Class line will be shorter, but you will likely still have to remove your shoes, and perhaps do other procedures common to the regular line, like take out your liquids. You likely will not do those things in the TSA Pre line.

IMO, it is airport terminal and time dependent.

Some airports will have very heavy Priority numbers, whilst for others it will always be quicker than PreCheck.

In general I'll aim for TSA PreCheck first but at some places I know Priority is quicker.

Some places it is easy to switch as the lines are adjacent.

Big difference.

With TSA Pre Approv when leaving the USA you go through security not only with a short line (usually) but you don't remove shoes, take computer out of bag, take jacket off (if light jacket), take computer out, etc. It is a very orderly process.

We have Global Entry which also includes TSA Approv.

Keith

To even have a "First Class" line, it is totally dependent on an airline's willingness to pay the airport for it. Some airports do not have a special line for an airline's non-coach passengers. If they do, it's not just for the non-coach, but also for members of the airline's frequent flyer program who have reached a certain elite level. In my use of those lines, it basically serves to get you through the document checker faster with a shorter line, but then you still have to wait for a slot at a nude-o-scope, take off your shoes, empty your bag of the Kippie bag, open the bag to expose the laptop, take off any outerwear, bend over and cough (just kidding a little on that one). For the PreCheck line, it's easy peasy - keep on the shoes, don't empty the bag, keep on a light jacket, and get the WTMD instead of the nude-o-scope. Now, that's domestic airports. I did get to use the priority lanes at CDG and FCO internationally - at CDG the time to go through security was significantly lessened - the "regular" line snaked all through the area while the line I was in was a straight shot to the officers, probably saving me a good 30 minutes one time!

Having PreCheck/GE at a foreign airport does nothing for you for security checkpoints - it's the cabin that determines your line. If you have GE, there are a few programs you may apply for to get elite access in other countries, but you have to do the interviews in that country. (Netherlands, Germany are the ones I know about).

• 4 weeks later...

We think its simply a matter of using your eyes...and common sense. As you near the lines...take a good look and do what's best at the time. And sometimes you can even get help. We once got in a TSA precheck line...only to notice that it was moving very slow. We ask a TSA employee if we were better off heading the to First Class line....and he just laughed and made us an opening (through the chains) so we could get over to the shorter line. But normally, we do think that the Pre-check is best. Most folks in that line have lots of travel experience which helps the lines more very fast (the passengers know what to do). And we do like not having to take off our shoes or drag laptops out of carry on bags.

Hank