New to Forum- transfer from Cape Liberty to JKF

Kas1010

Hi All,

I am new to forum and sorry if this is in the wrong section or been asked before.

We are a family of 4 travelling from Australia.

Question 1

We are due to arrive back in port at 6am. Do they usually arrive on time. Do you think we will be ok to make our flight at 11.30 am to La .

Question 2

Best options for transfer to JFK. Happy to take a taxi. just want to make sure we get to the airport on time, or what other options are available . RC don't offer transfers to JFK.

Thanks

Kerri

Hi All,

I am new to forum and sorry if this is in the wrong section or been asked before.

We are a family of 4 travelling from Australia.

Question 1

We are due to arrive back in port at 6am. Do they usually arrive on time. Do you think we will be ok to make our flight at 11.30 am to La .

Question 2

Best options for transfer to JFK. Happy to take a taxi. just want to make sure we get to the airport on time, or what other options are available . RC don't offer transfers to JFK.

Thanks

Kerri

Welcome to Cruise Critic. What is the exact date you would be arriving back to Cape Liberty?

11:30 flight could be tight depending on a number of factors, particularly the day of the week. The high level strategy would have to be to self disembark and have a car service like Dial7 or Carmel Limo waiting to take you to JFK. What are your other flight time options?

Thanks for your reply, 4th November is a Saturday.

What time do you usually get off the ship. I am happy to arrange a dial 7 driver /car

What time do you think I should arrange a dial 7car.

Thanks for your reply, 4th November is a Saturday.

What time do you usually get off the ship. I am happy to arrange a dial 7 driver /car

What time do you think I should arrange a dial 7car.

There are never any guarantees as to when the ship will arrive. Having said that, the Anthem usually docks by 6:00 am. For your cruise it has 2 days to get from the Bahamas to Cape Liberty, which should be ample time.

You should plan to self disembark with all your luggage between 6:30 and 7:00 am. The initial line can appear very long, but it moves quickly once the disembarkation starts. Bring your patience.

I'm assuming you're non US citizens, so I would book a car service for 8 am to allow for any customs and immigration delays. Will you have US cell phone service? I did this in Feb and I was waiting for a shuttle pickup by 7:30 am.

Just a reminder about US time changes. On Nov 5 at 2:00 am our clocks will be set back 1 hour. I'm also assuming that you have already booked your tickets for an 11:30 am flight. Are you trying to connect to a flight to Australia, or is LA your destination for the day?

What is your ship's itinerary? I would factor in additional time for the ship to be cleared for disembarkation if the cruise didn't originate in the US. Also, you say your flight is to "La". Can you clarify the flight destination? Is it Los Angeles (LAX)? If it's an international flight you need arrive at the airport even earlier than you do for a domestic flight.

In my opinion an 11:30 am departure from JFK is too early for comfort. I don't care what day of the week although weekends are better than weekdays. Ships can arrive in port late. CBP can delay clearing a ship for disembarkation. You're not a US citizen so you may under go additional screening upon arrival. Traffic in NY City can be an unpredictable nightmare. Sorry to be an alarmist, but I would never book a flight that early from JFK...not that you can't make it if everything goes according to schedule, but a delay in even one step of the process means you may miss the flight.

To maximize your chances of making your flight, I fully agree that you should book a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo for an 8 am pick up.

Edited by njhorseman

I am worried now, travel agency booked the flights and said we should be ok. :(

I will arrange a car 730am. I will have a US phone so hopefully I should be able to call the car company.

What is the average time frame to get to the airport on a Saturday.

It will only be a domestic flight as we will fly from JFK - LAX and we don't leave the country until the following day.

"Typical" travel time from BCT (72 Browne St as GPS address) hardly exist but is more predictable on weekend morning, where traffic is generally lighter - weather permitting and without major road constructions ... and there is no tolls to pay. Travel time likely vary from 45 to 75 minutes on 1 of 3 routes, whichever is best - driver from Dial 7 or Carmel will choose.

I tend to select the Belt Parkway, the longest route (free of commercial, bus & truck traffic) at 24 miles vs. going on the BQE thru Queens & then south on the Van Wyck, shorter by about 6 miles but most prone to problems - or use local streets via Atlantic Avenue ... with plenty of traffic lights, stop signs and quite a few tricky turns (I only drive this on my local commuting routine as a last resort - shortest at 12 miles).

As long as you are in the car service by 9 AM or 9:15 AM, you should be fine - reaching JFK between 10 and 10:30 AM - unless weather forecast indicating otherwise. Both Dial 7 and Carmel has free mobile APP to book and keep track of your confirmed reservations/pickup - including driver/vehicle assigned once it's en route - SMS/text and/or email will be generated & typically, driver will call you to reconfirm exact pickup spot outside the terminal area.

Flying domestic, if you can do mobile online check-in before getting to JFK, it will speed your thru security faster - and, check with your carrier about curbside check-in for our luggage, especially if you are on a tight schedule last minute, worth the extra tipping. Airport security can be slower on weekends and priority lanes aren't always open, not even for elite status/flyers & those in J or F class.